Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

With my 6th grader, he is able to complete all of his homework within 30 minutes. He is typically assigned very small, daily, assignment in addition to a small weekly assignment for each class. The weekly assignments are great for helping the students develop crucial time management skills!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers hold students accountable for their actions which promotes honesty and personal responsibility. They really listen to their students and the parents.

We are new to the district and my son started 6th grade this year (2016-2017 school year). He has an IEP and I was initially very concerned with how he'd adjust to middle school. I can now say with absolute confidence that those concerns were completely unfounded as each and every single one of his teachers has gone above and beyond to ensure his academic success. I receive daily feedback on his performance and positive suggestions to help him with any struggles. They really know how to properly balance his learning plans in a way where he receives necessary accommodations without diminishing his sense of accountability and personal responsibility,which is absolutely crucial at this age. In addition to the quality of his teachers, I'm also very impressed with the multiple before school/after school activities available to the students at Northgate. They seem to have an activity for everything! The cost of these activities is incredibly reasonable ($40/quarter, $10 for students receiving free/reduced lunch) AND they provide bus service! It's an absolute blessing to working parents! The only reason I did not give it a full 5 star review is due to the layout of the school. The classes can be a bit spread out and the whole layout is pretty confusing to parents and new students. However, after his first day, my son seemed to know his way around pretty well. As for some of the negative reviews, some parents are just not involved with their kid's education and rarely communicate with the teachers. Then they blame the teacher when their child has issues in school. The teachers aren't babysitters and while 6th, 7th and 8th graders are old enough to be accountable for their own actions, they're still young enough to need parental guidance and support when they're at home.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The adults don't behave with honesty, integrity, and fairness. How can their students? Attitude reflects leadership.

Better than St. Joseph School District by a very little margin. Poor parent communication. The school does little to prevent bullying or communicate accurately with parents. A lot of finger pointing occurs.

Our Daughter has been out of school since September for being attacked by another student she was being bullied we notified the school and our daughter talked with her counselor about the bullying. The School District slandered us made us out to be the bad guys". Todd White Refuses to Transfer our daughter. Still to this day they are Violating My Daughter Civil Rights!!

My kids enjoy they school. Teachers communicate timely about tasks and expectations. I've never had a teacher ignore my email or phone call. There are many ways students can get involved in school. It's a good place to learn

I concur with a previous parent that Northgate was very disappointing to the extent that we are moving to the Park Hill School district. I am an involved parent with my child. Most of the teachers and administrative staff are "set in their ways" and after many conversations I now see was just "lip service", "public relations nonsense" or "customer no service", take your pick. The Power School online grading program is under utilized and does NOT reflect accurate grades as I have on several occasions had to contact the school to have the grades corrected. With a couple excepts have refused to inform me of upcoming task my child was required to complete so that I may proactively monitor his work so consequently it has unnecessarily multiplied the challenge for me to assist and my son to complete his work. The couple of teachers who was proactive in this area helped to prove my point. It is much better to be proactive then reactive. Northgates's unofficial but obvious position with parents is "speak only when spoken to". In talking to other parents I have found the school is quick to blame the student at least in part in their defense on many occasions. SHAME ON THEM.

Northgate was a dismal experience for my child. She was bullied and staff made no effort to remedy the problem - even after it was brought to their attention. The kids at that school are apparently not taught the basics of respecting other individuals. There were a couple good teachers that my daughter had, but overall, teaching efforts were targeted to the lowest common denominator. My child entered middle school all excited about learning, and her experience at Northgate beat that right out of her. We're having to do a whole lot of work to undo the damage inflicted by her year at Northgate. I am most unhappy. I used to be a big proponent of public schools, but no more based on this experience. Public schools, starting with Northgate, should be dismantled and parents given vouchers to enable them to send their kids to schools of their choice. We're lucky because we can afford to take my daughter out of Northgate and send her to a private school - which she will be attending next year. I really feel for the parents of kids who don't have similar resources and who are stuck in that school.

I loved this school! I attended Northgate from 2005-2008 and have met the nicest people there. The teachers are there after school to help you and I was prepared for high school this year.

Last modified Northgate Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.