Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Nope, nope and nope. The school has a massive bullying problem there for the 2016-2017 school year. I've tried to get answers from the principal of the school, however those answers go unanswered to the day. Along with the school counselor. And they don't report bullying incidents to the parents either. As a parent, I found out from my child about numerous incidents and I had to make direct contact with the school and the counselor and principals answer about not getting some sort of notice about bullying incident is in their exact words I'll quote. "because they felt it wasn't that important to address" Wake up every bullying incident is worth addressing.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The leadership system fell apart when the two former principals left. Dr. Warner and Melanie Davidson. Under their direction, everyone teachers directors worked as a team. Under Mr. Dix there has been no leadership. Certain enrichment programs have dissolved.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Prior to the 2016-17 school year Coldwater was a great place for character and respect. As for the current school year there are a lot of bullying issues that have gone unanswered and unattended to parents, such as myself. The blame goes towards the principal, he acknowledges those problems that are going on. However hasn't communicated with parents such as myself. Lets many situations go unattended without parents having knowledge of it as well. In addition he really doesn't have many solutions to solving the bullying problems as Coldwater.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers do a great job at Coldwater. They care about the education of each of their students.

If I had to grade on past experience and the past two principals I would give this a great rating. Teachers as well, however based on the year of 2017 of school has gone downhill in a big way. Not on the teachers part, but on the part of their new principal Mr. Luke Dix. The teachers are great educators stuck with a principal who doesn't know how to communicate with the community about the problems of what are going on in the school this year. He's not a great communicator with parents and a lot of the parents concerns, complaints go unresolved and unaddressed. Sorry, but my rating reflects that in a big way. Unacceptable.

We like the individual care that teachers and administrators show our children. My children love to participate in Friday morning run club.

My daughter loved going to school. We moved from out of state and this was her first and only year at this school. She truly enjoyed school. Her teacher Mrs. Fischer was absolutely the BEST teacher I have ever experienced. My daughter had homework everyday except Friday and holidays. Although there were monthly assignments for her to work on. There weren't too many fundraisers. Maybe 1 every month or two. Overall we both enjoyed the school.

*After having my children here for four years, I've changed my mind (my rating is so low to balance out my previous rating of four). Since my first child started here the school has gone down in quality. Many of the good teachers have retired, and the principal has changed too. My last child had the same kindergarten teacher as my first, and even she's not the same as far as teaching goes. Safety is good, but they don't seem to care as much as they once did. There's increasingly more tolerance for bad behavior (even by the teachers) which is shifting the once very friendly environment to average at best. One thing I really don't understand is their method of gauging behavior. My son gets on green (good) everyday, yet when I got his report card he had a lot of "U"s for his behavior in his main class. So either he isn't actually terrible, or his teacher isn't taking the time to discuss with us what needs to be worked on. Either way it makes absolutely no sense. What irritates me most of all is that my children have less, and less homework. One has none at all, EVER. I don't know if it's because a lot of the newer teachers are young, but this staff no longer meets our needs.

They care about my child's education and they communicate with me about all that goes on there. They make me feel comfortable to discuss anything that has to do with my child.

We have always been impressed with the amount of communication between the teachers,staff ,students & parents. Students are acknowledged in groups as well as individuals with the primary goal is to encourage as well as enable them to succeed in all their endeavors

Last modified Cold Water Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.