Kansas City, MO

Burke Elementary School 3

Posted January 14, 2009
This is my son's first year at Burke and overall our experience has been great. However the only thing that concerns me is the amount of times my son has came home complaining of older children mistreating him in the morning during breakfast and during restroom breaks. I really can't say much else about the school as I stated earlier this is our first year. I will say that I sincerely hope that in the school would put more focus on math and science as they are as important to be successful as well.

Burke Elementary School 2

Posted May 29, 2008
I took my child out of Burke one year ago because of her lack of growth in reading and math. She now goes to a private school and has struggled all year because of the lack of fundementals that were given to her. I am so disappointed to be a middle class american and live in a middle class nieghborhood and have to pay someone to teach my child because of a failed public school system. I happy to hear about the new reading program. That was not offered when my child went to school. In the 1st grade, more than half of her peers were not reading. She was one of the smartest in her class. In private school she was 3rd to last. With a lot of learning gaps in math. I wish the staff at Burke the best. Please keep in mind, math is just important as reading.

Burke Elementary School 0

Posted March 05, 2008
The School spends to much of their attention in reading. They need more focus in math.

Posted February 16, 2008
Talking to the reading series, the way they are teaching reading now is great. I have seen so much growth in my students reading ability this year. The teachers at this school are great and you feel like you are always in the loop. The feel of the school is friendly and caring.

Burke Elementary School 0

Posted February 16, 2008
Mr. Kapmeyer is wonderful. He can be a little green, but he loves the children and is very smart. He is the reason my children were pulled from Pembroke school

Posted October 25, 2007
Highly disappointed in the direction Burke has taken in teaching the students. The fact that they are focusing so much on reading my child and all other children in this school are being shortchanged in Math and Science. And the new Math curriculum is abhorrent. To find out that my student is getting 3 or more hours of reading and only 40 minutes or so spent on math and science, all I want to do now is pull my child from this district. Teaching to the tests is the worst way to go.

Posted February 14, 2007
My Family loves Burke. The teachers are caring and have gone out of their way to help my kids.

Posted August 16, 2004
This school definitely needs to improve the tutoring services available to the kids. Also, they need to focus on the kids that lack in math and reading skills. The test scores are profoundly horrible, compared to other districts. I just recently relocated from Colorado to Missouri and reading the overview of the test scores for Burke are appalling, it displays to me that the teachers do not care or lack of funding, but with these test scores improvement is inorder. I regret moving to a Hickman Mill Dist., my child is not going to excel!!!!

Posted July 30, 2004

Posted August 10, 2003

Burke Elementary School
111th and Bennington, Kansas City, MO  64134
Last modified Burke Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burke Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top