Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Our grandson was tested at Lee for the EEE gifted program. He tested very high and was invited to be in the program. He has loved it, until his awkward social skills (shyness, etc) and resulting behavioral challenges became annoying to them . In first grade he has been labled as a problem and treated as such. This is a child that is loving, kind, talented, intelligent, and socially awkward. Which is not unusual in gifted children. His parents were both gifted, and they have worked with him at home since birth. He loves learning. Lee is doing nothing to work with him and develop his talents. His parents tried very hard to move him to a different school because his interests are more STEM related, but the school district won't allow it. He is stuck, unless his parents move, which they cannot afford to do and should not need to. Very sad to be 7 and pidgeon-holed already.

Despite some of the reviews I have read here I must say that Lees approach in putting the arts in a seemingly prioritized light has been a great way for my child to remain excited and involved on a day after day basis. The fact is that the "harder" real world subjects such as math or the endeavor of learning to read and write ALWAYS involve large amounts of boredom and frustration. These issues must be overcome at home where kids are uninhibited. If you find that your child is struggling it is important to make sure that you are doing all you can at home with your own time. Parents don't have their own time but it seems some parents think that education is the schools job. Schools provide curriculum, structure and a social atmosphere. Parents provide education. Lee is a great facilitator of my child's interest in her education and makes my responsibility to educate her much easier than most public schools. Thank you all so much!

I completely agree with other recent reviews. The school does not put any focus on any other subjects other than the arts. I am a huge proponent of arts programs but as a supplement to a curriculum that teaches kids the necessities. Our daughter began her school career under Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Kephart and we/she had a great experience all the way around. Now in first grade, she doesn't enjoy school, her new 1st year teacher is completely inconsistent with assignments, and when we requested a class change we were told it couldn't happen. She struggles with behavioral and educational issues that were not a problem previously. She always excelled at everything until this year, where it seems she has now stalled completely. We believe that it may be time to start homeschooling in order to get her the education that she needs/deserves.

Lee's artistic approach doesn't seem to incorporate any of the other subjects well. We've gone for 3 years and have had troubles keeping up. The only time we've met levels is when supplemented with homeschooling during our own time.

We went to Lee hoping for a solid education that used the arts to explain concepts. Lee supports expressive arts - they just don't seem to tether the arts and teaching together very well. Our child is struggling in math and barely reading, but can sing "the blues". Not what we were after.

Lee is an EXPRESSIVE arts school, where the faculty works together to integrate the arts with the traditional core curricula. (however,do not expect an "arts academy type school) By learning through music, visual art & dance, kids get a broad based education that keeps them engaged and interested. This school is unique in that 50% of the students and families live in the "lee" boundaries, but the other 50% are here by special request. The school's location near the MU campus enhances the diversity of the student population and provides many unique learning opportunities--students regularly engage in "real world" learning activities and frequently take walking field trips. I would say that this school is weak in academic RIGOR,but I have felt that my kids are getting a good educational experience that teaches them to respect others, to appreciate the arts, and to make connections between what they're learning at school & real life. The current PTA is growing and active. Parents & community organizations are very involved at this school and my children enjoy attending here. Behavior issues seem minimal. Some issues with weak new teachers will hopefully be resolved soon.

Lee is advertised as the progressive arts school so I transferred my daughter there. VERY disappointed. They didn't teach her to read. She hated doing her homework because she was getting no direction or support. Every issue was essentially a parenting issue, the staff and especially the administration is above review. She actually quit doing art at home which she formerly loved. There has been no program continuity with the new principle. Long story short I transferred her to Russell elementary in our own neighborhood. She went from reading below grade level to above in 3 months,it's easy to get her to do her homework, and all the parenting issues have magically resolved themselves. Do not believe the hype..

Lee was really hyped up and I thought my daughter was going to be attending a really incredible school. We moved from California and she was going to a very cool 'project based learning' school. I don't know if the new principal is the reason or if the curriculum has changed. Since my daughter began Lee she wakes up everyday and cry's and says, 'I hate school' and 'I don't want to go to school'! This is from a child who has always been eager to learn and has been above average as a student. Not every school is right for every child. We are removing her from their program and putting her into a different school. Many parents say they do not care for this principal. I would investigate it thoroughly before selecting this school. If your child is above average and needs a challege, Iook elsewhere.

I think that the skool is excellent every day my child goes to school she comes home and tell me she learned some thing different but hey eep up yhr good work lee school teachers and staffs and thanks forall the help

My family LOVES Lee. The school offers so many opportunities and perspectives--a commitment to the arts, a diverse student population, a wide range of special projects, countless field trip opportunitites. The teachers are dedicated, accessible and tuned in to students' indvidual needs.

Last modified Robert E. Lee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.