Posted September 21, 2012
Borderstar is a wonderful school! I love the principal and all of the teachers are trained in montessori and certified. Both of my students are gifted and their support for these students is exceptional. I am also very impressed with all of the extracurricular offerings like violin and chess. I couldn't be happier with the teachers, the principal or the other families and programs - it's a great educational environment for children!

Border Star Montessori 3

Posted March 11, 2012
Mixed reviews. Definitely depends on your child's teacher. Border Star has several dedicated teachers who are wonderful, but also has many teachers who are overwhelmed & burned out. Might be better now that the principal has left. Better than most in the KCMO district. Great parents & a nice community, but the loss of KCMO's accreditation will drive many families who have a choice away. It's unfortunate for the others who don't have a choice. I don't feel like it is worth the tuition for preschool though.

Posted January 21, 2012
A wonderful school, wonderful students, wonderful teachers, a wonderful community. We wanted to send our daughter here before she was even born, and we were very fortunate to get in. One of the few bright spots in the Kansas City School District, which would otherwise have forced us into private school.

Posted April 26, 2011
My 2 daughters have been attending Borderstar for 4 years now and absolutely love it. They are way more advanced than public school kids their age. My oldest learned multiplication in 1st grade and my youngest learned how to read & write in cursive in Kindergarten. Borderstar has a wonderful violin and piano lesson program starting in preschool and the teachers are patient and take great care to make sure each child learns before moving them further.

Border Star Montessori 2

Posted January 19, 2011
No way would I consider spending over 6k+ for pre-K at this lackluster school. I can get a smaller, private montessori preschool at the same price that actually knows my child and demonstrates a high level of caring and customer service that this school/district isn't capable of. My child won't be back.

Posted April 29, 2010
Great school! I wouldn't send our daughter to any other school in the KC area. Great principal, teachers and staff. A real cornerstone in the community.

Posted March 26, 2010
We've been involved at Border Star since our son started attending 5 years ago. Our daughter started as a P3 3 years ago. I cannot say enough positive things about the principal and teacher quality. Both our children are doing as well or better than their friends who attend private schools. I am proud to tell people that my children attend public school - this public school.

Posted March 06, 2010
My children both attended this school for six years, my oldest graduated last year and is currently in middle school. Choosing Montessori and Border star was truly the best educational decision we have ever made. The prinicpal and staff are excellent, and while the overall school district has its problems, creating a Montessori program was something they have done well. My son, now a Junior, just got a 28 on his ACT and is in the IB program. This is due to a strong Montessori foundation which he will carry with him through college.

Posted March 05, 2010
How disappointing that there are still parents who view Border Star as a 'free preeschool'. With a waiting list over 50 children long to get in for the P3 class, she is taking a spot from a parent that truly believes in the school. Only 10% of preschool families choose to take their children out. Border Star has the highest rating among all KCMSD schools for reading at or above grade level and among the lowest attrition rates. The Montessori system is not for everyone. In particular, it requires a strong relationship between student and teacher as well as Parent and Teacher. Our children are far ahead of their counterparts at both other KCMSD schools and those at Private schools. This may not be typical, but certainly the opportunity to excel at Border Star is there.

Border Star Montessori 0

Posted March 05, 2010
We've been at the school for 4 years now and will be sending our youngest to Border Star next year. I consider the school to be one of the bright lights within the KCMSD. It does have to blend being a public school and all that entails with Maria Montessori's principles, but they must being doing something right as the school was recognized by AMI last year and continues to work on keeping that recognition. My husband and I have been very pleased with our daughter's teachers. She has thrived academically and made many friends. The best part of Border Star is how involved the parents are with everything. It really does feel like a BIG family. Mind you there are always things that could use some work, but no school is perfect and the committed parents, teachers, staff and students are ready to tackle whatever needs addressing.

Border Star Montessori
6321 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO  64113
Last modified Border Star Montessori is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Border Star Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top