PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Excellent English and Science programs. History could be taught by some of the kid in this school. Math at lower level, not good, lacking in ability to reach every child and they manner they need to be taught.

Amount of homework: Agree

Amount of homework is fair. Most all teachers are available to assist if there are issues, there are only a couple that make themselves unavailable just as school ends. Teaching is not an 8-3:15 job!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Integrity and honesty are only talked about in the Ethics courses, which has a fabulous instructor, Barstow nor their Executive staff live by this. This is definitely a "for profit" institution and business decisions trump truth and veracity.

The cost of this school does not match up to the expectations one would have, when paying such a larger sum of money. There are better alternatives in the area where quality and cost are equal. The Freshman Geometry class is a joke. Kids are expected to teach themselves, in essence. A college prep school should over emphasize the need for math and prepare these kids for ACT/SAT as well as successful futures, it doesn't happen at the entry level of H.S. and parents/students are forced to wait till Sophomore year and beyond to get the equivalent math education, to the money you spend. Too the college counselor is seen as a threat to the kids vs. heir advocate. Barstow need to up their education game and renew their upper school staff with freshers.

I attended through high school and Barstow did a great job cultivating my interests and preparing me for college. They even created a tailor made math course to futher my education in calculous.

Barstow has a middle school English teacher who can't spell! This is not OK. There are many qualified people out there who could do that job.

Middle school is excellent. High school is awesome. Do not waste your money on the lower school. More than half the kids in math have tutors and the teachers are mean. No clue about child development. Writing program is excellent and no one is cut from the sports teams.

great awesome happy i really think this school has a great student basis and faculty and they just won boys state in golf and girls tennis so athletics are thriving

Barstow is a really good school. Everyone is so accepting and supportive. Its a great school! The teachers are outstanding in their fields and make learning fun. Barstow is no comparison to public school. It is just perfect.

The answer to what makes The Barstow School unique does not lie in a number. It s not the ratio of students to faculty members, though that certainly helps. It s the community. As a current student, I can attest to the ease with which I can involve myself in every aspect of student life. At Barstow, if you try out, you are guaranteed a spot. I am challenged each day to better myself, and endeavor to figure out who I am and what I stand for. We re in school to learn how to learn. We're taught not only how to understand concepts without accepting them, but how to challenge ideas, new and old, as well. In a speech I will never forget, one faculty member told us to be proud of our accomplishments, but to strive forward, and never settle. At Barstow, my teachers push me to be the best that I can be. Because they know that if you fail, having tried your very hardest, you've still succeeded. I didn't come up with all of these ideas on my own. While I have been cultivating my garden, my teachers have influenced, directed, and guided me along the way. And when it boils down to it, my teachers are the reason I've never considered going anywhere else. Take this as a sampling of their work.

Last modified The Barstow School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12