Posted June 20, 2014
I am super-excited that my daughter no longer has to attend Combs anymore. It was a nightmare. She cried every morning not wanting to go. She had five different teachers this year. It was awful. She never had any homework. She never brought home any graded papers or progress reports. I never received a report card on the last day of school. I don't know what they're doing over there but it doesn't seem like much of anything. Good luck if your child attends that awful school.

Posted June 19, 2014
Combs Elementary. My son had an IEP and we were only assisted from his teacher. The counselor was great at first but then slowly backed off and offered no support. I was left to figure out a lot of things by myself with no help. Staff was inconsistent and the principal changed three times in one school year.

Posted November 02, 2013
My child has also transferred to this school and we have livees in misery ever since The teachers speak to the down to the children in a VERY negative ways. My child has NEVER experienced working on IPADS and no problem ever gets solved when brought up. We must be talking about two different Combs Schools. The teachers call the students dumb and tells them they will end up in jail. THIS IS NOT A GREAT SCHOOL!

Combs Elementary School 5

Posted November 01, 2013
My child transferred from private school to Combs and it's been wonderful. I feel like she is getting a private school education. Teachers know their craft and she will be prepared for this competitive world. She is working on computers, doing research on IPads, going on awesome field trips . This is exactly what she needs!

Posted April 11, 2013
Combs Elementary recently decided to divide its 5th and 6th grades into single-gender classes: boys and girls are in separate classes now. The principal did this without parental input or consent. Research has proven this is not the best way for children to receive a well-rounded education. My kids' previous elementary school tried this single-gender class idea for 2 years, then dropped it; students AND parents universally disliked it and student scores and overall learning went down. I'm extremely disappointed in Combs' 5th gr teachers, they are rude, impatient and model immature behavior that would get a student suspended.

Combs Elementary School 5

Posted September 07, 2011
Combs has been an awesome experience for my child. We love accelerated reading. My son always has a book now. It's like a private school but a public school if that makes sense. My oldest child attended Combs and when she went to middle, she was over prepared. Middle School was reading books she had read in 6th grade, even the math was a review for her. Good job to Combs teachers and principal. It takes the whole village parents, students and teachers.

Combs Elementary School 4

Posted August 03, 2011
My child was in 2nd grade & had extremely supportive teachers. I regularly emailed teachers they responded. I attended most school events and dropped in occasionally & never witnessed teachers being rude. I did find that the Science was weak but the Reading, Writing and Math were up to par . A cafeteria worker yelled at my child and the situation was handled and we didn't have any other problems. It's not a daycare if that's what you are seeking. With regard to the principal, she was thoughtful, knowledgeable and easy to reach for questions. The MAP test is a focus of all Missouri Schools, if she wasn't I think these parents would complain no matter what. No system is perfect not even West County (BTW: West County MAP Scores are decreasing). The other factor I liked about this school is that the Principal has successfully written and been awarded grants for supplies for her school and she established a partnership with the St. Louis Science Center, the Botanical Gardens and St. Louis Zoo. I wouldn't base my decision on comments posted by upset parents (typically the ones that leave reviews). Contact the school yourself and make your own informed decision.

Posted March 21, 2011
This school in my opinion is the worst by far. I have 2 children who attend there one of which has a few problems where extra help is needed. My child was quickly labeled by the staff and then the phone call and letters start pouring in. Your child needs this or that. His learning disability is very mild and a little actual care and effort would go a long way. My childs teacher even went as far as saying he is now at the age where he can no longer be helped and its just a matter of waiting it out till he can leave/drop out!! Are you serious?? What happened to the type of teachers I had growing up? Who actually loved their jobs and put everything into helping each student. Not to mention the discipline, you get changes in your color is your pencil needs to be sharpened, if they don't mark the lunch counter, to me that is just absurd! We cannot wait to get out of this district and be in a district where the teachers aren't there just to collect an unearned paycheck!

Posted February 28, 2011
We started Combs in January, 2009, and we were very impressed with the school academically. Shortly into the Fall of 2009, we got a better look at the teachers. Most of the one's we dealt with were rude and disrespectful to the kids. Listening to the teachers and lunch help literally scream at the kids during lunch was very disurbing. How could any student respect anyone that treated them like that. The math teacher would claim to teach, but apparently not well enough for the kids to understand. This year 2010-11 is even worse. I totally agree with the other parents in regards to MAP testing. That is all the principal seems to care about. My child's writing skills are horrible, and her grammar skills are just as bad. The principal is distant and unfriendly and sometimes not truthful. I, too, regret ever sending my child to Combs.

Posted May 07, 2010
I agree, we pulled our child out last year and with extensive tutoring she is just now getting back at level.They do not teach cursive, even though they say they will. They just move kids along, don't teach grammar and the discipline isn't effective. I would not recommend this school. Pay the money and move to West County, best investment we ever made.

Combs Elementary School
300 St Jean Dr, Florissant, MO  63031
Last modified Combs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Combs Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top