Center Sr. High

Public | 9-12 | 674 students

Posted December 15, 2013

I have one child left at Center High School. While there are a number of excellent teachers, administration is so bad that it keeps parents away from crucial involvement. I've spoken to many families who have left Center due to the ineptitude of Center's administration and the flagrant ignoring of parental concerns. The grade school was great, but had I known what was ahead at the high school administrative level, we never would have stayed.

Posted August 6, 2013

My School is Center High School. A hidden gem in South Kansas City. They are their own district and not only fully accredited, but also a 2012 Missouri Gold Star School of Excellence. The district is the right size for the staff to get to know families and help them through their entire school career. My son isn't just another number like he was in the big suburban districts. He has a name and personality. In fact his 2nd grade teacher was just asking how he is doing in High School. Center puts the well-being of its students and the community first and provides a first rate education in the process.

Posted July 20, 2009

I am the parent of two Center High School graduates from the classes of 2005, 2008 and soon to be 2012. Both of my kids are attending college and the teachers at Center prepared them for college. I do believe the Center offers a great education for the students and they have teachers and school administrators who care and show compassion. With any school, it is the responsibility of the student to learn and parent involvement to keep the student on track to become a good student and good citizen. Center offers a variety of clubs, sports, and programs to involve the students and keep them engaged in school beyond normal school hours. I I am proud to be a part of the center community and a a parent who supports school activities and I serve as a volunteer, as needed.

Posted November 10, 2008

I am a teacher at CHS and I love it here. The kids are a joy to be around, the administration is one of the best I've ever seen, and the staff is caring and supportive of both the students and eachother. The Center family supports its sports and its arts programs both, and that is refreshing. The environment is wonderful, the school is clean, and has wonderful technology. I personally send my own child to the middle school because it's so much better than the suburban school we came from. I love being at Center, I love my students and I love teaching here. Go Yellowjackets!

Posted April 12, 2008

Center High School is the best school in its community. Center has survived the horror of racial riots and the side effects of discrimination, changes in leadership, test score fluxuation, the rise and fall of major extracurriculars, and the lose of good teachers. However, Center has become a school that represents true racial and cultural diversity, at Center there is truly equality. Some of the nations greatest educators have steped through the doors of Center High School....such as Mr.Timothy Greenwell (Formr.Center All-Star), ***Kathleen Chirpich*** (Most Amazing Educator of All Time),Glenda Werst...(Center Mathmatician), Skye Nicholson (Formr.Center Scientist). These are just a few that have touched my life, and many other lives. At Center the activities are spectacular with amazing student, parent, and staff participation. Our small size has enabled us to all be so close and to love eachother and our school. We are Yellow Jackets!!!!!!!!! We are Center!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 29, 2008

I was a student at center but i now live in houston texas and i must say their is no place i'd rather be then at center.Yes center has it's problems but what place doesn't. People always talk about what the school used to be like and that's not fair to the kids to are there now.Center will never be the same because times have changed. The standard of education has changed and so has the world. No we may not have the most educated teachers but what they lack in degrees they make up for in compassion. The teachers at center actually care about their students and they offer help beyond the class room duties. The activities at center provide a safe haven from the streets surrounding the school and to be honest north kansas city is becomong quite dangerous. The facilities offered to the students are better than any other school around. Center is the best.

Posted January 20, 2007

They have controlled the behavior part but now they just dont care and they keep getting new people that dont care...Overall it a good education but it is going downhill...They have very poor science and english departments with very excellent math and social studies departments...Its ok for know but who knows how long...

Posted September 18, 2006

I am a jounior at Center High school and i want to say that this school is ok true it did used to be better but there is only so much one can do. If you come to Center than just buckle down dont worry about the cliques and stuff just study hard and ask for help if you need it. Mercedes

Posted August 24, 2006

Center Senior High is a very good school. I'm a 2006 graduate from Center and i go to Hutchinson Community College on a cheerleading Solar ship and then I'm tranfering to Hawaii Pacific Unversity. I know that some times you hear things about Center on the news such as fights but every school has fights. the teacher at center really care about the students only if the students care about there education. The only thing bad I can say about Center is that there really is that when i was a Junior there i think a lot of people cars were getting broke into and that some of the sports there are really bad such as baseball, boy soccer and boys basketball and cheerleading but there are some very good sports to do there like Danceline, Band, Color Guard, Hip-Hop team. Thats about the only thing that was really bad at Center.

Posted July 7, 2006

I graduated from Center in 2001, and had nothing but the best experiences, in sports ,caring teachers and principal, and students. Also the parents were also involved in our extracurricular activities. If I ever return to KC I would surely enroll my child.

Posted April 18, 2006

I usedc to go to center high school, then i moved to grandview. center highschool is an awesome school. teachers care and are willing to help you out. everyone at center has school spirit... and i know that for a fact because i was a cheerleader there and at every center sport event, the bleachers were filled and everyone was cheering on their school. of course there are fights, but what school doesnt have fights? like seriously if i could go back to center i would.they got a new principal last year and that was the best thing for center. the new principal has made center a better and safer place for the students. kristina bisby

Posted February 3, 2006

I am a senior at Center High School and I really like this school. As far as all of the fights and problems that go on in this school... think about it... What school doesn't have fights? What school doesn't have problems that they have to deal with? I am glad that I will be graduating from Center because I've been here since my freshman year, and I probably would not have wanted to go to another school. The principles this year leave a lot to be desired but everything else is fine. ~Charmaine~

Posted May 5, 2005

I graduated from Center Sr. High in 1995. My brother in 1997, sister in 2000 and the baby graduating in 2007. Over the years I have seen a decline in the level of education and lack of academic programs. But I strongly believe that parents should also contribute to the welfare of the children to ensure that there isn't a continuation of this decline. Like many other districts as they grow things get out of synch. The staff is working hard to set new goals and finding different ways to achieve them.

Posted February 26, 2005

I go to center. i am currently a junoir there and have ben in the district since kindergarden. i think our school is diplorible. half of the teachers dont know what they are doin or cant take the time out of their 'busy' day to help you with important questions. If i were a perent i would not want my child going to a school like i do .

Posted November 14, 2004

Fights every day? No. I'm a Center senior this year and there is no where in the world I'd rather be. Not only do the teachers care, they are your friends. No where else will you see this much culture and character in a school. We are fully accredited and have improving attendance rates, test scores and ACT scores. As safe as any school you'll find. The Center School District is technically urban but has many suburban qualities. A great place to be. Truly unique. I'm proud to be a yellowjacket.

Posted October 20, 2004

I am a Senior at Center High School, and I believe that Center is on the path to a great education system. This is our first year with new administration almost district wide. I see some major improvements in the education, and I seem some problems. But I am sure that with time all the probalems can be solved and our school will be providing the best education in one of the most diverse atmospheres possible. This school has taught me about life and how to succeed in it.

Posted December 15, 2003

I think Center school district is a great district for children to be in. I graduated in May 2002. Very glad to say that everyone there did there best to accommodate me and my educational needs.

Posted November 2, 2003

This school is going downhill fast. Five years ago it was an ok school but now there are kids doing whatever they want, teachers not caring. I don't like sending my daughter there.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 55% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 64% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 67% in 2014.

169 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English II

The state average for English II was 75% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 66% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Government

The state average for Government was 62% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 48% in 2014.

n/a

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Blackn/a
Whiten/a
Free or reduced-price lunchn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 67%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8715 Holmes