Kearney High School

Public | 10-12 | 916 students

Posted July 25, 2014

Kearney High School and all of the school in Kearney are excellent. We moved here to keep the kids from going to a HS in the NKC district and were so glad we did. Amazing difference.

Posted November 1, 2013

All schools have good and bad aspects but for an overall quality education, access to a multitude of extra-curricular activities, and teachers and staff that care, you can't top Kearney. My children are not star athletes nor the star students but these teachers have gone out of their way to help each of my children recognize their potential. And the support of this community is amazing! Maybe I shouldn't write this...it may give away the secret of this fabulous district and people will flock here. Scratch everything I just said!

Posted May 26, 2013

IMO, this is such a dissappointing school ... Academics and getting kids ready for college and real life just doesn't seem to be a priority, and the decision making within this district baffles me.

Posted March 2, 2013

Very poor school. Caters to Athletics and Gifted students. My children only had 2 teachers that cared about their progress in the 8 years they attended there. Liberty schools are MUCH better, send your kids there.

Posted September 11, 2011

Both of my son and daughter have attended school Kearney schools and it was a great experience for each one. The community's involvement with the schools and the extra curricular activities is something I've never experienced or seen anywhere before. Not to mention the solid education they received and guidance to continue building on that foundation with their college career. I have nothing to but good things too say about Kearney and am grateful for the positive experience my children had there.

Posted July 11, 2010

Their "no child left behind" program actually does leave your child behind. Do NOT put your child in these schools if they have any kind of academic problems. Even the smallest learning disabilities are NOT given adequate attention at all of the Kearney schools. I was a transfer student and attended elementry thru 7th grade and no better off when I quit school. I am now learning far more from an online high school program than I ever did in Kearney schools. Additionally, many teachers allow exceptional kids to tease the other kids. Many clicks and favortisim exist in the Kearney School district, and not just among students. There are ample parent clicks as well that exclude certain parents if their kids are not gifted in sports are academically.

Posted December 21, 2009

If your child is good academically and/or good/great in sports, then this is the school for you. Otherwise, if your child has any social problems whatsoever, or has any learning problem of any kind--not matter how small-- then this is not the school for you. They do not give even the smallest learning disabled children or tennagers the time that is required to come up to speed. Kearney spends the most time with the smart and gifted students.

Posted November 4, 2009

As a former student graduating this year in the class of 2009 I can say that without a doubt this is one of the best schools in the state. Not only do they have great academics but they also have many great sports teams. The atmosphere of the town is fantastic and there are few better public high schools in the nation.

Posted October 6, 2009

Wonderful teachers and parents who truly care about the quality of education the children receive.

Posted June 29, 2009

i have been in different districts. We have 5 children and have had them in Kearney 6 years. Two graduated 2009. We would not go anywhere else!

Posted June 7, 2009

I think Kearney could make more of an effort to ensure all students are getting the assistance they need to pass their classes with good grades. There seems to be a great deal of who has the most money succeeds. Kearney does not offer the Missouri One opportunity because as I was told it involved too much administrative time. So, because staff apparently does not want to keep records for students who want to take advantage of this opportunity, there are undoubtedly students who have no change to go to college. I was told most of the Kearney students go to 4 year colleges. Well, I have to say if they aren't offered 2 years free at the Metropolitan colleges, then they have no choice except to enroll in a 4 year college. Most of these students are not ready for a 4 year college.

Posted June 1, 2008

I graduated for Kearney a couple of years ago and truly believe that the Kearney School District has done a lot for me. I am currently in several leadership positions at my university with over 20,000 students and Kearney has helped me with that. I was in sports in junior high but not in high school and I was supported just as much as any athlete by the staff. I am currently an education major because of the teachers and how they have impacted my life. I have come back to substitute teach and the teachers still know my name. Would you get that at any other school? I would honestly raise my kids in Kearney because of the atmosphere and school district. The only problem I have is how the schools are trying to forward themselves and the residents are not supporting them by passing bills.

Posted April 4, 2008

We moved to Kearney almost 3 years ago and our son has been attending the high school. We are not happy with the school system in Kearney and to be quite frank, are sorry we even moved to this town. If you have the opportunity to live on the Kansas side, do so! The schools are much better and so are the taxes. Kearney citizens do not support their schools unless it is sports related. They are in need of new schools and many new things like computers. Taxpayers refuse to step up to the plate and do the right thing for the kids. Looking forward to moving so our son can attend a better school...

