Kansas City, MO

Center Sr. High 2

Posted December 15, 2013
I have one child left at Center High School. While there are a number of excellent teachers, administration is so bad that it keeps parents away from crucial involvement. I've spoken to many families who have left Center due to the ineptitude of Center's administration and the flagrant ignoring of parental concerns. The grade school was great, but had I known what was ahead at the high school administrative level, we never would have stayed.

Posted August 06, 2013
My School is Center High School. A hidden gem in South Kansas City. They are their own district and not only fully accredited, but also a 2012 Missouri Gold Star School of Excellence. The district is the right size for the staff to get to know families and help them through their entire school career. My son isn't just another number like he was in the big suburban districts. He has a name and personality. In fact his 2nd grade teacher was just asking how he is doing in High School. Center puts the well-being of its students and the community first and provides a first rate education in the process.

Posted July 20, 2009
I am the parent of two Center High School graduates from the classes of 2005, 2008 and soon to be 2012. Both of my kids are attending college and the teachers at Center prepared them for college. I do believe the Center offers a great education for the students and they have teachers and school administrators who care and show compassion. With any school, it is the responsibility of the student to learn and parent involvement to keep the student on track to become a good student and good citizen. Center offers a variety of clubs, sports, and programs to involve the students and keep them engaged in school beyond normal school hours. I I am proud to be a part of the center community and a a parent who supports school activities and I serve as a volunteer, as needed.

Center Sr. High 5

Posted November 10, 2008
I am a teacher at CHS and I love it here. The kids are a joy to be around, the administration is one of the best I've ever seen, and the staff is caring and supportive of both the students and eachother. The Center family supports its sports and its arts programs both, and that is refreshing. The environment is wonderful, the school is clean, and has wonderful technology. I personally send my own child to the middle school because it's so much better than the suburban school we came from. I love being at Center, I love my students and I love teaching here. Go Yellowjackets!

Center Sr. High 5

Posted April 12, 2008
Center High School is the best school in its community. Center has survived the horror of racial riots and the side effects of discrimination, changes in leadership, test score fluxuation, the rise and fall of major extracurriculars, and the lose of good teachers. However, Center has become a school that represents true racial and cultural diversity, at Center there is truly equality. Some of the nations greatest educators have steped through the doors of Center High School....such as Mr.Timothy Greenwell (Formr.Center All-Star), ***Kathleen Chirpich*** (Most Amazing Educator of All Time),Glenda Werst...(Center Mathmatician), Skye Nicholson (Formr.Center Scientist). These are just a few that have touched my life, and many other lives. At Center the activities are spectacular with amazing student, parent, and staff participation. Our small size has enabled us to all be so close and to love eachother and our school. We are Yellow Jackets!!!!!!!!! We are Center!!!!!!!!!!!

Center Sr. High

Posted March 29, 2008
I was a student at center but i now live in houston texas and i must say their is no place i'd rather be then at center.Yes center has it's problems but what place doesn't. People always talk about what the school used to be like and that's not fair to the kids to are there now.Center will never be the same because times have changed. The standard of education has changed and so has the world. No we may not have the most educated teachers but what they lack in degrees they make up for in compassion. The teachers at center actually care about their students and they offer help beyond the class room duties. The activities at center provide a safe haven from the streets surrounding the school and to be honest north kansas city is becomong quite dangerous. The facilities offered to the students are better than any other school around. Center is the best.

Center Sr. High 3

Posted January 20, 2007
They have controlled the behavior part but now they just dont care and they keep getting new people that dont care...Overall it a good education but it is going downhill...They have very poor science and english departments with very excellent math and social studies departments...Its ok for know but who knows how long...

Center Sr. High 3

Posted September 18, 2006
I am a jounior at Center High school and i want to say that this school is ok true it did used to be better but there is only so much one can do. If you come to Center than just buckle down dont worry about the cliques and stuff just study hard and ask for help if you need it. Mercedes

Posted August 24, 2006
Center Senior High is a very good school. I'm a 2006 graduate from Center and i go to Hutchinson Community College on a cheerleading Solar ship and then I'm tranfering to Hawaii Pacific Unversity. I know that some times you hear things about Center on the news such as fights but every school has fights. the teacher at center really care about the students only if the students care about there education. The only thing bad I can say about Center is that there really is that when i was a Junior there i think a lot of people cars were getting broke into and that some of the sports there are really bad such as baseball, boy soccer and boys basketball and cheerleading but there are some very good sports to do there like Danceline, Band, Color Guard, Hip-Hop team. Thats about the only thing that was really bad at Center.

Posted July 07, 2006
I graduated from Center in 2001, and had nothing but the best experiences, in sports ,caring teachers and principal, and students. Also the parents were also involved in our extracurricular activities. If I ever return to KC I would surely enroll my child.

Center Sr. High
8715 Holmes, Kansas City, MO  64131
Last modified Center Sr. High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Center Sr. High Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top