No rating

Chesterfield Montessori School

Private | PK-9 | 161 students

We are best known for authentic, AMI Montessori education.

Living in Chesterfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted May 21, 2014

Lise R.04/23/2014 My children have been enrolled at Chesterfield Montessori School for many years, from primary through elementary, and we could not be happier. This is authentic Montessori as it was meant to be, from toddler through middle school. My children are critical thinkers, confident, engaged, love learning and coming to school. The Montessori philosophy is based on hands-on, student-centered learning in mixed-age classrooms, allowing each child to develop naturally following their individual learning style. Montessori education has been proven through pediatric neuropsychology to follow the brain development of the child--just check out what Dr. Stephen Hughes has to say. As a parent, I have seen firsthand how authentic Montessori education promotes and fosters independence, confidence, and ultimately a lifelong passion for learning. CMS has been extremely successful in preparing children to go on to the best schools in the country for over 30 years. After an observation in any of the classrooms at CMS, you will see happy, excited, curious children who are truly engaged and loving the work they are doing.

Posted April 2, 2014

The curiculum was definitely in keeping with Montessori philosophy. Teachers are well educated. The Head of School definitely favors those who have an abundance of disposable funds. When any issue arose, the school was willing to kick the student out rather than deal with any issues. There was some bullying, it was addressed, but not in as timely a fashion as one would expect at such a high quality school, espousing the beliefs of Maria Montessori. There was a dearth of after-school programs as well. I would urge parents loking for a Montessori school to lok elsewhere if you cannot "donate" extra funds. Your child will not be given the proper attention otherwise. I saw this happen to numerous families, most of which wound up leaving the school.

Posted September 24, 2013

My child attended CMS for 3 years. I can honestly say that she received an "Authentic" Montessori education at this school. The teachers there were absolutely amazing. My child misses it very much and wont stop talking about it. I tried another Montessori school in the area because we moved away and I have to say, after being at CMS, I don't understand how other schools can even call themselves Montessori! Thank you CMS for all that you have done for my child.

Posted June 21, 2013

Our child has been at CMS for two and a half years and we could not be happier with the school, its administration, and our child's academic and personal progress thus far. CMS' acadmics are, of course, top notch, and we have had nothing but good experiences with the office staff and the other parents. But the most amazing (and unexpected) thing about CMS has been the wonderful community that the school creates for the children. The culture of the school is one of grace and courtesy, kindness, mutual respect and tolerance, and you never, ever have to worry about things like bullying (a real issue in other schools). At CMS, they really are teaching the whole child, and the results are amazing! Although we are by no means 'wealthy', CMS is the best investment we can make in our child's future and I am so grateful that we have this amazing educational opportunity!

Posted June 3, 2013

CMS is a highly established, world renown, institute of learning that provides authentic Montessori education for children ages 16 months through eighth grade. The Montessori philosophy is based on hands-on, student-centered learning in mixed-age classrooms where the children are guided and are encouraged to work together, teach themselves, and learn from one another in a beautiful environment where the children are responsible for their own learning based on their interests and individual learning styles. As a former parent, I have seen firsthand how this incredible philosophy of education promotes and fosters independence, confidence, and ultimately a lifelong passion for learning. CMS has been extremely successful in preparing children to go on to the best schools in the country for over 30 years. After an observation in any of the classrooms at CMS, you will see happy, excited, curious children who are truly engaged and loving the work they are doing.

Posted May 23, 2013

CMS is the very best place for our two children, we have loved every minute of our time there. The teachers and staff are supportive and loving to our children. Our children's education is a top priority and we feel that CMS is given them endless opprunties for their futures. I would highly recommend this school to anyone, they are exceptional leaders, teachers and role models to the children. The teachers and staff are available if you need to speak or meet with them at anytime. We have been there for 4 years and I have never once felt that we were not in the know about what was going on with our children. The work that our children are able to do at their age is mind blowing, they are receiving a top notch education at what I feel is the best school in Saint Louis County. The classrooms are well organized and well kept, our children are self motivated to pick their own work and to work at their pace. They are free to be creatvie and be themselves. The most important thing to us is that our children love learning and that is something that will stay with them forever. The Montessori way is to teach children the love of learning and that is exactly what CMS does and then some!!!

