Bad
Good

Posted March 21, 2015
I was nervous as my first child just entered Kindergarten, and I am from a smaller town that only had 3 elementary schools. Shepard has been great! Teachers are very good, and take time to explain anything I have a question on. This year they are expanding and getting rid of all the Trailers! I am so excited for next year to see it complete. I hate the idea of a bunch of trailers as a school. It is in a great area and the only instance of any kind of bullying was a kindergartner who just hadn't quite figured out what school was about early in the year. No issues since!

Shepard Blvd. Elementary School 1

Posted March 13, 2015
My son went to this school when he was younger and they are not very good at handling special needs children that have behavior problems.

Posted April 02, 2014
Shepard is a wonderful environment where student's education and development are the main priorities. The students are taught the 7 habits and then encouraged to live by them. My son has a 504 and it is taken very seriously and the teachers have helped him to grow as not only a learner but a person. It really is a wonderful school.

Posted August 31, 2008
I cannot say enough good things about Shepard. The staff is wonderful and makes it a point to know every student and their parents. The PTA is wonderful and very involved in making Shepard even better.

Posted May 21, 2008
I moved to the Shepard Neighborhood several years ago and am so happy with the experience and education my daughters and son have had at Shepard. There is such school spirit and a sense of community with a very high level of parent involvement that pleases my wife and I very much. There is a much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere while maintaining high standards there I find than Mill Creek Elementary where we transferred from which I felt was overly competitive and a little less friendly.

Posted July 09, 2007
Shepard was a wonderful learning environment for my children. Each had excellent teachers and great opportunities for personal growth and leadership-choir, Student Senate, and voluntary community service activities from grades 2-5. The teachers held high expectations for the students and helped them achieve success in a caring, nurturing environment. Manners and virtues were fostered by the teachers as well. The children learned by example. Shepards choir is continually growing. The end of year fine arts performance is always a highlight for parents, students, and staff. While parent involvement has decreased over the years, there are still parents that make the time to be involved in various ways. Shepard was a tremendous experience for my children and we will miss it as our final child heads into middle school.

Posted February 14, 2007
I have 4 children who attend shepard and i do not know who the parent is that suggested shepard is 0 in safety because they are definitely mistaken. Safety is definitely a priority. I am appalled that someone would say that because i know. I work there! we have cameras, we have two radios during arrival/departure times, we do not bus children in. We live in a large rural community and we have a wonderful mix of ethnic backgrounds. We have an awesome pta and awesome teachers. Yes, we do have so many parent volunteers that the workroom can be standing room only. It's wonderful to have community/parent involvement. Yes, the map test is horrific thanks to no child left behind. But the map is in every mo public school and can not be avoided. Out of our 19 elementary schools, shepard is one of the best.

Posted January 05, 2007
I love Shepard. I notice how courteous the children are, they hold doors open for you and say 'Please, thank you, and excuse me.' I have never had any problems, and the teachers are great!

Posted December 11, 2005
Shepard is a wonderful school. They encourage parent envolvement and patriotism. We moved out of the school district and still kept our two daughters attending Shepard. The teachers challenge the students in all ways but also give rewarding praise. It is great to be a Shepard Stallion!

Shepard Blvd. Elementary School 3

Posted July 09, 2005
The teachers and staff are the strength of the school. The biggest negative has been over-emphasis on standardized testing and test results that have interfered with the climate of learning. Curiousity, special interests, and intellectual enrichment are being sacrificed in order to achieve intellectual conformity to the standards of the scorers of the MAP test. The discipline program -- with its green lines in the hallways and such also emphasizes a kind of uniformity and adherence to rules for rules sake that diminishes the spirit of the school. Parent involvement is so high that volunteers trip over each other trying to find something meaningful to do, and many of the activities have become characterized by competitive parenting, with hundreds of dollars being spent for decorations for half hour parties and book fairs looking like they were put together by professional event planners.

Shepard Blvd. Elementary School
2616 Shepard Blvd, Columbia, MO  65201
Last modified Shepard Blvd. Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.