Posted November 09, 2013
I completely agree with other recent reviews. The school does not put any focus on any other subjects other than the arts. I am a huge proponent of arts programs but as a supplement to a curriculum that teaches kids the necessities. Our daughter began her school career under Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Kephart and we/she had a great experience all the way around. Now in first grade, she doesn't enjoy school, her new 1st year teacher is completely inconsistent with assignments, and when we requested a class change we were told it couldn't happen. She struggles with behavioral and educational issues that were not a problem previously. She always excelled at everything until this year, where it seems she has now stalled completely. We believe that it may be time to start homeschooling in order to get her the education that she needs/deserves.

Posted July 01, 2013
Lee's artistic approach doesn't seem to incorporate any of the other subjects well. We've gone for 3 years and have had troubles keeping up. The only time we've met levels is when supplemented with homeschooling during our own time.

Posted January 25, 2013
We went to Lee hoping for a solid education that used the arts to explain concepts. Lee supports expressive arts - they just don't seem to tether the arts and teaching together very well. Our child is struggling in math and barely reading, but can sing "the blues". Not what we were after.

Robert E. Lee Elementary School 4

Posted April 15, 2012
Lee is an EXPRESSIVE arts school, where the faculty works together to integrate the arts with the traditional core curricula. (however,do not expect an "arts academy type school) By learning through music, visual art & dance, kids get a broad based education that keeps them engaged and interested. This school is unique in that 50% of the students and families live in the "lee" boundaries, but the other 50% are here by special request. The school's location near the MU campus enhances the diversity of the student population and provides many unique learning opportunities--students regularly engage in "real world" learning activities and frequently take walking field trips. I would say that this school is weak in academic RIGOR,but I have felt that my kids are getting a good educational experience that teaches them to respect others, to appreciate the arts, and to make connections between what they're learning at school & real life. The current PTA is growing and active. Parents & community organizations are very involved at this school and my children enjoy attending here. Behavior issues seem minimal. Some issues with weak new teachers will hopefully be resolved soon.

Robert E. Lee Elementary School 2

Posted April 20, 2010
Lee is advertised as the progressive arts school so I transferred my daughter there. VERY disappointed. They didn't teach her to read. She hated doing her homework because she was getting no direction or support. Every issue was essentially a parenting issue, the staff and especially the administration is above review. She actually quit doing art at home which she formerly loved. There has been no program continuity with the new principle. Long story short I transferred her to Russell elementary in our own neighborhood. She went from reading below grade level to above in 3 months,it's easy to get her to do her homework, and all the parenting issues have magically resolved themselves. Do not believe the hype..

Robert E. Lee Elementary School 2

Posted December 09, 2009
Lee was really hyped up and I thought my daughter was going to be attending a really incredible school. We moved from California and she was going to a very cool 'project based learning' school. I don't know if the new principal is the reason or if the curriculum has changed. Since my daughter began Lee she wakes up everyday and cry's and says, 'I hate school' and 'I don't want to go to school'! This is from a child who has always been eager to learn and has been above average as a student. Not every school is right for every child. We are removing her from their program and putting her into a different school. Many parents say they do not care for this principal. I would investigate it thoroughly before selecting this school. If your child is above average and needs a challege, Iook elsewhere.

Posted November 26, 2009
I think that the skool is excellent every day my child goes to school she comes home and tell me she learned some thing different but hey eep up yhr good work lee school teachers and staffs and thanks forall the help

Posted January 11, 2008
My family LOVES Lee. The school offers so many opportunities and perspectives--a commitment to the arts, a diverse student population, a wide range of special projects, countless field trip opportunitites. The teachers are dedicated, accessible and tuned in to students' indvidual needs.

Posted June 18, 2007
My child has attended Lee School for the past 2 years. The staff is great. They are involved and really care about their students. The school counselor went out of her way when we had a issue at home to help my child. My son has excelled at Lee, learning at his individual ability. His weaknesses found and worked on to improve. His strengths brought forward to aid him in excelling. Music and art were very important for me growing up and I am glad it is a part of his education. I attended one of the Lee get togethers recently and the turn out was amazing. The level of parent involvement is outstanding.

Posted May 12, 2007
My daughter began Kindergarten at Lee last fall. We moved out-of-state in February and the hardest part was taking her from her school. Lee has an 'expressive arts' program which integrates the arts into all subjects. This is a phenomenal teaching tool. The art and music teachers are fantastic. The entire administration of the school is top-notch from the principal and secretary to the custodians and lunch helpers. The principal and counselor were out to greet parents and students every morning. And the classroom teachers were very concerned and involved with the kids and their families. It is such a friendly and caring place. The school has children representing a wide diversity of cultures and socio-economic backgrounds -- all respected and taught to work together. It really is a little slice of what the world should be. I am still sad that my daughter isn't there.

Robert E. Lee Elementary School
1208 Locust, Columbia, MO  65201
Last modified Robert E. Lee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert E. Lee Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.