Posted May 21, 2013

As an alumn, I believe that CMS is a wonderful school that helps children reach their full potential. I began my CMS experience at age three. In Primary, I learned how to be responsible for myself. I enjoyed choosing educational activities and learned the importance of organization. By first grade it was habitual to find meaningful work and complete assignments in a timely manner. In the elementary program I began to develop my research skills. Montessori students find a topic that interests them and research it extensively, and then give a presentation on their findings. I had no idea I was developing skills that would benefit me in high school and in every aspect of my life. The elementary program also taught me how to best manage my time. My classmates and I kept "work logs," a journal in which we recorded our daily activities and how our time was spent. By learning how to manage my time early in life, juggling homework, college applications and extracurricular activities during high school was simple. I currently attend Whitfield and will be attending University of St Andrews in Scotland in September. I believe CMS gave me a strong foundation for academic achievement.

Posted May 16, 2013

I just noticed this latest review and had to write something which I don't normally do but the unfortunate experiences of this parent is an exception since it really doesn't reflect the culture at CMS that we've experienced for the last 6 years. I am a teacher myself and we've been at CMS since 2007 and have two children at this school: primary and 2nd grade. I have never seen anyone gossiping about other families and the administration is exceptionally responsive to our needs and concerns. It is academically a very strong school there's no doubt about that however we are also a big family here at CMS; CMS is a very strong community. We help each other out (most of us are working moms) and we love each of those children as our own. The principal can be tough at times, I agree, but that's her job and she's doing an excellent job educating successful, caring and joyful children! Visit and see for yourself:)

Posted November 6, 2012

We really loved their toddler program and the teachers there were pronominal; However, in the primary program, we had an absolutely awful experience with the school's teachers and leadership. Terrible communication from the school regarding just daily stuff as well as potential concerns. When an issue arose, the first time we heard about it was at the meeting when we were asked to find another program. We were then given 2 weeks to move our child. The school's only stated concern was for their classroom's environment and no stated consideration was given for the best interest of our child or a smooth transition. As far as we were told there were no issues with our child being violent or destructive and the reason the school gave for their action was that our kid "lacked focus." For context, our child was just 3 yo. The school is scheduled off 3-4 weeks every year without break care available, which is not easy for working parents. Also they started pushing for donations on top of the tuition, aftercare, break care, and lunches that already added up to around 1800/mo. All for the privilege of being in class with a ratio of about 26 kids in primary for 2 teachers.

Posted August 24, 2012

The first time I visited Chesterfield Montessori School I was truly overwhelmed. What struck me was the peaceful, orderly environment in which the children learn and the mutual respect between students and teachers. I was unfamiliar with Montessori education before our son attended CMS. After one visit we were convinced that this was where we wanted our child to be educated. He started at CMS at two and a half and every year his work is consistently above grade level. CMS is AMI certified and the Head of School is very committed to upholding the highest caliber of education and respect for every student. The graduates of CMS go on to attend the best schools in St. Louis. We are genuinely grateful that our son has the opportunity to not only get a quality Montessori education, but one at CMS. Any prospective parents should visit this school, talk to the staff and the parents. It is one of the best decisions we ever made.

Posted April 13, 2012

If you're looking for a Montessori school; this is the right one for your children. My son started when he was 2,5 and he's now in 1st grade. My daughter started last year when she was 2,5. First of all they both love going to CMS! It's a joy to see them learn and excel far beyond their grade level and enjoy it at the same time. The teachers are very well-trained and nurturing. The principal is excellent; she seems tough but really cares about the children. My husband and I are strong advocates of Montessori education and after visiting many Montessori schools we've chosen CMS and have not regretted it. We've been very happy with CMS every single day since we joined in 2007.

