Truman High School

Public | 9-12 | 1646 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 24, 2013

Worst school ever I go there currently aadministrators are verry rude and blame you for thing sometimes you dont even do once a bad thing happens they hold a gruge forever so overall would not reccomend to anyone

Posted November 5, 2012

I went to a lot of different schools, but this one was the best one I ever went to. The teachers were always helpful, the students were usually nice, and the extra requirements from teachers and principals for the students always made me push myself harder and exceed my own expectations. The counselors helped me through so many hard times. The entire faculty is just so strong at that school. I am so proud to say that I graduated from Truman High School in 2011.

Posted February 7, 2012

i was a student at this school and personally it was one of the best schools that i ever went to!!! I love the studenst, teachers, and staff. everyone is nice and as long as you stay out of it you dont have drama personaly i had barrly any drama. yes, there is inappopriate language but every highschool will have it no crimes!

Posted September 8, 2010

Every teacher I've come into contact with is dedicated and hard-working. Each of them puts effort forth and dedicates much of their own free time toward helping the students of our community.

Posted September 18, 2009

Truman has a great group of students and faculty...respectful and hard working. There is a strong parental presence at the various school events.

Posted September 2, 2009

I think truman is great, and against what other people say, truman is a fantastic school. i am currently a sophomore and love truman. we are among the 20 best high schools in the nation, and as a debate student i can say we are in the top 30 of debate schools, as well as having great teachers. We may not have the best sports but is that really what matters in life.

Posted April 22, 2009

Well we will say that I'm still a student at Truman for the fact of, I have not yet walked with my class but no longer attend school. Truman is a great school because they let me be who I wanted and supported me. I will graduate May 17th this year. But before I can do that I have to complete my tech school in the Air Force. Truman High School gave me the chance to do what I never thought I could do, be somebody. I am now out of BMT and in tech school and doing great I got 100% on my last test. All do to Truman and Independence School District. With the programs and academics they offered me, I am now somebody.

Posted January 26, 2009

I went to this school for all 4 years and was an average student except for the fact that due to an illness I missed a total of 6 months of school overall and no one really noticed except the attendance people, the teachers, are generally caring but unfortunately the only time they paid attention to you was if you were a trouble child or disruptive. I was generally quiet and graduated in 2008 but I doubt any of the teachers remember me just because I didn't disrupt the class I feel that is very sad and unfair.

Posted May 30, 2008

I taught at Truman High School for two years and enjoyed almost every day. Parent support is fair, but improving with the advent of the online grade book. The facilities at the school have seen better days and are insufficient for the number of students, The faculty and staff is made up of good people. The administrative is wonderful, especially the Gamma House principal. The student body is made up of kids from diverse families and diverse societal influences. Unfortunately too many problem children affect the educational process of other students. The current discipline process is generally ineffective in minimizing the effect of the problem children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2008

Truman is an average urban high school with some really great teachers. Not 100% of the teachers, but most of them really care about their students' progress and try to help in any way they can. I have a daughter in the 9th grade and the teachers have bent over backwards to help her any way they can. The sports aren't the best, but they have improved greatly in the last few years. The academics, while they could use improvement in gifted education, are well above acceptable.

Posted October 4, 2007

Truman, truman, truman, I think it's a great school. Many teachers really care about you and your progress, as well as making the school day fun and helps students with a easier understanding. The student body, well its a mixed group, from the jocks to the preps to band kids, to the rockers, they all are so very different but when it all boils down we all get along and even though we are different, I have made so many friends that are very unique. all in all Truman high school is a wonderful place to be each and everyday for me. !

Posted September 21, 2007

My son's teachers are great quality individuals!! I was so impressed when I met them at open house. They were all the kinds of teachers that will make a difference and lasting impression in his life

Posted February 25, 2006

Truman is probably your average urban high school with some really great teachers. Not 100% of the teachers, but most of them really care about their students' progress and try to help in any way they can. Example: I was failing 9th grade algebra...the teacher worked really hard with me after school and by the end of the year I had achieved an A+! Also, the English teacher I had that year won an award for his teaching (he really was great). Truman also has a really fantastic library (the thing I miss the most about going there), and the librarians are very helpful. The school has a very large student body, so think twice if your teenager is shy or reserved. If he/she is not involved in sports, drama, etc., he/she will fade into the background.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 17, 2005

Truman is as good a school as can be expected. The sports aren't the best, but they try. The academics, while they could use improvement in gifted education, are acceptable.

Posted April 19, 2005

I think that this school is not very good in anything including sports especially volleyball and track!

Posted April 19, 2005

I belive that this school is not very good in the following areas: there sports academic volleyball and track.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

391 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

392 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

n/a

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

n/a

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

U.S. History

All Studentsn/a
Whiten/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian 2% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A44%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3301 South Noland Rd