Posted June 17, 2014
Brookside Charter School really let me down. My son started in the Pre-K program. Mrs Stillwell was the director. Very Nice Program. The problems started when he moved to Kdg. Mr Roger Offield is a horrible principal. He has no structure built for the school, and nor him or the teachers in their early 20's straight out of college have the proper training to deal with the kids in our community. I feel like everyone shows up to get a check. If it was not for me staying up late nights working with my son he would not be on the level he is on today. Brookside was just a babysitter for me, because when I visited my son kdg class it was like a zoo. Out of maybe 10 kids including my son only 1 kid was focused. Others were up around doing as they pleased around the class, including my son as the teacher taught with her back turned. As much as i wanted to put my son in line...I sat there to see what goes on. And no, this was not a snapshot of one day. My Husband sat in the class two weeks later and had the same feedback, not knowing what i experienced myself. Shame on you Mr Offield. And now he is being promoted to Director...I can see the school will be shut down in the next year or two.

Brookside Charter School 2

Posted June 16, 2014
When my grandaughter started atttending Brookside Charter School it was very organized, small number of students in classroom. The teachers cared and worked with the students. All the teachers that were there when my granddaughter sarted have left except for about 6 teachers. That's sends up a red flag. We are considering sending our grandchild to another charter school or a private school. We are very disappointed in administration.

Posted May 02, 2014
I feel this school is the worst school ever. I thought it was wonderful when i first got there after switching from University Academy but I hate it there. There is an abundance of drama and bullying that the teachers and administration do not handle. Also the teachers do not prepare the students for standardized testing. They just give the students work and expect us to know it and know what we need to know for standardized testing. I, in conclusion, think Brookside Charter School is a very bad school and I regret leaving University Academy (the best school EVER). P.S. My name is Krishon Harris and I am an 8th grad student.

Posted April 03, 2014
My school is very helpful to the students. The 8th Graders are preparing for an Algebra I EOC and they teacher, Mr. Weischedel, is helping humongously with the number of 14 in the classroom.

Posted October 09, 2013
This school is awesome and is on the rise in the KCMO district. I was concerned about the negative reviews, but this school ROCKS! The teachers have real enthusiasm and concern for all of the kids in their classes. Administration seems very supportive of the teachers and are efficient in meetings I have had with them. School is very recommended.

Posted February 20, 2012
Brookside is a fantastic school! My son started here when he was in Kindergarten, and now he is in fourth grade. He is excelling in all subjects, making friends, and all of his teachers have been very communicative about any issues that arise with him at school. I'm glad this school is here! I'm not sure what we would do without it.

Posted July 21, 2011
Our son started 1st grade here and he has autism. From our personal experience Brookside has been with him every step of the way and he has grown tremendously. Wow! what a job his teacher and therapists have done with him. Mrs. Snow is outstanding, a blessing as is the Principal who has been hands on from day one. I think some of the parents are a mess and give Brookside a bad name, coming in half dressed or in their pajamas to drop off their kids or they pick them up smelling of marijuana. Other than these unfit parents, I think Brookside teacher and staff are great!

Posted December 07, 2010
The educational quality at the school is horrendous. The school's scores on the state exam have dropped continuously for the past few years and the school is now operating at a level lower than the surrounding school district: http://dese.mo.gov/planning/profile/apr/ayp0489166950.html In 2010 only 6% of the students passed the communication arts exam and only 11% passed the math exam. So the school missed AYP for 3 years in a row. Despite the constantly dropping test scores over the last 8 years, University of Missouri - the school sponsor - keeps promising a fix, then turns a blind eye to the lack of quality there. At one point, a City Councilman went to both the university and the state's governor to beg for an intervention. The State even took the drastic action of issuing a "Cease and Desist" order and a large fine on the school for its discriminatory actions toward a student. Parents were never informed. If you're looking for a quality education - this isn't the place to trust with your children.

Posted August 30, 2010
The teachers there are very unconsiderate when it came to my child from my experience. Because when my child got behind in school it took the teacher 3 weeks to tell me that my daughter was behind in class, therefore it put pressure on me and my child to play catch up all year long. As if I don't have anything else to worry about. Later I ended up tansferring my daughter to another school and is doing great, and the teachers are more quickly to tell you that your child is having a problem in school work.

Posted August 13, 2010
I LOVE Brookside My son enrolled there last year and his growth from that time to now has been amazing. He had the BEST kindergarten teacher I could ever wish for. She helped him with his social skills (he was a little shy around kids his age) and helped turn him into a little social butterfly. He is 6 reading on a 5th grade level, wonderful at math, and he even left kindergarten doing 1st grade work getting straight A's all along the way. The office staff has always been helpful and the others teachers as well. I love how picking up and dropping off your child forces you to stay involve. And the community events that the school holds are always fun. I think that if you stay involved Brookside gives you the tools to have a successful child.

Brookside Charter School
1815 East 63 St, Kansas City, MO  64130
Last modified Brookside Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brookside Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top