Posted April 25, 2006

I am a 2003 graduate of Kearney High School. I am now on a full ride scholarship at an outstanding research university. While I believe some of Kearney's academic programs lag behind those of our neighbors, overall, the ball is in the student's court. No, Kearney did not offer AP classes; however, by taking dual credit courses such as Calculus and Zoology, a student can basically achieve the same results. Kearney certainly did not offer the variety of science courses some of my new classmates had when they were in high school; it's a school that has an average class of 200 students, what can you expect? I participated in sports, band, and various other extra curricular activities and did not feel as though my involvement in any of these activities influenced the way in which I was treated by the faculty in any way.

Posted February 20, 2006

I am a 2003 graduate of KHS and am absolutely shocked at some of these reviews. Yes, Kearney is very sports oriented, but it also prides itself in being outstanding academically. I went to school with people who are now at Yale, Harvard, MIT and in the Air Force and other military services. I think that says a lot about the academics at KHS. As to the comments about the principal, I wasn't involved in sports and I'm not a 'name' and I always received a 'hello, how are you' or at the very least a smile from Mr. Rinne. He has been in the district for many years and put up with a lot and I applaud his efforts at controlling an unbelievably rude, conceited, unruly bunch of students. I agree that Kearney is not the most friendly place, at first, but that's no reason to steer clear completely.

Posted February 8, 2006

I'm shocked at some comments posted in the Kearney High School reviews. I'm a graduate of KHS and I did participate in athletics and other activities. However, my involvement in them was by choice. It didn't earn me 'extra credit' or help get a better education becasue I participated. I had to earn my grades like every other student whether they participate in athletics or not. Participating helped me prepare for life and college by developing critical skills like time management, teamwork, discipline, and leaderhsip. Also, the academic programs are solid. Just look at the graduation rates compared to other MO schools. My class of approx. 150 had people attend Harvard & MIT on academic scholarships. Pretty good in my book. Summary: Kearney's a great school and provides a solid education that adequately prepares children for lifer after high school. It also provides many extracurricular activities for students.

Posted November 13, 2005

Not an experience I would want to repeat. It lacks behind other schools in academics, so if you are forced to move before the kid has graduated, it will be quite an adjustment (in some cases forcing the kid to stay longer and/or repeat courses just to accrue enough acceptable credits to graduate). If your kid is an exceptional athelete, he/she will be welcomed with open arms. If not, it will be a struggle. Community looks like a friendly small town atmosphere, but the key word is 'looks'. Some of the teachers are true gems, hardworking types that do care very much, engage the students, and do a great job with what materials they're given - but there are some that have been given teaching jobs just to stay on the faculty. This is a sports dominated school.

Posted September 9, 2005

I think overall the school district is good. Could be better, if improvements were made in certain areas. For example,the principal Mr.Rinni needs to be more of a people person he's rude if you don't play sports or if you don't have the correct ' last name'.I have 3 students in 3 of the schools in Kearney. Sports is a big part of Kearney students which I think is great,but the preperation for the real world needs a little work.The teachers are all great for the most part.The town of Kearney itself I really enjoy it.

Posted August 17, 2005

I attended Holt Elementary and graduated from Kearney in the 70's. I see not much has changed in all these years. We returned to kearney four years ago. My child faces the same problems that existed 20 years ago. If you are not in athletics,(or connected) you are not accepted and you will be overlooked. My best advice to my freshman:Teachers are paid to teach, you are there to learn. Do the best you can and fight the 'ol' boy network' to achieve your goals. 4.0 is 4.0 popular or not.

Posted June 8, 2005

I am currently a student attending Kearney High School. I felt I should add some comments. I've attended several schools; this school's academic programs are average. I do agree, there is not enough 'real-world' preperation; I have almost no homework, to begin with. I also agree that there is an over-emphasis on sports. The other areas are definitely not as well represented. I'm not sure about parent involvement, but this should be noted: the people attending this school are the most viciously cruel group of kids I have ever met.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

329 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

444 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

All Students63%
White64%
Free or reduced-price lunch57%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

715 East 19th St