No rating

Hickman Mills Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Student diversity

Posted September 28, 2010

I currently live in the Hickman Mills School District and I'm trying to run fast as I can. I have one daughter who graduated in 2007. Yes she is in her 4th year of college but she is struggling with her Science/Math courses. I now know it's because she was not prepared. She wasn't taught the basics or fundamentals needed to succeed in those areas. I now have an 8th grader who I pulled from the district. I have since enrolled him in private school. His number one thing on his Christmas list was to go to a different school. RED FLAG #1. I won't use this forum to bash teachers/administrators but I could go on for days about the lack of attention, detail, accountability and compentency! This district is failing students who have a desire to succeed in life!!

Posted March 15, 2010

As a student of Hickman Mills High School, I believe that the teachers fully prepare their students to go into the world, not looking for sympathy from their teachers or others. The teachers enforce the fact that your grade and results are your responsibility. This has raised our test scores, and we have met AYP this last year, while other schools in the same financial predicament have not. We can accredit this to the quality of teachers, and students. For those who claim that the teachers, principals, and vice principals are not giving us enough attention or that they don't care about us, that is a big lie. The fact that these teachers have kept teaching at this school, instead of teaching at a more well off school, shows their dedication to their students, and their jobs. They give us what we need to know.

Posted February 12, 2009

Hickman Mills has problems with discipline, but I do not believe it's the schools problem, but more of a society as a whole problem. Parents need to become active in thier children's lives and enforce what is being taught at the school.

Posted September 30, 2008

The school can be a dominant one in the area if it had been given the appropriate guidance it needs and if the teachers would teach where the students understand and learn. Are our math and science teachers tteaching above or below the levels of the students ability? Lack of classroom control without any teacher reprecussions to the teacher is inconceivable. The principal needs to be more active and supportive of it's student body. The principal and assistant principals should be out in the morning welcoming and greeting the students. Show you care about them. All tests given at the school should reflect on what the student has learned during the past few months. Do not give a ACT type test or SAT test like what was done this past year without parents being told or the students beforehand. Don't give ACT tests for finals.

Posted August 9, 2007

My daughter graduated from HMHS in 2002. It was an excellent school. We were proud of the school and her teachers. The academics prepared her for college.

Posted March 23, 2007

I am currently a senior at HMHS and I feel my four years there have been wasted. It's a terrible school and with all of the chaos going on, it's hard to keep your eye on authentic goals. We need changes, and FAST. I feel the school still has a chance to change in many respects, but it's evidently going to take a lot of work. I just hope the graduation ceremony isn't a total disgrace again.

Posted June 28, 2006

I am a sophomore at Hickman Mills and I feel that this school has gotten worse overthe years! I agree with the parents on the issues of the district and more the less its schools.

Posted May 24, 2006

When we moved into this district in 1988 it was a selling point to buying our house. What a disappointment it has become. I have now graduated three students from HMHS. Thankfully our third child learned to blind herself from all the choas and actually learned something.This School has not had a friendly learning enviornment since my first child graduated in 2001.The graduation ceremony has become absoutely disgraceful.

Posted April 25, 2006

I am a student at Hick Man Mills High School and i believe that the students along witht he teachers are trying as hard as they can. There has not been one teacher that has not given me their insight to the course. Hickman is not the worst or the best school around, but it is my school and I respect every one here. We are all trying our hardest to get ready for college.

Posted January 24, 2006

I feel the district has given their schools the green light with discipline and they have lost track of what their mission is,which is to educate the students. My two children attended Kansas schools,so I have never experienced negative attitudes, and comments from teacher's and administrators until moving into this district. Most parents feel the same, but they don't care to address it together. In the year and a half my son attended Hickman, I have met 4 of 16 of his teachers, who were friendly, respectful, and seemed to care about his progress. I left work to attend a scheduled conference with a teacher, and found a note on her door. Her swim lessons were not as important as my son's progress.

Posted March 28, 2005

I am a sophmore at Hickman Mills Highschool and I strongly agree with the parents on this issue. I do not believe that so many students can fail the MAP and other things if the teachers were willing to teach. Given that there are some teachers that do educate, it only takes one to flunk a million. That is why I want to transfer schools so that I can get the education that I want and need. I am sure that other students would agree with me when I say Hickman Mills has gotten worse and worse over the years.

Posted December 27, 2004

I am a senior at this school, and obviously, its not the greatest of institutions. So much blame is put on the teachers for the lack of interest, but tell me then, how is it that I as a student at this highschool am able to progress forward? A teacher cannot teach a child who is unwilling to learn. This school has a program called CODE, where students who are willing to be challenged, can take challenging courses. The funding is there, and the dedicated teachers are there, the only thing lacking is the motivated students.

Posted October 19, 2004

This high school is a discrace. The 'don't care' attitude resonates through the students, teachers and yes, even the principal. My daughter is a sophmore at this high school and has so much potential, but this environment is quickly changing her positive attitude towards school. More than half the students that graduate from this school do not go on to college. Some of the teachers at this school only teach the child to copy their notes onto a test to make themselves look like a good teacher, when actully the student has not truly learned the class material. Some of the teachers have even told me they will not assign all the homework or put it on a test because, ' they won't remember it anyway.' I heard this comment from 3 teachers at this school. It is sad the students who graduate from this school will not be prepared.

Posted September 8, 2004

Having graduated from this school in 1985. I have found that the quality of education has greatly declined. When we here 'No child left behind', it translates to every child pushed through for the goverment money. I have 4 children in the district, 1 graduated- self starter. The others can not even write a compelete sentence- grades 6, 8, 11. They say its the parents fault. Well as a alumni of the school take your resposiblity. When a teacher tells the child it is OK to spell phonically, a parent does not stand a chance. Yes, it starts at home, but continues at school.

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9010 Old Santa Fe Rd