Gladstone, MO

Linden West Elementary School 1

Posted November 18, 2014
Both of my kids attend this school.since the beginning of the year both of my kids have been bullied on several occasions. More on my oldest than my youngest. I have taken steps to talking with principle along with other staff at the school about these problems trying to get plans in place where my kids feel safe. My kids are at the point with everything going on from teachers not communicating, harassment, lying and bullying that they don't want to go to school. I feel bad every day that I have to send them knowing what they are going through. I'm working on trying to figure out a better situation for them so they will feel safe and I know what is going on with them and where there is better communication in place as to what is going on with my kids. I also feel like there are way to many students per a teacher in each classroom.

Posted July 25, 2014
My school has wonderful staff and activities. My son has been very lucky with his teachers so far at Linden West and they are always so caring and involved with his learning. I am very pleased with this school!

Posted April 23, 2012
Love Linden West! My Son is a 5th grader and my daughter is in 3rd. Both my children have attended Linden West since Kindergarten. They both LOVE and are PROUD of their school. Principal Carla Forbes is remarkable. Each teacher my children have had showed real concern and caring. The PTA is very active and is always looking for more input. I can't say enough good things about my family's experience with Linden West

Posted December 09, 2011
My children have attended this school for over 6 years & It has been an up & down hill experience & the main reason we chose to move to a better school. My eldest entered as a Kindergartner reading at 2nd grade level and was held back for "maturity" issues. The second teacher said he was bored stiff & did everything she could to challenge him in his second year in K. She also told us that she would not have made that decision. It was a blow to his self esteem & we still battle with it today as his is teased constantly at school for being a year older than everyone else. My second child took was entering Kindergarten & I had him evaluated & knowing he had some issues. The school said he tested very low & we would need to get him diagnosed so they could place him. No matter how wonderful my health insurance was it took more than 8 Dr.s before the last one said the school MUST place him & help him without a diagnosis. It took a year but he finally entered. He is receiving help & his counselors are doing a magnificent job. He has grown in leaps & bounds but the initial experience of getting him help left a bad taste in our mouths losing the accreditation was the last straw...

Linden West Elementary School 1

Posted August 17, 2011
I have 3 children that have attended Linden West, I have had some issues with each, my daughter was advanced and the school did nothing to challenge her, my son needed special help and received a little but ended up getting lost in the crowd my youngest daughter was just pushed through and didn't get any individual attention from most teachers there. Out of my 9 years total of experience with Linden West I can only find minimal things good about them. We had one TERRIFIC teacher who really made my youngest feel good and excell but the other teachers are just like the rest of the school, adequate and barely meeting standards. I have moved my children from this school and their new school is so far advanced in ciriculum compared to Linden West that my children are extremely behind and are in after school tutoring to get them up to the minimum level there.

Linden West Elementary School 3

Posted July 28, 2011
My son attended Linden West from Kindergarten to the end of 4th grade and in his last year there was a LOT of talk about some kids that were fighting a bullying children. Facebook post of children comparing themselves to each other in a fight. My son told me that there is very few teachers on the play ground and the teachers that are watching are visiting with each other which left opportunities for these children to fight and bully without being "SEEN". When reports of fighting or bullying has occurred the child has been allowed to still attend school because he wasn't "SEEN" even if children witnessed the occurrence. Luckily my son was never a victim of this bulling but it is still a shame. NO TOLERANCE POLICY should be FULLY enforced to the highest level. Otherwise you give the bully the impression that they can do what they are doing as long was no one is watching plus you can't just have a parent teacher conference meeting and believe that things are going to change. Some parents simply aren't going do anything to correct their child's behavior until it becomes their problem. Suspend them, then it will be. Parents should be able to send their children to school w/out fear.

Posted July 21, 2011
And the poster below is not telling you the truth completely either. As I do not believe the school has boring curriculum at all, I do know that there is VERY VERY poor communication between the teachers and parents. Linden West DOES HAVE a music program and even introduces instruments as well. It is very diverse and has the whole world experience for sure. Linden Wests principal is very busy and does not have a lot of time to divide and although there is a diverse school there is SO MUCH BULLYING that goes on in this school. I personally KNOW families from this school who are considering taking their children OUT of this school based on the the fact they don't treat Bullying very seriously or as seriously as they should. Also there program for Disabled children is WAY UNDER PAR and in desperate NEED of a special needs team that has more experience in teaching children with handicap. It is a normal school in the NORTH KANSAS CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT. Good and Bad and unfortunately not much is done to PROTECT children from other children.

Linden West Elementary School 4

Posted May 13, 2011
The reviewer below is simply not relaying the truth. I was employed with Linden West during and we always had music and art. Ms. Forbes is an outstanding principal, one of the best I've worked with in numerous states and districts. The staff is dedicated, the parents groups are supportive. It is a small elementary that teaches district approved curriculum that is standards based and approved from the Missouri Department of Education. It recently was eligible to receive Title 1 funds and is a beautifully diverse school with different ethnicities and languages. It's obvious this person wasn't happy with the school for some reason which is unfortunate.

Posted April 16, 2010

Posted September 08, 2008
I'm truly surprised for the high reviews for Linden West Elementary School. Maybe my wife and I expect too much having come from another district. There's nothing to great about this school (maybe a teacher here and there). The school has low expections for their teachers (so their all labeled 'great with no need for improvement', and high student:teacher ratios, poor communication from teachers, boring curriculum, very little outside the box and hands-on learning. The school is small and crowded (government money is going where?) has no art or music classes.

Linden West Elementary School
7333 North Wyandotte St, Gladstone, MO  64118
Last modified Linden West Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Linden West Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top