No rating

St Teresa's Academy

Private | 9-12 | 128 students

Living in Kansas City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $248,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted August 14, 2013

I graduated in 2009 from St. Teresa's Academy. Going to this school was the best decision of my life. With the way that classes are set up, teachers are able to give their undivided attention to students. If a student still feels as if they are struggling, they are then offered wonderful resources such as the Math Science Resource Center, English Resource Center or Peer tutoring which an academic advisor will assign. The sisterhood alone is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life as it is what encouraged me to grow and work my hardest to succeed. I was more than prepared for college and actually found that I was in fact ahead of a lot of other students in some of my college classes. I still wear my class ring as a 22 year old and never take it off. It is a reminder to me how important those 4 years of my life were and I plan on sending my kids there one day. St. Teresa's was such a positive experience and actually pushed me harder than some of my college classes. I am excited for each and every young woman to experience the sisterhood and the outstanding education they will receive.

Posted February 7, 2013

I am a current Student at St. Teresa's and I can say the environment is amazing. The main problem is the math department. It is awful. If your daughter struggles with math, do not send her to St. Teresa's Academy. The teachers do not work with you and you will have to pay for outside tutoring at least once or twice a week to keep grades up. There are some new math teachers that do not explain the material therefore it is a struggle everyday. STA is a great community but something needs to be done about the teaching styles of the teachers and the teachers need to know how the students learn in their "own" way.

Posted January 29, 2011

As a current student at STA (2011), I wanted to address a few comments that I've read about STA on this site that seem inaccurate: 1. Many STA students have attended Ivy League or highly selective schools (Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford just from the class of 2010). Students who excel academically are not a rarity at STA at all. We also have some of the highest SAT/ACT averages in the Kansas City Area and consistently score well over national averages. 2. Also, there is absolutely no correlation between a student's wealth and the whether or not their teachers enforce the uniform policy. Some teachers are lax about the uniform policy, but I have never encountered any discrimination because of race or wealth. 3. Now, STA students are all issued laptops, and all teachers are required to have an online class page on Moodle (our school forum), where students can communicate with teachers, upload their homework, and see all assignments and grades. I recommend that anyone who looks at this, rather than read an outdated posts, look at the school newspaper's website, www.dartnewsonline.com.

Posted December 7, 2010

It's a good school for KC. It doesn't quite measure up to top tier high schools around the country. The college matriculation is 100% but the list of colleges ranks midlist or lower and includes a lot of community colleges. One student was accepted to Yale - but that is rare. The admin is aggressive about contacting parents for fundraising, but poor in support re: student and teacher issues. They are also arbitrary in enforcing school policies - laxity increases with the wealth of the parent. Thenew headmaster has only recently raised math requirements to match the minimum required for college (from 3 years to 4). But if a student stumbles at all, the rigid grading scale blocks them from pursuing higher level courses even if they ace a comprehensive final exam. Some teachers put their curriculum, homework and assignments on line to help parents, most don't. Another caveat - the grading scale is 70-100. So a score in the low "80's" is a C. Car insurance is lower for teens with grades of B or better. We were unable to get a rate reduction even with a grade point average of 83.

Posted September 8, 2009

STA has given me a better education that I could ever imagine. I've made friends for life, and the college-like atmosphere has proven extremely beneficial in easing my transfer from high school to college.

Posted May 22, 2008

I am a recent graduate of STA and it was an amazing experience. The academics are (to say the least) above par. STA's teachers go above and beyond their call of duty to ensure the success of all their strudents. Each girl is given the opportunity to become a capable, independent woman - and most do. Aside from the excellent education I was provided with, the STA community is one I will forever hold dear to my heart. Over the past four years it became my home. I begrudgingly walked in as a freshman, and I have now begrudgingly walked out as an alumna.

Posted July 5, 2006

My two daughters have both benefited from an education at St. Teresas Academy. I have watched them grow into strong educated, service minded young women with many leadership skills. I can't thank STA and it's staff enough for the wonderful education they have provided for my daughters. Both the girls say that they will one day send their own daughters to St. Teresa's Academy.

Posted October 10, 2005

I love STA and you will too! Its an amazing place with a better learning environment than some colleges! If you want a fantastic education and a great high-school experience, STA is the place for you. The academics are beyond compare, and 100% of our students are accepted to colleges. Whats not to love?

Posted September 27, 2005

OK, I am actually a student at STA, but don't you want some info from the inside, from those who get the full experience? I am a sophmore for the 05-06 school year, and I love STA more than I could possible put into words. I never looked forward to coming to school in the morning until I started here. It is a great place for young women to learn, whether or not they are catholic. I myself am not a catholic and they truly respect your beliefs here. I love STA and I guarentee that your daughter will love it too. You can even contact staff members to set up a tour of our fantastic school. Hopefully we will see you soon and if you just joined, welcome to the St. Teresa's community! Deo Adjuvente Non Timendum for another 140 years!

Posted November 19, 2004

Hi everyone, I am a junior at St. Teresa's Academy for the 2004-2005 school year. All i can say is that this school has given me the greatest preperation for college. You are reated as if you were a college student because you are given a modular scheldule and you are given oppurtunites to work and help yourself in free time. The sense of self-independence and freedom is excellent. Nothing is sugar coated for you. You are given all the oppurtunities for the best colleges you just have to apply yourself and make it happen.

Posted November 11, 2004

Okay, I'm not a parent but I'm a student, and this school is the best ever! It's so awsome! I love it! Go to www.stteresasacademy.com to find out more. This school is so good.

Posted September 4, 2003

If you are looking for a school that will provide a challenge for your daughter and prepare her well for college, then you should consider St Teresa's Academy. I have found that the girls who attend this school gain many leadership skills as well as an excellent well rounded college prep education. The students attending STA also develope a sisterhood with fellow students that lasts for a lifetime.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5600 Main Street