Kansas City, MO

Posted February 08, 2011
My first grader at Holliday is reading well above his grade level, and writes in cursive. My 4 year old brought home an easy reader about Max the Cat and proudly read it aloud to us. Holliday offers art, music, PE, computers class and library. The teachers there are very dedicated. The test scores (for whatever they are worth) are above average for the district. The school is new and attractive. Each wing has a small courtyard garden that the children tend to. They have lots of field trips. Because of Kansas City's lousy public school reputation, we thought we would have to move across the state line to send out kids to school. Holliday was a wonderful discovery. Holliday is struggling right now under the new District superindendant, who either does not understand what Montessori is about, or just doesn't care. His draconian approach to closing schools, firing teachers and cutting programs may appeal to some, but I am not at all pleased with him.

Holliday Montessori 2

Posted December 14, 2009
We left this school in 2008 after there was a major administration change in 2007. Both children started as P3 and attended for many years. We would not recommend this school to anyone because of the current leadership as of fall 2009. The school has taken a terrible turn for the worse since the administration changes. It was such a great school for so many years. It is a shame since most of the teachers are very qualified and caring but without strong leadership they can only do so much.

Posted March 19, 2008

Holliday Montessori 0

Posted July 21, 2007
- a former student
I am a former student now parent. My child is not school aged, however, I fully intend on trying to get him into Holliday when he does become that age. I received the best education a parent could ask for. When I moved on to high school, I felt like I was overly prepared. I was far more advanced the some of my fellow classmates. I still come back periodically to visit the teachers that were very instrumental in my education. I felt it was a group effort amongst the staff, not just by my teacher, but the entire staff.

Posted May 27, 2007

Holliday Montessori 4

Posted October 05, 2006
I have a child at Holliday, this is her second year. While I do believe she is receiving a quality education, there are a few areas where improvement is needed. Safety and discipline policies should be clearly and strictly enforced. There have been instances where I feel the school is to accessible. Parents/guardians should not be allowed to pick up children outside in the playground area after school. All parents should enter the front door and sign their children out first, then pick up their child. Children should not be allowed to misbehave or 'act out' without serious consequences. Also, there should be a less tolerant uniform policy. Holliday provides a warm, nurturing environment and a great educational opportunity. I would highly recommend this school to parents looking to place their children in this kind of environment.

Posted January 27, 2006
I have 3 children at Holliday for '05-'06. The multi-age classrooms and individualized work flow have been essential for my very high-performing 5th grader. She has been encouraged to progress at her own pace and is performing well above grade level. My 1st grader has some speech issues which have caused some delay in language arts these issues have been addressed with concern and professionalism by the staff. In a traditional classroom environment he might feel like the odd man out but the range of abilities present in a montessori classroom have destigmatized his problems. His love of learning is a testament to the method and the wonderful teachers at Holliday. I am very involved at school and appreciate all of the family support our school recieves. The work of our PTA is a great asset to the development of all our children.

Holliday Montessori 3

Posted October 03, 2005
I have a child in P4 who is in Mrs Favor classroom. I believe that this room accomodate her and the needs of the children very well. The restroom, water fountain and sink is right there at their disposal. This setting is very educational for the children it helps them to become very dependent and responsible. I occas ionally sit in on the classroom to see how my child is behaving and interacting with the other children. He has become very independent as far as being able to go to the restroom and washing his hands without being told to do so. I really enjoy and thank Ms. Jolynn and Mrs Favor for everything that they do to help me with my child and helping him to become more independent. Thank You

Posted August 26, 2003
My daughter attended Holliday in grades K - 8, and my son, from the age of 3 through 6th grade. My parents were both teachers and principals, and I am a teacher myself. Although I have always lived in a suburban district, I wouldn't send my children anywhere but Holliday. I like it so much, in fact, that I took the Montessori training, and am in my fifth year of teaching at Holliday. (I taught 16 years at a very good traditional school before that.) My daughter is literally at the top of her class in her suburban high school, and my 7th grade son will be taking 8th grade math. Holliday has excellent parental involvement, and peer pressure is very minimal. This is a good, safe place for children to learn and excel in a multiracial environment.

Holliday Montessori
7227 Jackson, Kansas City, MO  64132
(816) 418-1950
Last modified Holliday Montessori is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holliday Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top