Posted May 21, 2011
I LOVE THIS SCHOOL AND THE STAFF. We moved here last year due to a job transfer. My kids love it here and hate to even think about returning to their old school. The staff treat you like family as if they already had been knowing you. My son was a little off with his reading grade level, and they worked with him and now he is back on track. We all love this school.

Posted September 08, 2010
We moved out of Hawthorn school boundaries last year and I miss the school a lot. The staff are very friendly and personable and willing to meet and talk with you about any concerns. We stayed in the Park Hill school district but I do miss the staff at Hawthorn a ton. After we moved the staff were still willing to meet with me and discuss problems we had with the school change. I would highly recomend this school to anyone who is looking for a great school experince.

Posted May 07, 2010
I love Hawthorn Elementary!! I relocated from another state and they have do nothing but made us feel at home. My son was a little behind and was not used to taking a lot of test, but they worked with him and he is right on track now. He tends to act out occassionally but they handle it perfectly with out going overboard or letting him get away with things either.

Posted September 29, 2009
This school system is awesome!! I have two girls (5th and 7th grades) they love school and their teachers!!!!! We won't be moving from this district until they graduate....

Posted October 01, 2008
The positive climate at Hawthorn and high expectations for students make it a great place for children. You can tell staff members are expected to remain positive and are held accountable by the principal.

Posted April 01, 2008
This school has went above and beyond my expectations. The building is excellent. My daughter continues to grow not just educationally but socially. She is taught tolerance and acceptance of all types of people. She reads well beyond her grade level and has loved all of her teachers. I have no problem with the way they handle behavioral problems and my daughter has had some in the past. They have worked with her and done it in a kind and encouraging way. With our support, she has started doing much better and we are so proud of her. I think the children that have discipline problems here that are unresolved may be partially due to the lack of support from parents. I love this school and have never been so pleased. My daughter loves it too.

Posted January 30, 2007
My son was a first grader when Hawthorn opened five years ago. He is now a fifth grader there. Without exception, my son has had terrific teachers. And Miss Tulipana is an excellent principal. In speaking with other parents whose children attend Hawthorn, I have not heard anyone remark that their child had a poor teacher. Overall the Park Hill School District is good and therefore Hawthorn is among excellent peers. The secretaries in the office are helpful and courteous. The PTA is good. A bit of a clique perhaps; but they are active in helping out. Better that than apathetic. The new music teacher is terrific. As is the PE teacher. I have not met the art teacher. Overall I have found the school to be terrific and have no complaints.

Posted December 24, 2006
I have been nothing but pleased with Hawthorn Elementary. We specifically moved to this area of Kansas City because of the Park Hill School District. Our daughter has thrived at Hawthorn. Most exciting to us is that she is reading 3 grade levels over her grade. I also can't say enough good things about the teachers that we have had so far. They go above and beyond what I was expecting.

Hawthorn Elementary School 1

Posted August 31, 2006
I am really disappointed in this school. My son did fine there in kindergarten but has struggled this year. They are not flexible with their discipline system even if it does not work. This school is fine if your kid does everything they are told when they are told to do so. Otherwise you may want to look elsewhere.

Posted October 04, 2004

Hawthorn Elementary School
8200 North Chariton, Kansas City, MO  64152
Last modified Hawthorn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top