Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

William Southern Elementary School 5

Posted May 20, 2016
My child has attended this school so far through K & 1st grade. He has been fortunate enough to have some really great teachers, but he always seems to get the class that the teachers leave (his K teacher finished out the year and moved to another school district), his 1st first grade teacher got married and moved out of state and his 2nd first grade teacher finished out the school year and retired. The before and after teachers are wonderful, both this year and last year. I'm not totally crazy about the principal. I have not had any bad interactions with her, she was pleasant enough, but she had a certain vibe that didn't set well with me. Honestly though I can't say anything negative about her. Regardless if I did, she too is getting married and is moving on so the 2016-2017 school year will have a different principal. I plan to keep my son there unless something changes (me deciding to move to another area of town, etc). He does well there and we both enjoy the students and staff that we have interacted with. Overall, I do believe this is a good school based on my experience.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 20, 2016
Miss Michelle (and all the kids safari staff) has been wonderful. Miss Michelle is always on top of things and she is extremely helpful.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 20, 2016
We have really enjoyed the teachers my child has been placed with as well as the specials teachers (art, music, library, etc).

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 20, 2016
I could use a little less homework (my child received a packet that has about 4-6 pages each week), but we adjusted our evening routine and got it done. Also the before and after school care (kids safari) has some time for homework as well, which helped a lot.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 20, 2016
Most of the students are willing to help one another, be friendly, share and interact well with one another. I'm sure that there are some off days every once in a while with a few students, but none that i have encountered.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted May 20, 2016
I have not had any issues with my son's behavior or with any of his classmates behaviors interacting with him. The classes he has been in, we have had no complaints about fairness, honest, or integrity.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted October 26, 2015
Principal and staff foster an atmosphere of teacher bullying. District protects them rather than corrects. the problem.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 26, 2015
Mrs. Coone was the only teacher deserving of a salary at this school. She tried to challenge my child, and tried to protect her when other staff members took her out of school against my wishes.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted October 26, 2015
Every year the teachers could not challenge my child and keep her interested, even after I asked several times. District in general not effective. Moving soon.

William Southern Elementary School 5

Posted January 28, 2015
My children attended this school before we moved and they had to move schools. They had amazing teachers and staff. We never had a problem with any teachers or staff. The principal is a different story. She only cares about her image and not the children. I had a concern with intruder policies, can't be to safe these days, and I addressed those concerns with her and the teachers. My son's teachers showed me the drills and assured me they would be doing everything to keep my children safe. The principal acted like I was wasting her time and she had better things to do. When I would ask a question she would become defensive, rude and arrogant. One time my children ran into her outside of school and they said HI to her, she looked at them, ignored them and walked away. What kind of principal does that?!!? Overall though the school is a good school and as long as your child gets a good teacher, they will have a good experience at William Southern.

4300 South Phelps Rd, Independence, MO  64055
Last modified William Southern Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.