Bad
Good

Posted July 27, 2012
What a GEM of a school! My daughter absolutely loved it there. I can't say enough good things about my daughter's experience there. She became articulate, confident & made great friends while being at West. She was sad that I had to transfer her due to recent marriage. I am told by her that everyone can find a friend @ West (not alot of cliques). School spirit (in sports & debate & other activities) is top notch. You can tell so many of the kids love being there (school spirit/like a family). She never spoke of upper classmen bullying the underclassmen (even when she was a freshman). And the curriculum is top notch. I do feel that often they gave WAY too much homework (almost daily). But, they will be well prepared when college comes. Teaches them organization.

Posted February 17, 2012
Regarding the comments made about the yearbook and mentors... As a previous yearbook editor, in 2004-2008, I just wanted to let you know that the yearbook has no affiliation with the staff or administrators at LSWHS. The yearbook is based on what the yearbook staff wants to write about and what the YEARBOOK staff feel is relevant to society today. Because of the first amendment in the constitution, freedom of speech and the press, we are able to write what we feel is relevant to the school. If you want your child not to be able to view these type of things you might want to send them to a private school where each student wears the same clothing. Society is changing and students find themselves trying to find their path, whether getting a tattoo, piercing, etc. You cannot rate a school on their yearbook, that is like rating a town based on their newspaper. It is two completely different things. Also you say that the staff is not professional. I completely and utterly disagree. The staff at LSWHS is both professional and great mentors. I still communicate with my previous teachers who have helped guide me to where I am in my education today (which is Pharmacy School).

Posted October 13, 2010
The available activities (sports and clubs) that the school offers. The involvement of the faculty. Always striving for excellence.

Posted May 11, 2010
The school has very good academic and extracurricular opportunities, however, the atmosphere is terrible. There is a very negative and unhappy feeling amongst the students. I do feel like I got a good education there, and while the point of going to school is to learn, I'm glad I left and got out of the awful social situation.

Lee's Summit West High School 1

Posted June 27, 2009
Very loose standards. Felt like staff wanted to be friends to students more than mentors...Double 2 page spread of belly button rings in the year book. Very disappointing.

Posted June 09, 2009
We moved from Ohio 2 years ago and picked LSW because it was a new and upcoming school. My daughter quickly made new friends and was involved with 2 sports of which she lettered in. She also received an academic letter and finds her classes challenging. She takes IB courses which challenge her and has helped her prepare for college. My other daughter is an incoming freshman and is looking forward to cheering for the first time and will also be taking advance classes. I am excited that both of my girls have found success at this high school...I am glad we chose LSW.

Lee's Summit West High School 3

Posted June 07, 2009
The principal and staff are mostly low key, and do not provide the proper encouragement and help that most students need. The principal seems only to care about her image.

Posted February 20, 2008
I moved to this school from arkansas and this school was the best thing that ever happened to me..... It is so awesome how the parents and students stay so involved with the school and are always up to date with the students activities!

Posted September 06, 2006
I just moved to Lee's Summit, MO. from Lancaster, PA. and have a freshmen attending LSW. The school spirit and parental/teacher involvement at this school is phenomenal. The school staff is very warm and friendly. We are definitely looking forward to the next few years at LSW!

2600 Sw Ward Rd, Lee's Summit, MO  64082
Last modified Lee's Summit West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.