Raytown Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 855 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 24, 2013

New school year, new teachers to get to know, new opportunities to excel. Year 2, both the teachers, staff and my child are on the same page! Communications (although not always for desirable reasons) have been up to par. I give credit to the partnership we have forged to make it happen. Way to go RMS.....it's not perfect, but it's as close to the path of perfection as I thought I could ever get

Posted March 12, 2012

This school is pathetic: No leadership, no parent participation, no teacher participation, no communication. If was able to move I would have long ago,,,,,,,,,what a joke!!

Posted November 14, 2011

This school is one of the most terrible middle schools in Missouri. In previous comments some had mentioned bullying, yes this school does have a lot of bullying. I was a victim of it as well. I told my problem to a teacher and she had told the principal. I sat with him one on one and he said (honest to God here), "The boys who have bullied you say they haven't done anything. Can you just pretend that this never happened?" It is rare (from my experience) to find a teacher at RM who has taught there for more than a year or two.The teachers at this school do not know how control disruptive students in their classes. For punishment they are sent in a timeout corner or are sent to ISS (In school suspension, where students sleep on desks and do their classwork separate from their class.) Another previous comment said, "The school needs to be more Ethnic." Here are the 2010 racial demographics for RM: White: 332, Black: 358, Hispanic: 81, Asian: 10. What Raytown Middle School really needs to do is to stop being lenient towards misbehaving students and start seriously punishing them for their misconduct. Many kids actually end up having 4-5 ISS sessions at school and do not change.

Posted October 10, 2010

I have had many children go through this school. many of them have had special needs and RMS has done an amazing job of getting them to where they needed to be.

Posted July 7, 2010

I had many of the same problems other parents have wrote about. The elementary school my boys attended was GREAT, however, they got to middle school and I don't even know for sure how they are passing. They have F's in 4 or more subjects every year. The powerschool option in my opinion is useless because even if you check it everyday- the teachers don't update it daily. I can't tell if they've turned in their work or not. I get the homework e-mailed to me so that I can make sure my boys are doing their work, however, 1/2 the time it's incorrect, or they've done the work "in class". I don't see how they can be failing when they are doing all their homework and none of the teachers seem concerned. They don't want to be bothered. They are failing my kids in more ways than one!! Jennifer Sawyer

Posted June 21, 2010

RMS. IS THE WORST SCHOOL I HAVE TOO, THE TEACHERS AND PRINCEPAL SHOW FAVORITISM AND YOU GET BLAMED FOR THINGS YOU DIDNT DO. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE EACUSE IT HAS BULLYING AND NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT.!! I WOULD GO FOR A DIFFERENT SCHOOL ON SECOND THOUGHT I WOULDN COME TO RAYTOWN PERIOD.

Posted November 6, 2009

I dislike RMS so much. My son is in 7th grade and in one semester his grades fell hard. Out of 7 classes he got 5 F's. I did not receive not one phone call, nor a letter. My husband & I had to contact the school to find out what was going on. And they pretty much act like my concerns are not worth their time. Also the school is so big, he has already received 2 detentions for tardy s, trying to get from first floor then locker then 3rd floor. Its crazy. Do not get me wrong my son is A LOT to blame here. But SOMEONE should have been concerned enough to at least take a few minutes give me call or write a letter. No one had even told me about the 'Power School' I did not find that out til we contacted the teachers.

Posted June 13, 2008

We've experienced good and bad at RMS. The regular school year and most of the teachers were good. The counselor was wonderful. I have to agree with one of the other parent reviews that teachers take the attitude 'it's not my job to like you.' My child will never attend summer school at RMS again. The teachers are burned out, rude, quick to blame and very condescending to the students. It's no wonder summer enrollment is so low; the incentive gift card isn't worth it. The concerned matters have been brought to the principal's attention, but no response.

Posted July 24, 2007

My son's 3 years at RMS were excellent--due to the stellar staff. My son has a slight learning disability and the teachers, staff, & counselors were there 100%. I received calls at home just to 'check in,' meetings whenever I asked, and an ability to provide input. This school would not work only for a parent who didn't want to be bothered at home and expected school to do everything. Parents NEED to be involved. I would recommend Raytown school (and do) to everyone. both of his elementary schools (Southwood and Norfleet) were also outstanding.

Posted May 26, 2006

RMS is a great school, some of the teachers are hard, but they are not mean. I enjoyed my time there and made friends of all different ethnic groups. I enjoyed their after school activites, and they have a great gifted student program. I miss being there! I would recommend this school to anyone. student - class of 2010 ***** A+++ : )
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 13, 2006

I am very very disappointed with this school. I do not think there is one principal, teacher or faculty member that cares at all about the child or their job. The teachers my child had were useless, did not want to help at all, put it all on my child who needs the extra help. The Counselor also did not care a bit. She was very hard to get ahold of and she was never with it very much, basically all over the place. I would not recommend this school to anyone unless there was no other option.

Posted January 11, 2006

The school is nice but there should be more ethnic people.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 22, 2005

Raytown Middle school is wonderful! I love going there. I have met great friends and wonderful teachers! I will miss RMS after this year. Though hopefully RHS will be just as good! - student, trailblazers class of 2010
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 25, 2005

My daughter struggled in 6th grade (2004-2005). I was very happy that I was allowed an opportunity to meet with the team. They advised me that my daughter had to 'want' to learn and that she had the ability to do well. However, I found it disheartening that they were willing to leave the decision to fail or succeed in her hands alone. I wish (other than PowerSchool that allows parents to view the grades after they are recorded) that there was other means for the parents to become actively involved in their child's education. I believe the district should publish curriculum that allows the parents to teach in advance and, to seek supplementary education tools.

Posted January 8, 2005

My daughter has struggled since entering Raytown middle school. The office staff is unfriendly on day to day interactions. I am very dissapointed. Her grades have fallen and she is affected by the 'It's not my job to like you' philosophy adopted by the staff. Her elementary school within the same district was wonderful.

Posted March 1, 2004

For the first time in my daughter's educational life she is thriving. Something I didn't think I would ever see. The teachers take note of her 'special' needs and yet pushes her to strive for the next level. I love Raytown Middle. The whole school disctrict is the best in my opinion. Thanks for helping me see that my daughter CAN accomplish something in life. I will always remember the greatness of Raytown Schools.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 52% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 55% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 55% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students35%

White48%
Free or reduced-price lunch28%
Students with disabilities31%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students33%

White59%
Free or reduced-price lunch30%
Students with disabilities32%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A44%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4900 Pittman Rd