Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My child has attended this school so far through K & 1st grade. He has been fortunate enough to have some really great teachers, but he always seems to get the class that the teachers leave (his K teacher finished out the year and moved to another school district), his 1st first grade teacher got married and moved out of state and his 2nd first grade teacher finished out the school year and retired. The before and after teachers are wonderful, both this year and last year. I'm not totally crazy about the principal. I have not had any bad interactions with her, she was pleasant enough, but she had a certain vibe that didn't set well with me. Honestly though I can't say anything negative about her. Regardless if I did, she too is getting married and is moving on so the 2016-2017 school year will have a different principal. I plan to keep my son there unless something changes (me deciding to move to another area of town, etc). He does well there and we both enjoy the students and staff that we have interacted with. Overall, I do believe this is a good school based on my experience.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have really enjoyed the teachers my child has been placed with as well as the specials teachers (art, music, library, etc).

Amount of homework: Disagree

I could use a little less homework (my child received a packet that has about 4-6 pages each week), but we adjusted our evening routine and got it done. Also the before and after school care (kids safari) has some time for homework as well, which helped a lot.

Develops character: Agree

I have not had any issues with my son's behavior or with any of his classmates behaviors interacting with him. The classes he has been in, we have had no complaints about fairness, honest, or integrity.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Principal and staff foster an atmosphere of teacher bullying. District protects them rather than corrects. the problem.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Every year the teachers could not challenge my child and keep her interested, even after I asked several times. District in general not effective. Moving soon.

My children attended this school before we moved and they had to move schools. They had amazing teachers and staff. We never had a problem with any teachers or staff. The principal is a different story. She only cares about her image and not the children. I had a concern with intruder policies, can't be to safe these days, and I addressed those concerns with her and the teachers. My son's teachers showed me the drills and assured me they would be doing everything to keep my children safe. The principal acted like I was wasting her time and she had better things to do. When I would ask a question she would become defensive, rude and arrogant. One time my children ran into her outside of school and they said HI to her, she looked at them, ignored them and walked away. What kind of principal does that?!!? Overall though the school is a good school and as long as your child gets a good teacher, they will have a good experience at William Southern.

Awesome school teachers are are wonderful sad that my daughter will be going to middle school next year my kids love this school. I would recomend this school to anyone wanting to get there kids in to a school where the teachers care

I was under the impression at first that it was a good school but as time rolled on they stopped my daughters special services because they felt she was not eligible when I know she is. My daughter has also had run ins with bullys .and comes home tense and very upset. Your child will benefit better if u have a car to take them back and forth at least they don't have to be terrorized by bullies on the bus. Background check takes forever for them to complete so u can attend field trips. I am disappointed with this school.

I absolutely adore this school. I was very hesitant because of some of the reviews and even a few things I've heard from family and friends but I have been more than proved wrong. We are currently having some behavioral issues and trying to work on a solution and every last staff member has been on board with helping. They have been helpful and patient, I couldn't be happier with how they're handling it. I don't feel like the horrible parent, I feel like I have a child that's trying to adjust and a staff that just wants the best for him, even when they have so many other students to work with. They let me, my husband, my father-in-law and my mother-in-law be as involved as we like to and even encourage anyone and everyone to be involved. The new principal seems fantastic to me. From what I've heard, this school has come a long way since she has been here and I'm sure that's no easy task. I have not found one thing I dislike or would change. I feel like they take pride in their school and their students and we're looking forward to another 5 great years with William Southern!

Last modified William Southern Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.