Bad
Good

Posted December 29, 2014
My daughter went to Thayer for 4th and 5th grade and had Mrs. Maurer and Ms.Desousza/Kimball. They all are extraordinary teachers and helped my daughter when she was struggling in Math. Mr. Kimball knows his stuff, when it comes to science and math and helped my daughter understand both subjects in many ways. To give more information on the school, both grades didn't seem to get much homework at all, and few papers were sent home. The grading system changed too, which we thought was odd. Rather than A,B, C, D , F, it changed to more of a meet/does not meet system. My daughter misses this school. I highly recommend sending your children to this school.

Posted February 18, 2014
Thayer is an amazing school. The teachers and support staff really care about the children in there school. Small class sizes and excellent teacher/parent communication. Lots of extra curricular clubs and activities. Tutoring for those who need help. Both of my sons are enjoying school because there really is a sense of community and caring in this school.

Thayer Elementary School 4

Posted December 29, 2013
My daughter has attended Thayer for 2 years now (2nd&3rd). I have been very pleased with the faculty and staff. The principal is very easy to talk to and truly cares about the kids. Both Mrs. Decker and Mrs. McQueen are very approachable, respond to emails quickly, and even share their phone number with you. I wish we were staying here.

Posted August 19, 2013
Great school, great principal and staff. My child loves going to school here and I never have problems with communication. I love the weekly grades being emailed so you know how your child is doing at all times.

Thayer Elementary School 3

Posted January 13, 2013
It is now a K - 5 school. It isn't the best I have seen. But it isn't the worst either. I have one child attending. Everything they do from needing supplies to putting on an event just seems really hush hush. Very hard to find out expectations of events and what is going on in classroom. The reports of progress (if any)are so vague and very standard. The year almost over and they have yet to have a parent/teacher conferences like in past at other schools we have attended. We don't get much homework and few papers are returned. I suppose if there was a gap or if she needs extra help they would tell me right? We are not from here and haven't lived here in the past. I have never before felt like an outsider on a military installation like here.

Posted July 12, 2012
My children attend Thayer and are receiving a great education. I could not be happier. They will work with you no matter the situation to help your child succeed. I highly recommend this school to everyone.

Thayer Elementary School 3

Posted September 09, 2010
This school seems to have difficulty in many area's. I agree that the principal and leadership are VERY weak. I also agree that if you have struggling students, you should look elsewhere. I also agree that if you have accellerated students, they will be bored to death. They also have several MEAN teachers that you should hope and pray your child does not get. These teachers are rude, mean and sarcastic to students. The lunch lady is terrible. Awfully mean/rude/sarcastic to students. There are a few great teachers, I might add. But the great teachers are overshadowed by the bad ones, and their bad attitudes towards the kids. It's a shame our children are spoken to so poorly. Librarian is great. Nurse is great. Not sure I would rec this school to anyone, though.

Thayer Elementary School

Posted April 10, 2010
My son has been at Thayer for the past 8 months and has had a wonderful experience there. I have never had a problem with his teacher, the pricipal, or office staff. He is learning wonderfully and my only wish is that we weren't moving in June so that he could go to Thayer again next year!

Thayer Elementary School 1

Posted January 28, 2009
I agree that the principal is very, very weak. He seems more interested in how he appears to school district officials than holding teachers and students to high academic standards. His only priority: Teach the MAP Test! Does he know what good schools do???

Posted December 27, 2008
My son Loved this school. I have a couple of problems but they were quickly taken care of.. My son went to Kinder, First and some or second grade here.. Mrs, Gann is the best teacher at this school.. and Angel(the office secretary is awesome!!. Also the school nurse is great as well. I wish I could have taken this school with us when we moved

Thayer Elementary School
4273 Thayer St, Ft Leonard Wood, MO  65473
Last modified Thayer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.