No rating

Ruskin High School

Public | 9-12

Student diversity

Posted June 26, 2014

The teachers are horrible and fights all the time they try to pick out the students who cause trouble and send them to an alternative school and the food is terrible it don't know how this school is not shut down?
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 20, 2011

I am student who witnessed, and is still witnessing, the consolidation of Hickman Mills High and Ruskin High. Upon entering Ruskin, I had expected the worst about the school, the building, and the people. I am glad to say that all my assumptions proved to be just that: assumptions. I now love Ruskin and enjoy high school in general even more than I had at Hickman. I have yet to meet an unenthusiastic teacher. I truly feel as if every single one of my teachers, as well as extra-curricular sponsors, care for my academic development. They challenge and push me to exceed my own expectations. Overall, attending Ruskin, I feel assured that I will achieve my goals and acquire many desirable skills.

Posted May 2, 2008

I currently attend ruskin high school as a junior. It is full of 'true' people. I moved to ruskin at the beginning of this year from Park Hill South in Parkville, MO. I was so scared the first day of school because i am one of about 30 white students but i learned how everyone was equal!! I love ruskin and i will be proud to graduate from ruskin.. 09!!

Posted October 21, 2006

I went to Ruskin myself, from 9th grade to 3/4ths of the 11th grade. If I hadn't moved I would have been proud to have graduated there. Since I moved to a different school I dropped out, but if I had stayed in KC, I would have graduated. I loved it there. The teachers were great. They taught me a lot. Even the students were great there. They always wanted to learn. Bethany Johnson would have been a graduate of c/o '06'

Posted October 7, 2006

I am a parent of Ruskin High School.I have (2) children that have attended(1) that graduated and went on to college(3rd) year.Ruskin is a very good school and it takes involvement,when you disaggree with things.nothings perfect, but everyone from teachers,principals and students try to improve academicly, you have to want to learn to succeed,no matter what school you attend.

Posted June 18, 2006

I graduated from RHS in 2005 as an exchange student from Germany. Though the first impression wasn't that great, Ruskin is a great school with many people that care. I met more people that put efford in this school than not. I'm proud that I was given the opportunity to graduate from this school with many great people.

Posted December 1, 2005

I am A 2008 gradute at Ruskin HighSchool. Many times Ruskin gets areally bad review but in all it really is not that bad. The test scores may not be the best but we try and many teachers give thier all to the school. In all I am proud to gradute from RHS.

Posted September 20, 2005

I am an 2007 Ruskin high school graduate. Unlike most students that attend R.H.S I enjoy being there. In my opinion I believe that Ruskin is great school, we have dedicated teachers administrator, principals, student even our janiters are dedicated. We manage to keep our heads up no matter what people think or say -C. Harris c/o '07'

Posted March 22, 2005

Ruskin has many strong programs. The Music Department includes Orchestra, Band, Music Theory/Composition (includes a partnership with the UMKC Conservatory of Music), and Choir. Debate, Drama, advanced math and science, languague arts all are important and strong at Ruskin. There are numerous AP classes. The sports program offers numerous opportunties for boys and girls. ROTC is one of the best in this area. There are many wonderful teachers, and the students are aware of the teachers that will help in any way possible with their educational process. We need more parent support overall, but there are many caring, wonderful parents that stay in contact with admin., faculty, other staff, and are involved with their child's education.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 22, 2004

Ruskin is not as bad as people say that it is. The academics may not be the best but the school does have a lot of Wonderful teachers there that care. Ruskin Does have College Courses as well, That are credited to UMKC. Overall Ruskin is a good school. The Diversity there also will help to get us ready for the real world. I am part of the majority there and it isnt that bad. There are some bad kids but doesnt every school have that? Thanks to my teachers helping me though my rough times and building my self esteem I am going to attend a university and get my PHD in Psychology. If not for them I may not have realized my potenial.

Posted July 9, 2004

I am a 1997 graduate of Ruskin. Things are very different today, however. I am now an admissions counselor who visits twice a year to recruit students for college. The ACT, GPA, and extracurricular activities I'm seeing on college applications has decreasd considerably. I am dissapponited that the curriculum is not 'college-bound'. Just labeling a class as if does not justify the means. I think there are teachers that really care and many that are just there... With a little support and effort on both ends Ruskin can raise the bar.

Posted November 12, 2003

Ruskin gets a lot of unfair press and not enough good has been highlighted about our school. Parents should become more involved, the students should concentrate more on their academics. Some students do, but we need more students who care. We want to lead by example, so other parents will send their students to Ruskin rather than paying thousands of dollars to private schools.

Posted August 13, 2003

This is a wonderful school! My daughter did not want to leave when we moved, so she commuted the 3o minute drive everymorning.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Geometry

Government

U.S. History

Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

700046 East 111th St