Posted June 09, 2014
My children have been attending this school for three years. Having experience teaching in east coast and west coast schools, I believe Mill Creek ranks among the best. We have been fortunate to have been in average sized classes with outstanding teachers. My children are excelling beyond the curriculum and being challenged with new material. I have nothing but good things to say about Mill Creek. I must admit that I do not expect the teachers to be the only ones teaching my children and realize my responsibility to make the time to expand on what they are already learning at school.

Mill Creek Elementary School 2

Posted May 03, 2014
And I strongly disagree with looking into private schools in town, the only one worth looking into at all is Columbia Independent School. Curriculum at others is pathetic and they only have a good reputations because the students that go there have highly involved parents (which research has proven increases student achievement) and they can cherry pick which students they want in their school. CIS or public school are the ONLY way to go in Columbia!

Mill Creek Elementary School 2

Posted March 26, 2014
Columbia is very proud of their school district, but it has serious problems with drugs, a poor graduation rate, and kids with entitlement issues. There have been rumors that new teacher hires are selected from the "middle of the pack," as these teachers are thankful to have jobs and will not "rock the boat." My wife and I have had 5 children attend Fairview, Mill Creek, Paxton Keely, Smithton, Gentry, Jeff Jr., Oakland, West Jr, Rockbridge and Hickman. They all suck. My youngest daughter attended Mill Creek K-2, beginning in 2009. Her kindergarten teacher was nice, but with 25 students, she had little time for anything but herding. By first grade my daughter started falling behind and by 2nd grade was tested at a 68% reading level. Thankfully, we moved to another state and were shocked when her reading score jumped 20 points! She is now an honor student and loves school (whereas she never wanted to go to Mill Creek even though she had many Mill Creek friends from our Thornbrook neighborhood). My advice is to consider the several private schools that have recently opened and stay away from CPS.

Mill Creek Elementary School 3

Posted July 08, 2013
This school has a lot to offer but there are some things to consider. Parent involvement is high, for a large school they do a great job of building a sense of community, there are a variety of extra activities and events for students and families to enjoy together, there are some wonderfully caring teachers. What you need to know, though, is that classes are large, there are many bright and gifted children in the school but instruction is often below their ability level and the academically advanced students are not challenged, several friends with children there note that there is little science instruction (especially hands on learning). We did have a bad experience with one kindergarten teacher in particular but had a good experience with another. Overall, wishing there were more individualized instruction at the level of the children.

Mill Creek Elementary School 3

Posted October 23, 2009
We moved to Columbia in April 09. My daughter finished K and began 1st grade at Mill Creek. She was very unhappy there. She is academically advanced and well behaved, and in a class of 25 students or more and 1 teacher, she was getting little to no attention. She was not challenged. She multiplies and reads 3 grade levels ahead but was stuck doing simple addition with pictures and reading beginning reader books. She dreaded school each day. She was bored and begged to change to a school 'where they will teach me something I don't know yet.' She is now in a private school and thriving. This is widely believed to be the best elem. school in town, but for us it was simply average.

Mill Creek Elementary School 0

Posted August 23, 2008
We have two children at Mill Creek and love it. Parents are very active and teachers make learning fun for the students. Administrators are caring. We spent two years looking at all public and private options in Columbia and chose Mill Creek. We don't regret it.

Mill Creek Elementary School 1

Posted June 13, 2008

Posted April 12, 2008

Posted June 11, 2004
since my daughters tranfer to this school she has done outstanding and it is a great district and a great place for my daughters continuing education

Posted April 02, 2004
Mill Creek Elementary an outstanding school in an outstanding public school district. The combination of a well rounded education and an detailed individual approach is exemplary.

Mill Creek Elementary School
2200 Nifong Blvd, Columbia, MO  65203
Last modified Mill Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mill Creek Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top