Northwest Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 814 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 28, 2013

There are lots of fights, very rude students and lots of drugs use amongst the students. I personally do NOT like this school at all.

Posted May 19, 2011

I was a student at Hazelwood NWMS. I went there 6-7 grade and sadly had to move. I was devistated.! But parents and students im letting you know this...NWMS is one of the BEST schools for your kids to go to. The teachers are fair, they teach you things you will need to know and best yet we always get the BEST field trips ever.! Not alotta drama and if so the adults in the schol always seem to get it under control. To be honest i wish i still went there. Thats how AWESOME it was. -Kyrsten Ryner

Posted September 14, 2009

i go to this school its great.the last school i went to was very heart breaking to me it just me sad to see all those kids getting bullied.at northwest middle the teachers in sixth grade pay attention to us. they try to help us.if i was you i would let my child go to this school because from over the years this school has change.its a wonderful safe envoiroment for me.i think it will be for you and your child.thank you

Posted July 31, 2009

I am currently a seventh-grader at NWMS, and I like the school, except for that the gymnasium, which the Drama Club often needs, is more often than not taken over by the sports clubs. I object to this very strongly.

Posted November 7, 2008

I am currently a seventh grader at this school, and I am not very happy with this environment. Although I have made many nice friends here and enjoy attending classes and getting my education, I never feel truly safe in this environment. I am constantly bullied and/or tortured. Student discipline is horrible. The teachers are very nice and deserve more respect than this. I can not go a day without at least 5 interruptions in class. Most of my fellow students are uncaring, disruptive, rude, cheating liars. Bullying is a big issue in this school, and it is rarely taken care of properly. Yes, we are told to tell an adult. And when we do, it isn't taken care of very convincing. These rude students could care less about their detentions and suspensions. Every day, I am bullied every day in some way, and I truly don't like this school.

Posted August 21, 2007

I went to Hazelwood middle for a year and started a week late. I was dissapointed with that school and fortunately won't be attending ever again. instead I am going to a private school in the fall. the school was too overcrowded .the work there was so easy a second or third grader could complete it. there were many fights.Race was an issue too. to any parent who's reading this my advice to you is to not place your child in this environment. it's not a good place if you want your child to succeed. P.S I did make some friends
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 26, 2007

Hazelwood middle school has its problem, but its a ok school and yes the school is overcrowd with a number of 1400 student in a 900 meant to be school but I went there just this past school year and if your child pay attenuation he/she will be fine.I know for a fact that this a fine school and pretty soon it will be better. the new middle school open up so it will be fine.

Posted October 15, 2006

I have 2 kids, who attended here between 2000 and 2004. I have never seen such a lack of discipline or lack of learning. There was a lot of bullying going on and absolutely nothing being done about it, despite numerous visits to the principal and the assistant principal. If it were not for the SAIL (gifted) porgram, my son would have been totally miserable. My kids could hardly wait to get out of this school. I was very disappointed, because their elementary school experience had been mostly positive.

Posted May 27, 2006

This is my child's first year at the middle school and if I had to do it over again I would not send a child to that school. For starter's the school is overcrowded. The students are disrespectful and disruptive. The kids that want to learn are completely ignored and overshadowed by the disruptive students.

Posted May 24, 2006

Although this school has an excellent principal and some very competent, knowledgeable, caring teachers, the school is way over crowded with 1400 students! I feel that my child does not get a good education because of the 30-plus students in each classroom and the constant disruptions by children who do not exhibit any home training. The school district has addressed the overcrowded conditions by planning to build new middle schools. However, it will be too late for my child, since the problem will not be alleviated until Fall of 2007.I will not send my child another year. We will move out of the district, or she will attend a private school. There are a lot of racial issues as well. PTA membership is entirely too low for a school with 1400 students. Many parents use the school as a babysitting service instead of a school.

Posted March 29, 2006

I am very disappointed in HMS. I attended there, my oldest attendend there 6 years ago with no problems. Now the youngest is there and it has changed dramtically. Overcrowded, lack of respect by student, fighting. The child who was an honor roll student in grade school now has a 1. something GPA. This is related to the lack of control in the classroom which inhibits learning. We are moving out of this schoold district at the end of the year. Our grade school was terrific which is why I was so surprized at the middle school. Teachers have been good about communicating through email.

Posted February 21, 2005

The school is overcrowded. Discipline might be a concern. My greatest concern is the lack of respect shown to parents by the teaching staff. I have contacted one of my son's teachers, three times. She has yet to return my call or respond to me in anyway. Ethnicity is an issue. The black students are outnumbered. I believe that respect and discipline begin in the home, but I know that students will sometimes follow the lead of their classmates. Parents should be kept informed before an incident turns into a situation.

Posted October 11, 2004

This school is over-crowded and does lack quite alot of disapline but for me this school has been fine. My two daughters attended this school about 3 years ago and they got through it fine, they learned what they needed to learn and got it over and done with. I know that there was quite a few fights when my daughters attended, one being with one of my daughters, but it was taken care of straight away and sorted out.I have a son and daughter who will be attending this school in a few years and I dont feel I have anything to worry about! Two of my kids got through it fine and I dont see why my other 2 kids wont. I think this school is fine!

Posted September 16, 2004

My daughter attends this school and I have to say that the Principle does handle any issue in a timely fashion, if brought to his attention. Nothing can be done if they are unaware of the problem. There aren't enough books for all students, but the teachers will work with them if they need a book to study or for assignments, but it's the responsibility of the student to return the books. My daughter brings home homework everynight, but not for every class. Discipline and Respect start at home and from what I have seen the teachers try their best to teach this also. The school is definitely overcrowded and I believe the boundaries shouldn't have been changed since they continue to build more and more homes in the area. Color has nothing to do with discipline, it's up to the parents to teach their own children and society is what it is.

Posted August 2, 2004

This school is in a dissaray. There is no disapline. The students are extremly disrespectful to adults and students. My child is in fear of fights that happen often in classes and in the halls. Color has a lot to do with disapline. I thought this was a zero tolerace school. I had witnessed a fight and the student was talked to and sent to class. Respect should be a class that every student should be required to take. More books should be avaliable for students, they have a P A system thats new, why not books so homework can be given out. Homework was sent home on very rare occasions. This school needs a strong and fearful leader for the students to succeed in their future. Disapline, disapline is what this school needs.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 52% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 55% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

All Students42%

White51%
Free or reduced-price lunch35%
Students with disabilities14%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students44%

Black25%
White49%
Free or reduced-price lunch31%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

n/a

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A44%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1605 Shackelford Rd