Jefferson City, MO
Students enrolled: 1,957

Jefferson City High School 5

Posted April 22, 2014
I don't know what people are thinking--this school is amazing. I am currently at Westminster College, and JCHS did more than just prepare me for college; it gave me a leg up. I am a 2013 graduate. I was in National Honors Society, Key Club, and Hispanic Honor's Society. I graduated with a 3.75, working hard in that school. Now, because of that education, I am in the Honor's Program here, am at sophomore status because of the dual enrollment opportunities that were given to me at JC, and am currently at a 4.00 GPA, because I have been doing exceptionally well. JC gave me the necessary tools in learning, leadership, and excellence to push on. Yes, those who do not try will not get the same experience that I did, but can't that be said for any high school? JC is excellent, and is never given enough credit.

Jefferson City High School 3

Posted October 12, 2013
I graduated from JC 4 years ago and it seems like it hasn't improved much. A lot of these reviews are correct. If you're a normal kid, you'll do really well there. But if you're not, it's going to be tough. And seriously high school is hard enough. Teachers totally gave up on me because I have a different way of learning. I know for a fact that most of my teachers didn't expect me to graduate college. Now I'm in graduate school at one of London's top universities. Money is put in to sports because the coaches are amazing. I am not an athlete but I ran track and had many coaches for teachers and THEY were the ones pushing me to succeed. The administration helped me through my four years there but it seems like the people I had are gone now. There's a difference between teaching kids how it is in the real world and not helping kids to succeed. Being underpaid isn't an excuse. If teachers were in it for the money they would be doctors. I won't be sending my kids to JC when I have them, but if you don't have a choice, don't worry. A lot of great kids come out of JC. The drugs are bad which I attribute to absent parents. But it's inevitable that kids in Jeff City will have a run in.

Posted January 31, 2013
My wife and I have had several (6) (3 girls and 3 boys) kids attend the Jefferson City Public School system. I would highly recommend the elementry schools for their Professionalism and Heart in making sure that our children are well educated. The Jefferson City High School is an entirely different matter. It all starts with lack of strong leadership, ethics and principles (not principals). One of my kids had a rough time with one of the School Administration to the point that he dropped out. He tried several times to go back with little to no evail. I hold the School Leadership partially to blame for allowing my child to drop through the cracks.

Posted December 28, 2007
JCHS Is a very good school in most respects. The teachers are professional and hold students accountable for their work. The school is a slice of reality: there are kids from all walks of life, and that seems to throw some folks -- they want some Ozzie and Harriet world. The kids deal with the size of the school better than many adults. The school offers many advanced placement classes, a great musis and performing arts program, and a wide variety of offerings. OK, it's a school that takes a lot of pride in sports. That also causes issues. Frankly, I think it's a good thing, but I understand those who feel that too much attention is given to sports. I figure if sports keep a kid intereted in the other aspects of school, then fine. I would recommend JCHS to parents moving to this town.

Posted February 08, 2007
I am currently a senior at JCHS. In my four years going to this school, I've only had two teachers(out of many) that I felt didn't really know the subject they were teaching. The school offers plenty challenging classes. School's library is really good. The media center, however, isn't that great. Cafeteria food is okay. The building is, indeed, old. Oh, and they should really start enforcing the dress code.

Jefferson City High School 5

Posted May 14, 2006
I graduated in 2005. JC did an awesome job preparing me for college. The teachers and counselors go way beyond what is expected, and genuinely want students to succeed. There is a great balance at JC - strong academics, great athletics, and many opportunities for leadership. JC students consistently score above the state average in every academic area, and over twice the normal percentage of students receive Bright Flight scholarships. I love JC! 43!

Posted December 26, 2005
I would like to comment that I have had two children in the past 3 years that have graduated from JCHS while another is a sophmore there this year. My two oldest graduated with a total of 43 college credited hours and my sophmore currently has 6 college hours. All three children playes varsity sports and were very involved in school activities. This school has so much to offer. Of course there are drugs in our world today are there drugs in the school? I guess you would have to talk to someone that is around it. Yes, we have a private school that does not have to take the problem children that end up in public schools but what better prepares our children for the real world sheltering them or preparing them for college where they will be around all types of people. I give this school an A! Sandy

Posted July 10, 2005
Contrary to some of the previous reviews, I feel this school is great. There are numerous AP and dual enrollment programs. The grading scale is higher than many of the surrounding schools. On top of that, about 1/3 of the school is in the music program; consisting of Symphonic Band, Band 1 & 2, Top Jazz, Jazz, 3-5 jazz combos, Orchestra, and 2 choir programs. All of which do well in their competitions and heritage festivales. The art program has also had decent success. Yes, it is a school of sports focusing on football, basketball, track, tennis, and golf. Most of the teachers work very well with the students and strive to push them to their best work. I would also say that with the students there is a somewhat diverse setting ranging with all social groups. There are some drug problems and some lesser teachers. Success is defined by the student.

Posted December 31, 2004
Honors English program ridiculous. The school is just too big. Little personal attention is paid to students, and the administration is oblivious toward many problems within the school. Most teachers are great, fantastic library. Has a pretty strict dress code. Several students have transferred out due to a poor job on the part of the school paying attention to their kids' special needs.

Posted November 10, 2004
This school is not really as good as you really think. The teachers are very disrespectful and closed minded. Now if your kid is the same as all the other kids they will have no problem. On the other hand if they aren't the teachers will most likely give them a hard time.This school is a more christian school then a public one. As well as the basic adittude of the school being more about sports they anything else. So aslong as you are an average christian sports playing family this school is great. If you are something else find another school.

Jefferson City High School
609 Union, Jefferson City, MO  65101
Last modified Jefferson City High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson City High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top