Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 29, 2015
I want to say thanks to all of the teachers who understand what being a teacher is all about! Please keep it up! We need you.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 29, 2015
My 4th grader gets a packet of maybe 5 pages? But the children have the entire week to complete it- due every Monday. Of course, the amount of homework given, depends on the grade.

Linden West Elementary School 4

Posted September 29, 2015
My oldest son is now in 4th and has been here since Kindergarten, and I now have a new Kindergartner here. I have always felt that my son's teachers have been great. My youngest had a lot of emotional anxiety starting school and his teacher was so great! She understood him, we communicated via email, and notes often. She always let me know how he was doing, and I was also sure to ask him questions after school, and I was sure to keep encouraging him. He now loves it! As a parent, we MUST understand the importance of communication. If I have questions on my son's homework, or a reminder, or even if my child has a problem with another student, I can go to the teacher first, and see if we can get it handled together. Building that relationship with their teachers is so very important. It allows me to feel comfortable coming to them at any time. And trust me, they want that! I feel confident that the staff are doing a great job at promoting safety and respect among students. I love that they do the "star cards" where they get rewarded for all types of good behavior. This is something we have even started at home, because it works so well. They have also started a "Class Dojo" reward system type thing, so parents can see in real time, how their children are doing. I appreciate that. I also feel that the teachers I know, really care about their students. That's very necessary! As long as we, parents, make the EFFORT to be involved, our children will exceed our expectations!! The biggest problem is when we, (parents) just let our children do school all by themselves. They NEED us!! Staff can only do so much reinforcing. Our children's lives are in OUR hands! Talk to them, check their homework, read with them, teach them to treat others with respect and love!!! Love, reinforce, love. With our involvement, they will automatically see how important they are to us, and build such confidence in themselves that will help them be the greatest they can be! This is our future! They are so worth our time...

Linden West Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2015
First off both this site and the reviews are extremely out of date. Carla Forbes is not the Principal and hasn't been for 4 years now. Dr. Danelle Marsden is the Principal and under her guidance the school has made great strides, in fact she was honored by NKCSD in the summer of 2015 for her results in improving overall behavior of the student body. The test scores are also misleading, no note is made of the state wide shift from a math emphasized curriculum to an ELA based one the test scores dropped, since the shift scores has consistently risen. No the school isn't perfect, but most problems stem from No Child Left Behind and the national policy of advancing children regardless of ability. The school has instituted an anti-bullying policy that has done wonders to curb problems. Any and all children are actively encouraged to turn to peers and staff anytime they see bullying taking place. Lack of parent involvement is the biggest problem at the school, and the PTA is struggling to reach out and convince families that their participation makes all the difference in children's education. You could do far worse than enroll your children here, the staff is doing their best to make Linden West one of the best schools in the district.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 19, 2015
Linda Brier, she is the glue that holds the school together. She goes above and beyond every day to keep everything as smooth as possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted September 19, 2015
There has been high turnover lately between first time moms not returning to teaching and older teachers retiring. But it's an unfortunate cycle with older teachers being replaced by teachers that are in their first 5 years of teaching.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted September 19, 2015
While the 20 minutes of reading every night is good I don't think enough attention is given to reinforce the day's lessons with home review.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 19, 2015
Dr. Marsden has come up with wonderful positive behavior reinforcement programs. Children earn Cougar cards which get turned in for rewards such as a special lunch, or bring a stuffed animal to school.

Linden West Elementary School 1

Posted November 18, 2014
Both of my kids attend this school.since the beginning of the year both of my kids have been bullied on several occasions. More on my oldest than my youngest. I have taken steps to talking with principle along with other staff at the school about these problems trying to get plans in place where my kids feel safe. My kids are at the point with everything going on from teachers not communicating, harassment, lying and bullying that they don't want to go to school. I feel bad every day that I have to send them knowing what they are going through. I'm working on trying to figure out a better situation for them so they will feel safe and I know what is going on with them and where there is better communication in place as to what is going on with my kids. I also feel like there are way to many students per a teacher in each classroom.

Linden West Elementary School 5

Posted July 25, 2014
My school has wonderful staff and activities. My son has been very lucky with his teachers so far at Linden West and they are always so caring and involved with his learning. I am very pleased with this school!

7333 North Wyandotte St, Gladstone, MO  64118
Last modified Linden West Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.