Independence, MO

Posted December 06, 2014
Awesome school teachers are are wonderful sad that my daughter will be going to middle school next year my kids love this school. I would recomend this school to anyone wanting to get there kids in to a school where the teachers care

William Southern Elementary School 2

Posted August 20, 2014
I was under the impression at first that it was a good school but as time rolled on they stopped my daughters special services because they felt she was not eligible when I know she is. My daughter has also had run ins with bullys .and comes home tense and very upset. Your child will benefit better if u have a car to take them back and forth at least they don't have to be terrorized by bullies on the bus. Background check takes forever for them to complete so u can attend field trips. I am disappointed with this school.

Posted October 13, 2013
I absolutely adore this school. I was very hesitant because of some of the reviews and even a few things I've heard from family and friends but I have been more than proved wrong. We are currently having some behavioral issues and trying to work on a solution and every last staff member has been on board with helping. They have been helpful and patient, I couldn't be happier with how they're handling it. I don't feel like the horrible parent, I feel like I have a child that's trying to adjust and a staff that just wants the best for him, even when they have so many other students to work with. They let me, my husband, my father-in-law and my mother-in-law be as involved as we like to and even encourage anyone and everyone to be involved. The new principal seems fantastic to me. From what I've heard, this school has come a long way since she has been here and I'm sure that's no easy task. I have not found one thing I dislike or would change. I feel like they take pride in their school and their students and we're looking forward to another 5 great years with William Southern!

Posted April 22, 2013
I have two children in this school and love it. The staff is wonderful. All the staff is very nice and helpful. I try to be very involved in my childrens school and they let me do that.

Posted April 09, 2012
This school's leadership has no integrity or class. This has to be hands down the worst school in the district. My daughter who has always loved school suddenly started not wanting to go anymore. The reason was because she got a teacher from mars (the teacher makes a lot of mistakes grading papers, gives wrong AR reading scores, transposes numbers, gives wrong information, and the list goes on and on) this year and a new principal who cares more about her image than helping teachers and students be their best. My words of advice is DO NOT buy a home in this community, do not rent, do not even think about putting your intelligent child in such a worthless school. Do what a lot of other parents wish they'd done a lot sooner, one word, RUN!!!! FAST!!!!!!

Posted March 28, 2012
This school has a principal that is very vendictive. She holds grudges against children and their parents if they bring up a concern about a teacher or happening in the school, she goes into complete cover-up mode, she fakes smiles, swings her over processed hair, and all while being dishonest to parents about what is going on in the school with our kids. She has no clue what she is doing, has no people skills, and is in great need of training. This school is a complete joke! I'm so glad I removed my kids.

Posted August 18, 2010
WOW if it wasn't for this school and his teacher my child would not have developed the way he did. Thank you William Southern.

Posted January 12, 2010
My daughter has had some behavioral issues and this school (the principal and ALL the teachers) have been great help. I couldn't have helped my daughter as much as I have without their great help.

Posted December 17, 2009
We have one son who graduated from Wm Southern and two that are through Wm Southern right now and we could not be any happier than we are with how the kids are treated, taught and nurtured. My kids have loved their teachers and their entire schooling experience at Wm. Southern. They are involved in many school activities (Student Council, Sports, Plays, etc).... and they take great pride in their school and enjoy...yes enjoy going to school. That says more to me than the reviews of a few disgruntalled parents.

Posted November 23, 2009
I have several children attending W.S. and find that it is the worst school my kids have attended yet. Recently, bought a house in the district and in my opinion the Kansas City elementary schools are run better than this place. I have looked into private schools and home schooling my children as a better opportunity. Academics are deficient on every level and the student to teacher ratio in most classes is 30 to 1. Generally everyone is friendly but that doesn't make the grade.

William Southern Elementary School
4300 South Phelps Rd, Independence, MO  64055
Last modified William Southern Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
William Southern Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top