9-12|Private

Bad
Good

I graduated in 2009 from St. Teresa's Academy. Going to this school was the best decision of my life. With the way that classes are set up, teachers are able to give their undivided attention to students. If a student still feels as if they are struggling, they are then offered wonderful resources such as the Math Science Resource Center, English Resource Center or Peer tutoring which an academic advisor will assign. The sisterhood alone is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life as it is what encouraged me to grow and work my hardest to succeed. I was more than prepared for college and actually found that I was in fact ahead of a lot of other students in some of my college classes. I still wear my class ring as a 22 year old and never take it off. It is a reminder to me how important those 4 years of my life were and I plan on sending my kids there one day. St. Teresa's was such a positive experience and actually pushed me harder than some of my college classes. I am excited for each and every young woman to experience the sisterhood and the outstanding education they will receive.

I am a current Student at St. Teresa's and I can say the environment is amazing. The main problem is the math department. It is awful. If your daughter struggles with math, do not send her to St. Teresa's Academy. The teachers do not work with you and you will have to pay for outside tutoring at least once or twice a week to keep grades up. There are some new math teachers that do not explain the material therefore it is a struggle everyday. STA is a great community but something needs to be done about the teaching styles of the teachers and the teachers need to know how the students learn in their "own" way.

As a current student at STA (2011), I wanted to address a few comments that I've read about STA on this site that seem inaccurate: 1. Many STA students have attended Ivy League or highly selective schools (Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford just from the class of 2010). Students who excel academically are not a rarity at STA at all. We also have some of the highest SAT/ACT averages in the Kansas City Area and consistently score well over national averages. 2. Also, there is absolutely no correlation between a student's wealth and the whether or not their teachers enforce the uniform policy. Some teachers are lax about the uniform policy, but I have never encountered any discrimination because of race or wealth. 3. Now, STA students are all issued laptops, and all teachers are required to have an online class page on Moodle (our school forum), where students can communicate with teachers, upload their homework, and see all assignments and grades. I recommend that anyone who looks at this, rather than read an outdated posts, look at the school newspaper's website, www.dartnewsonline.com.

It's a good school for KC. It doesn't quite measure up to top tier high schools around the country. The college matriculation is 100% but the list of colleges ranks midlist or lower and includes a lot of community colleges. One student was accepted to Yale - but that is rare. The admin is aggressive about contacting parents for fundraising, but poor in support re: student and teacher issues. They are also arbitrary in enforcing school policies - laxity increases with the wealth of the parent. Thenew headmaster has only recently raised math requirements to match the minimum required for college (from 3 years to 4). But if a student stumbles at all, the rigid grading scale blocks them from pursuing higher level courses even if they ace a comprehensive final exam. Some teachers put their curriculum, homework and assignments on line to help parents, most don't. Another caveat - the grading scale is 70-100. So a score in the low "80's" is a C. Car insurance is lower for teens with grades of B or better. We were unable to get a rate reduction even with a grade point average of 83.

STA has given me a better education that I could ever imagine. I've made friends for life, and the college-like atmosphere has proven extremely beneficial in easing my transfer from high school to college.

I am a recent graduate of STA and it was an amazing experience. The academics are (to say the least) above par. STA's teachers go above and beyond their call of duty to ensure the success of all their strudents. Each girl is given the opportunity to become a capable, independent woman - and most do. Aside from the excellent education I was provided with, the STA community is one I will forever hold dear to my heart. Over the past four years it became my home. I begrudgingly walked in as a freshman, and I have now begrudgingly walked out as an alumna.

Last modified St Teresa's Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12