Kansas City, MO

The Barstow School 2

Posted December 05, 2014
Middle school is excellent. High school is awesome. Do not waste your money on the lower school. More than half the kids in math have tutors and the teachers are mean. No clue about child development. Writing program is excellent and no one is cut from the sports teams.

The Barstow School 2

Posted September 26, 2014
Barstow has a very poor Math teacher in the upper school. She selectively posts the students' worst grades. She doesn't allow them to check over review questions for long enough, only a few minutes, then, collects them. The other Math teachers are great. She is the department head of math. She needs to go. She is not definitely not fair and a very poor teacher.

Posted May 23, 2014
great awesome happy i really think this school has a great student basis and faculty and they just won boys state in golf and girls tennis so athletics are thriving

Posted February 01, 2014
Barstow is a really good school. Everyone is so accepting and supportive. Its a great school! The teachers are outstanding in their fields and make learning fun. Barstow is no comparison to public school. It is just perfect.

Posted October 03, 2013
The answer to what makes The Barstow School unique does not lie in a number. It s not the ratio of students to faculty members, though that certainly helps. It s the community. As a current student, I can attest to the ease with which I can involve myself in every aspect of student life. At Barstow, if you try out, you are guaranteed a spot. I am challenged each day to better myself, and endeavor to figure out who I am and what I stand for. We re in school to learn how to learn. We're taught not only how to understand concepts without accepting them, but how to challenge ideas, new and old, as well. In a speech I will never forget, one faculty member told us to be proud of our accomplishments, but to strive forward, and never settle. At Barstow, my teachers push me to be the best that I can be. Because they know that if you fail, having tried your very hardest, you've still succeeded. I didn't come up with all of these ideas on my own. While I have been cultivating my garden, my teachers have influenced, directed, and guided me along the way. And when it boils down to it, my teachers are the reason I've never considered going anywhere else. Take this as a sampling of their work.

Posted January 19, 2013
My husband is a graduate from Barstow. He loved it as a student, and we now love it as parents. We currently have 2 girls in the lower school program and couldn't be happier. Our kindergartener is reading, taking spelling tests, constantly involved with hands on field studies, sculpting, singing various spanish songs, practicing yoga, performing on stage, mimicking famous art peices, and eager to do it daily. Barstow is the only school in the region to have a 1:1 iPad to student ratio. Yes, that is right, Barstow issued iPads to every lower school student down to pre-school. The students can bring them home and have homework assignments on the iPads. Barstow is a step ahead of the surrounding schools. The curriculum is tough, but the teachers are amazing. There truly is a sense of "belonging" at our school. You feel like part of a big family, rich or poor, everybody helps everybody out. I love this school!!!!

Posted December 09, 2012
We currently have a freshman who has been at Barstow since pre-Kindergaten. We have been extremely satisfied with the education that she is receiving. Class sizes are exceptional and the curriculum is challenging and very complete in terms of preparation for college. We have been pleasantly surprised by the family atmosphere. In reference to the posts from June 22 and 23, 2012 which are obviously from the same poster (and certainly not from a parent), Barstow is not in any way a Pembroke Hill "wannabe". I graduated from Pembroke and it is an excellent school. Barstow is also an excellent school and has been perfect for our daughter. My advice(if your choice is limited to these two schools) would be to choose depending upon the right fit for your child and your family. In my opinion, these two schools separate themselves in Kansas City for college preparation.

Posted October 16, 2012
Our child has been at Barstow since pre-K. We are now in middle school and couldn't be happier. We have not experienced any of the clique problems nor wealth stratification. Although our family is probably on the lower end of the wealth curve, neither my child nor we have felt this was ever an issue. The class sizes are small and the children tend to stick together with each other. Barstow supports diversity and drives towards excellence. This is not a school for parents who want a latch-key education experience--like all good parents, one needs to stay involved. But, we have found Barstow geared toward teaching our child the skills necessary for understanding how to take personal responsibility and be a leader. This is also not a school for parents who solely focus on grades or sports. Barstow is focused on the whole child. The Math Club president is just as likely as the football quarterback (Barstow does not offer football) to be respected and recognized by the rest of the class. The student-teacher ratios are excellent. And, the technology provided to the students is top notch (all children move to laptops for assignments, notes, and some text books by middle school).

The Barstow School 1

Posted June 23, 2012
I have been very disappointed in Barstow. It is not as good as I would have expected nor as they try to pretend to be. I have also found that they are inflexible. Take a good look at the alternatives in your area. There are more choices than ever to pick from and no need to pay $$ to get this.

The Barstow School 1

Posted June 22, 2012
Barstow is a Pembroke Hill wannabe. It simply is not even close to what Pembroke offers. Having been to both, I can tell you. Worth the extra drive to Pembroke Hill. The staff is much better all around.

The Barstow School