Ballwin, MO
Students enrolled: 1,222

West High School 4

Posted October 30, 2012
We've been very happy with the academic environment at West High, but disappointed with the sports program: poor communication, disorganized, lack of empathy and arrogant attitude of coach, very discouraging environment unless your child is best athlete on team or has ability to kiss up to the coach. Would like to see a more participation-driven program with coaches who appreciate the fact that they have the power to directly influence a child's self-esteem. I never thought I would want my child to quit sports; I do now. It's unfortunate.

Posted November 06, 2009

Posted September 14, 2009
I'm a previous student and I absolutely loved my high school years because I attended West. I transferred into West for freshman year and was immediatelly accepted by students, teachers, and the administration. Yes it can sometimes be policitical, but is there any high school where it isn't political? I was prepared for College because of the school's acadmeics and counseling.

West High School 1

Posted August 31, 2009

Posted December 11, 2008
A superior school in an area of average schools. The St. Louis area isn't known for high quality education, but this and a small minority of schools buck that trend. West high has a higher than average number of national merit scholars and its graduates are accepted to some of the finest colleges in America. the programs at the school are innovative and cutting edge and the faculty are highly qualified and committed to kids. We have nothing but great things to say about this school and when moving to St. Louis for work were fortunate to have friends recommend West to us. We are glad they did.

West High School 4

Posted September 27, 2007
The academic programs are superior. These kids have access to every imaginable learning tool possible. This is a very high tax based funded school. This is a 'cookie cutter' type atmosphere. If your child is the least bit creative, or prefers physical activities other then the 'head game' sports of Football, VB, Baseball, look out!The parents of many of the 'popular' act as if they are still attending this HS.

Posted February 26, 2007
- a former student
Sports is a big thing and it is taken serious, this is evident on awards day when most of the awards given out are for sports and not academic achievement. Race Relations could definitely be improved especially since Parkway is well known for its racial problems. As a former student, there aren't any teachers that stand out in my memory so that could mean that they weren't that fanatastic: same old, same old. The orchestra program under Mrs. Victoria Lottes was excellent, but once she left it, that ended.

Posted September 28, 2006
My 4th child is a freshman at West High. Academics is the emphasis, then sports. Even then, sports is not taken seriously. The rest, music, art, etc. is extraneous. School spirit and participation is low, among the students, compared to other schools, but high among parents. West has a high percentage of teachers with Masters degrees. Most dissatisfaction with teachers is due to teaching style and personal-ity, not lack of qualifications. The student counseling services listen, but don't 'do' much. Attendance, behavior, class performance, etc. is not reported to parents until it reaches the crises level, when solutions are limited. This happens even if the parent is actively involved in many school organizations and contacts teachers, administrators, and counselors regularly. I have had my children in other schools that were much more responsive and took the initiative, when there was a problem that the parent would not be aware of.

Posted February 11, 2005

Posted July 06, 2004
- a former student
I am a former student from the class of 1995. I complete disliked and have a lack of respect for the leadership as well as the staff from this campus. If you are an African American this is not the school for you. There was a lack of African Americans represented on the staff and adminstrative levels. The school has failed when it comes to race relations. As an African American, if you could not play a sport you were unimportant. I had one African American teacher (English) my entire high school carreer. If you can afford a private school there are many in this area. I hope this school will come into the 21st century one day and hire some minorities to represent their student body.

West High School
14653 Clayton Rd, Ballwin, MO  63011
Last modified West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top