Columbia Independent School 1

Posted November 05, 2014
I'm sure it's a good fit for some kids and families, just did not work for us.

Columbia Independent School 2

Posted October 27, 2014
Not that much better than public school for the extremely high tuition they expect you to pay.

Posted September 08, 2014
I can't even begin to describe how much my daughter truly loves her time at CIS. This is her second year there. Her jk teachers were the most lovely women that could have been working with my daughter and too see how much she progressed in such a short time... AMAZING! I hope that she can continue her education there for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine a better learning environment. Thank you CIS for being a safe and caring place for my kiddo!

Columbia Independent School 1

Posted November 01, 2013
I am a former student of Columbia Independent School. They are really great at marketing, and have a clear message that their focus is on an academically challenging curriculum that prepares students for college. They are altogether unable to deliver on this promise. At the high school level, the class sizes are very small. This is not a good thing! The classes may be called "AP" but they are remedial level. The teachers must cater to the lowest common denominator. If the sophomores in AP English struggle to comprehend things written at an 8th grade level, the class becomes an 8th grade English class. Kids at this school develop little more than an inflated ego. Social skills are laughable. Academic ability is pathetic. Both Rock Bridge and Hickman High School have the ability to really serve students of all levels, instead of cramming them into a ridiculously expensive classroom and bragging about small classroom sizes.

Columbia Independent School 2

Posted May 15, 2012
My 2 children have been going to CIS for 5 years now. Their lower school programis great, but the middle and high school...not so much. My daughter has been struggling this year a lot. The teaches seem to not care about the students education. One of the teachers keeps making fun of my daughter everyday. Today my daughter was crying because her English teacher assigned her an essay that she didn't teach them how to write. It was a big struggle. That is when i realized we needed to make a change. I've enrolled both my children into Jefferson Junior, and Rockbridge high school. I really am not satisfied with this school lately.

Posted December 10, 2011
I have been going to this school for 8 years now, since Kindergarten, and I have loved it here! The teachers bring new, and fun challenges for the class every day, and they help every person learn to behave well. The music program is great; there are now 3 levels of orchestra- beginning, intermeditate, and advanced. The Choir program at CIS couldn't be better, the director makes music fun and exciting and lets students bring out the music inside them and share it with the world. Latin is a unique program in the school, and it is taught to the middle school and high school. It helps expand our vocabulary and grammar. The lower school now teaches French and Spanish and my little sisters are enjoying it a lot! With small classes, it is easy to make friends. Every day, when I go through the school doors, I think to myself "Today I will learn something fun and new, and I will go home that afternoon already smarter than I was the night before." I plan to stay at this great school until I graduate!

Posted May 25, 2011
My son entered 10th grade at CIS this Fall. It has been a life changer. The small classes, dedicated teachers and caring environment have helped him to mature, gain confidence and become engaged in his education. He has the opportunity to participate in many extra curricular activiting includes yearbook, jazz band and basketball. The public school is so large that he would not have had these opportunities in that environment. The teachers clearly care about their students and work to create engaging materials to challenge them. My son has responded to this by taking a greater interest in his education, becoming more responsible and seeking more appropriate feedback. CIS has a strong committment to diversity and global perspectives. Many students travel abroad as part of the curriculm and there are many international students on campus. His classmates have been accepted to selective colelges throughout the U.S., many with scholarships. I highly recommend this school.

Posted October 23, 2009
Our daughter was bored at the public elementary school in our area, and we had the fortunate opportunity to enroll her at CIS. Since she started attending there, she is again excited about learning. School is once again a place where she learns NEW things! She is much more confident and eager to speak up. This isn't just a school; it is a community that enables each child to perform his/her best, try new things, and be heard. This is an environment in which children don't just learn ... they thrive!

Columbia Independent School 4

Posted June 23, 2009
CIS just keeps getting better all the time. I have had children there for six years now, and we are all happily anticipating another. My children have flourished in the small, personalized environment. The teachers have encouraged them to try everything, and they have done sports almost every season, been in school plays, orchestra, jazz band, student council, participated in Science Olympiad, gone overseas with the Latin class, and I don't know what all else. The classes are challenging, the kids are held to rigorous standards, and perhaps best of all, the kids are developing into just plain NICE people. This is not an accident. The example set by the teachers and staff is impeccable. Any infringement of civility on the part of a student is firmly corrected. It is truly a place that nourishes all areas of development.

Posted April 06, 2009
My daughter is currently a kindergarten student at CIS. I cannot say enough about how much we love this school. The amount that she is learning compared to public school is astounding, currently per teachers in the family doing first grade work 3 months prior to end of kindergarten year. As long as we stay in Columbia and can afford it, it will be impossible for us to consider another place for our child. It would seem like settling for a second-rate education.

Columbia Independent School
1801 North Stadium Boulevard, Columbia, MO  65202
Last modified Columbia Independent School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Columbia Independent School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top