Posted May 5, 2011

We love Chesterfield Montessori School. It is everything a school should be: strong academics, caring environment, attentive instructors. The wonderful thing is you also get an amazing shared community. My children are excited and happy to attend school each and every day. They want to learn and are eager to explore. To me, that is the most important thing.

Posted May 5, 2011

My son has gone to CMS for over 3 years. He started at 16 months in the toddler program. It's amazing the way the teachers at CMS set a calm tone and the children are able to focus on their work and feel a huge sense of accomplishment at a very early age. Ms. Jana and Ms. Laura have given me such great advice on how to set up a learning environment at home and it has made all the difference. Take away the stress that some traditional schools have with homework and deadlines and "listen to teacher now" mentality and what you get is a classroom full of students who feel in control of their environment, learning and behavior. The results are more than you can imagine. 6 year olds doing 3rd grade material well. Pythagorean theorem done like I've never seen before. Primary children that can list all the countries in Africa. And more... Take a tour and see for yourself!

Posted April 20, 2011

There are many reasons I love this school, but I will try to limit it to a few. First, the school environment is welcoming and orderly. On my oldest daughter's first visit to the school, she was welcomed with a handshake and met at eye level by the teacher. To my surprise, she left my side and engaged easily with the other children - she did not do this at the other schools we visited. The staff also is professional and compassionate about the children. This can be witnessed by the warm smiles that every staff person displays toward each child. Second, academically the school is head and shoulders above many similarly-situated schools. My five year old daughter s reading and comprehension level is well above many of her peers who also attend private schools. She writes many observations that seem mind boggling to me, but normal for her, in CURSIVE! Third, as a parent I feel as if we are a part of a family. I love the school and encourage parents who are looking for a different approach to learning that WORKS to visit the school to observe a warm and nurturing environment.

Posted February 21, 2011

Our child is receiving the best education we could ever dream of at CMS. it is accredited by AMI, the Association created by Dra. Montessori herself. Every single member of the staff is devoted to making the school the BEST. Kept meticulously clean by the people who come in daily for upkeep, the staff, and even children themselves. (Being responsible for your own upkeep and that of your classmates and classroom is an integral part of the Montessori experience.) Our child is learning his third language, and has the loveliest accent, taught to him by a most excellent French teacher. The Directresses he has had have been a dream to work with. A point to emphasize: We work WITH the Directresses. A difference of opinion is not just tolerated then ignored. The Head of School is, after more than 25 years enthusiastic about the school and each student. Our child is encouraged to do his very best, and compared with peers of the same age in other schools is quite advanced educationally and socially. I hope anyone considering this school has found this a helpful review. Much good luck to you.

Posted January 7, 2011

AMI schools are wonderful, and CMS is also accredited by the ISACS! This one, in particular, brings out the love of learning in the children while communicating nicely with the parents. We are excited they will be adding an adolescent program next year to expand the grade levels offered!

Posted January 6, 2011

Chesterfield Montessori is wonderful! Our daughter just started there this year, and I already have fallen in love with this school. The best part about Montessori education, to me, is that the children can progress at their own rate, and here the teachers seem to be very much on top of things - they pay attention to each student as an individual, and not only do they keep our daughter progressing and learning, but they actually talk to us about her progress and keep us in the loop also!

Posted December 2, 2010

Just loved this school. My daughter would be going soon there. Their way of teaching kids is very different and playful. In my opinion its very nice as kids learn so much while just playing.

Posted December 1, 2010

Chesterfield Montessori has been a godsend to our family! Each of our children has felt free to express her individuality and pursue her passions. Our oldest is now in high school and I can trace her independence, innovative problem solving skills and self-confidence to her experience at CMS. Our girls have very different learning styles yet both have flourished with the authentic Montessori education they've received at CMS

Posted April 23, 2009

This school is the real deal. Excellent academics, respect for the children, beautiful environment, fantastic teachers. The kids are peaceful and self motivated. I've had my kids at Chesterfield Montessori for over eight years - there just isn't a better education to be had in St. Louis than CMS.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Korean
Italian
German
French
Dutch
Kannada, Hindi, Czech
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Anita Chastain
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Girl scouts
  • Model UN

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council