Bad
Good

Symington Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
Symington is a good school and I like the opportunities of advancement for the children.

Posted May 22, 2013
The staff at this school are really unprofessional compared to the school we relocated from. My sons teacher was constantly calling in sick, she assumed all kids who attend this school are poverty stricken which was not OUR case. I also had to hear about my child being spanked by the substitute teacher and when I was notified the principal would not give me her name I complained and it went no where! All they said was that she has been released from working in this district. Poor teachers, principal, superintendent, and school. By the way my child would get only one page of homework a week in the 5th grade....unacceptable!

Posted April 23, 2013
Coming from Sante Fe my daughter and I really enjoyed and preferred Symington in the 09-10 sy. She was learning and had an EXCELLENT teacher! The next year when she returned for the 2nd grade everything began to go down hill. There were many things that occurred that disturbed me but the thing that upset me the most was when my daughter came home explaining that her teacher had shared her opinion on homosexuality. My family is faithful to our Christian beliefs so you can imagine my outrage! Of course I brought this info to the school principal who didn't believe that the teacher meant it in the way my daughter explained it but that she would definitely speak with her regarding the issue. The next year her 3rd grade teacher quit and the spent the rest of that year with a sub who could not control the class. By this time I had enough and went to the Hickman Mills Superintendent requesting a transfer that was granted. For the12-13 sy my request was denied due to the expected amount of transfers from KC.This year my 2nd grader spent the first part of the year in a class that was a combo of 2nd & 3rd graders and the recess aids are a unnecessary expense to say the least

Symington Elementary School 2

Posted January 01, 2013
The school sucks I cnt wait to move out the area the first day of school the put my 5yr old child on the bus and she was outside for a hour in a half all by her self the bus company called us not the school when we spoke with the school the front desk lady act like it was nothing then the principle I don't like her at ALL she is rude not active with the parents r the kids she just there the second tyme was in the lunch lady office my child is highly allergic to peanuts,fish,any seafood and my child said they keep feeding me this cheese rolls for breakfast I said why she said idk I told them I can eat the stuff there as long as its not peanuts are seafood once again they get smart instead of talking she tells my child what gone eat and why she gone eat it instead of talking with me the principle did nothing again didn't even address the issues then they didn't put my child on the bus again so my wife called and said shes not home the school let her stay after school I had to go up there and no one cared but her teacher I hate that school I hate it and yes I am very involed in my child school iam there all the time talking to the teacher are jus pop ups I love my child and care alot

Posted May 16, 2009
My 3 children have been going to Symington for about 3 years now and I have ran into ongoing problems with some of the teachers, recess aids who seem not to care about the students well-being, and the help that the child needs. This school is not organized at all & I have complained to the school & the school District many of times about different situations, and there still hasn't been a better change, it would seem to me that they would appreciate concerned, involved Parents so that this school can make changes and do better, 3 years is to long not to listen and take full responsibility. I am fed up & I don't even want my children to take any part at this school. I want the best education for my children!

Symington Elementary School

Posted October 22, 2007
I am a long resident of this neighborhood. All three of my grandchildren have attended this school. From what I have seen and experienced, the principal, teachers and staff are loving and nurturing towards the children. Needless to say there are instances where there are other factors that may cause someone to 'feel' neglected ... but, the teachers I had the pleasure of working with challenged and nurtured each of my grandchildren. All three are on the National Honor Society, play instruments and have been in NO trouble ... with the law or in school. Discipline and good work ethics start at HOME!

Symington Elementary School 3

Posted February 09, 2005
My child attended Kindergarten and first grade. I felt the teachers he had were wonderful. I had to withdraw my child after first grade, because my child fell behind due to parent involvement was low, where a lot of parents couldnt help their children with homework because they couldnt speak english. Causing the whole class to suffer. This was very sad. I also was told that the higher the grade levels, the more the teachers had to focus on discipling the children instead of teaching.

Posted March 12, 2004
I feel the teachers at Symington elementary are not concerned with the welfare of students or how well they are teaching them. I have seen first hand the daily abuse from teachers towards students. The neglect and harsh words are imbedded forever in the minds of students and will alter our childrens lives. To what extent? We will not know until the future.

Symington Elementary School
8650 Ruskin Way, Kansas City, MO  64134
Last modified Symington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.