Winnetonka High School

Public | 9-12

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted July 18, 2013

Winnetonka is a great school! Lot's of nice people. North Kansas City School District is awesome/

Posted November 13, 2012

I love going to tonka and it's not as bad as people say. By the way it's no zoo. Crime is a part of life and happens at almost every school. I love it here and nobody can change my mind.

Posted February 4, 2012

This school is a complete mess!! My child was assaulted by another student last week and the vice principle yell in my face and refused to help me. I am not sending my child back to this trashy school. I hope that Oak Park or Staley can provide a safer and more professional environment. The students have total control over the teachers. There maybe 3 of 30 children focusing in class. What a waste of my tax dollars. Remove your children from this ZOO if you LOVE them.

Posted September 21, 2010

I graduated from Tonka in '01, back then it didn't have the bad rep it has now. My parents actually relocated so my brother wouldn't have to go there! It used to have 2 extremes - the rich and the poor kids. I always liked the teachers but the in-school student baby nursery did the rep in, especially when other schools starting sending all of the pregnant teens to Tonka. Good idea but didn't quite help the schools rep. This school now really needs a makeover and better athletics!!

Posted November 22, 2009

My two kids graduated in 2204 and 2008, scored in the 30s on the ACT, and were accepted into prestigious colleges. This is a great school that provides lots of opportunities.

Posted August 19, 2008

I'm a senior at Tonka, and I really enjoy going there. There are many different groups and every one is accepted. The teachers care about their students' success and there are multiple opportunities for students to get help from not only their teacher, but from other teachers as well. The activities provided for students are broad and most can find something they enjoy. Plus, the performing arts groups are absolutely great!

Posted August 17, 2008

I hate going to winnetonka high... M first week there i had my purse stolen! the students do not care about learning, and the teachers really dont care... Thew only thing i really like about this school is the food!

Posted November 25, 2007

At Tonka, you get a little bit of everything. Everyone basically gets along, and the school isn't 'ruled' by one group of people. The teachers are fun, and I always learn something new everyday. Our school is the cleanest in the district, also. The only bad thing about Tonka is the bad rep, but it's really not true. I never feel threatened when I go to school, in fact, I look forward to it. Overall it's a great place for learning and making friends.

Posted November 23, 2007

Really a great school. Excellent teachers. Great activities and student involvement.

Posted November 1, 2007

My Daughter is now a sophomore. The teachers, sports programs and arts are great. The football team stinks, but oh well the rest is more important. I am very happy my kid goes to Winnetonka.

Posted July 31, 2007

Great school ...great teachers This school has incredible school spirit.

Posted April 27, 2007

This school is extremely wonderful I love the programs and the progress my child made after switching to tonka.

Posted April 3, 2007

Winnetonka is a great school and I love it there. Trust me, I was at Oak Park for two years and I liked it very much, but when we moved to Winnetonka's bounday, I thought I would hate it. I loved it. The teachers are way better and helpful, and the music programs are awesome. I highly recommend this as a great school.

Posted April 3, 2007

I have two kids at Winnetonka, and let me say its a wonderful school. Don't listen to what anyone else says about it. Yes, there are the troublesome kids there (like every school) but the vast majority are intelligent and very cerative kids. They have an excellent band program and the teachers are quality teachers and very unique, not just the 'read and take notes' type. It's a clean and well kept school and I will remember to make sure my next kid goes there.

Posted January 19, 2005

wonderful community and great teacher student interaction, the theatre program is phenomenal, along with music, not just sports at this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 13, 2004

Excellent school! Everyone is extremely helpful and concerned about the students. Students are very involved in school acitivites ... not just sports, but the fine arts (superb!) as well.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

307 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Black21%
White34%
Free or reduced-price lunch25%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

• Mr. Matt Lindsey
Fax number
  • (816) 413-5505

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5815 NE 48th St