PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 04, 2015
Miss Jorgenson taught US History last year, and she was perhaps the best teacher I have ever had. She respected and encouraged us to share our opinions while still challenging them, and honestly, considering how loud and obnoxious our class was, she put up with a lot more than I probably could have.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 04, 2015
The teachers at this school have impacted me so much, and I think it would be hard to find better teachers anywhere.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 04, 2015
I did feel during my time here that teachers didn't correspond enough about the workload. At some points, we were supposed to have a certain amount of homework in all of our classes combined in one night, but teachers gave us homework that took up or exceeded the amount of time we were supposed to spend doing homework.

Posted November 04, 2015
I went to this school for three years, and then, hoping to gain a better perspective, switched to a boarding school for high school that I hoped would be similar to CIS. However, I find that although my current school is great, it is unable to replicate the educational value and warm atmosphere of Columbia Independent School. Although I had intended to stay at my current school until I graduate, I find myself desperately wishing to return to CIS. I may not have agreed with my teachers most of the time, and I may have complained incessantly about the workload and the superior attitudes of some people, I recognize that there is no better place for me than at CIS. In a way, I have come to view CIS as my home.

Columbia Independent School 1

Posted November 05, 2014
I'm sure it's a good fit for some kids and families, just did not work for us.

Columbia Independent School 2

Posted October 27, 2014
Not that much better than public school for the extremely high tuition they expect you to pay.

Posted September 08, 2014
I can't even begin to describe how much my daughter truly loves her time at CIS. This is her second year there. Her jk teachers were the most lovely women that could have been working with my daughter and too see how much she progressed in such a short time... AMAZING! I hope that she can continue her education there for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine a better learning environment. Thank you CIS for being a safe and caring place for my kiddo!

Columbia Independent School 1

Posted November 01, 2013
I am a former student of Columbia Independent School. They are really great at marketing, and have a clear message that their focus is on an academically challenging curriculum that prepares students for college. They are altogether unable to deliver on this promise. At the high school level, the class sizes are very small. This is not a good thing! The classes may be called "AP" but they are remedial level. The teachers must cater to the lowest common denominator. If the sophomores in AP English struggle to comprehend things written at an 8th grade level, the class becomes an 8th grade English class. Kids at this school develop little more than an inflated ego. Social skills are laughable. Academic ability is pathetic. Both Rock Bridge and Hickman High School have the ability to really serve students of all levels, instead of cramming them into a ridiculously expensive classroom and bragging about small classroom sizes.

Columbia Independent School 2

Posted May 15, 2012
My 2 children have been going to CIS for 5 years now. Their lower school programis great, but the middle and high school...not so much. My daughter has been struggling this year a lot. The teaches seem to not care about the students education. One of the teachers keeps making fun of my daughter everyday. Today my daughter was crying because her English teacher assigned her an essay that she didn't teach them how to write. It was a big struggle. That is when i realized we needed to make a change. I've enrolled both my children into Jefferson Junior, and Rockbridge high school. I really am not satisfied with this school lately.

Posted December 10, 2011
I have been going to this school for 8 years now, since Kindergarten, and I have loved it here! The teachers bring new, and fun challenges for the class every day, and they help every person learn to behave well. The music program is great; there are now 3 levels of orchestra- beginning, intermeditate, and advanced. The Choir program at CIS couldn't be better, the director makes music fun and exciting and lets students bring out the music inside them and share it with the world. Latin is a unique program in the school, and it is taught to the middle school and high school. It helps expand our vocabulary and grammar. The lower school now teaches French and Spanish and my little sisters are enjoying it a lot! With small classes, it is easy to make friends. Every day, when I go through the school doors, I think to myself "Today I will learn something fun and new, and I will go home that afternoon already smarter than I was the night before." I plan to stay at this great school until I graduate!

1801 North Stadium Boulevard, Columbia, MO  65202
Last modified Columbia Independent School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12