Kansas City, MO

Northgate Middle School 1

Posted February 22, 2014
I concur with a previous parent that Northgate was very disappointing to the extent that we are moving to the Park Hill School district. I am an involved parent with my child. Most of the teachers and administrative staff are "set in their ways" and after many conversations I now see was just "lip service", "public relations nonsense" or "customer no service", take your pick. The Power School online grading program is under utilized and does NOT reflect accurate grades as I have on several occasions had to contact the school to have the grades corrected. With a couple excepts have refused to inform me of upcoming task my child was required to complete so that I may proactively monitor his work so consequently it has unnecessarily multiplied the challenge for me to assist and my son to complete his work. The couple of teachers who was proactive in this area helped to prove my point. It is much better to be proactive then reactive. Northgates's unofficial but obvious position with parents is "speak only when spoken to". In talking to other parents I have found the school is quick to blame the student at least in part in their defense on many occasions. SHAME ON THEM.

Northgate Middle School 1

Posted May 31, 2012
Northgate was a dismal experience for my child. She was bullied and staff made no effort to remedy the problem - even after it was brought to their attention. The kids at that school are apparently not taught the basics of respecting other individuals. There were a couple good teachers that my daughter had, but overall, teaching efforts were targeted to the lowest common denominator. My child entered middle school all excited about learning, and her experience at Northgate beat that right out of her. We're having to do a whole lot of work to undo the damage inflicted by her year at Northgate. I am most unhappy. I used to be a big proponent of public schools, but no more based on this experience. Public schools, starting with Northgate, should be dismantled and parents given vouchers to enable them to send their kids to schools of their choice. We're lucky because we can afford to take my daughter out of Northgate and send her to a private school - which she will be attending next year. I really feel for the parents of kids who don't have similar resources and who are stuck in that school.

Northgate Middle School 0

Posted April 15, 2009
I loved this school! I attended Northgate from 2005-2008 and have met the nicest people there. The teachers are there after school to help you and I was prepared for high school this year.

Northgate Middle School 2

Posted April 13, 2009
This school is horrible. The diversity isnt there. I have a biracial child that got teased and made fun of because he was different what are we teaching kids.

Northgate Middle School 2

Posted June 07, 2007
- a former student

Northgate Middle School 5

Posted December 05, 2006
PSH! this is the best school ever. Love Chelsea

Northgate Middle School 5

Posted June 01, 2005
A progressive area school. This is a well-run, friendly, family-style school which provides a steady atmosphere for kids at a sensitive juncture in their lives. We had all three of our children attend 6-8th here. A very competent and effective administration and counseling staff make this a wonderful place for parents who want to join in their students' experience. There is a strong parent involvement and community spirit reverberating throught the halls of Northgate. Our children developed socially in leaps and bounds through their years here. Developing life-long friendships seemed easy in the bright, welcoming environment. The faculty was friendly, attentive, and open. We met regularly with our kids' teachers and they always seemed appreciative for the involvement. The teachers seemed to have a good rapport with the students and the parent-student-teacher relationship was strong.

Northgate Middle School
2117 NE 48th St, Kansas City, MO  64118
Last modified Northgate Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northgate Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top