Carman Trails Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 425 students

Posted January 24, 2014

The first two years for my some were rough with not a lot of communication from the teacher. When I expressedy concerns to the teacher about the way I felt the teacher was handling things she refused to contact me and infact would only communicate with me thru the principal. That is not my idea of a professional teacher. The reading instructor was worse she flat out told me that my son would only be successful if he was medicated. From my understanding since that incident it's a big no no to talk to a parent like that. This year my son has an absolutely fantastic teacher who keeps the lines of communication open in a very professional manor ( with out the cutesy way the teacher last year tried to come off) Tgis second grade teacher is by far the best teacher my son has had. I wish we could have her every year. The assistant principal is fantastic too , but I think if we could do it over again I'm not sure I would have moved into this school district.

Posted June 18, 2013

My family's experience at Carman Trails has been outstanding! All of the teachers are dedicated, enthusiastic and very caring. We have been impressed by the individual attention our children have received, as well as, the emphasis on diversity and inclusion in the Carman community. My daughter, who attends South Middle often returns to Carman with her classmates with a strong sense of pride and class spirit, instilled during her time spent at Carman Trails.

Posted December 6, 2012

This school is pretty bad. My child was in Ms. Mayo's class. And we found that if you complain/suggest something to a teacher or Principal, then you will not get much other than retaliation. As a parent I expect the people whom I trust my child with, to be kind, understanding and not egoistic. Beware..

Posted October 17, 2011

I love this school,faculty and staff. My child is thriving and I could not be more thrilled with the care and leadership at Carman!!!

Posted January 12, 2011

I really can't say enough about how much I love this school. It is warm and inviting. Carman Trails staff does an excellent job working to cultivate a community feeling for students who come from diverse backgrounds. All of our children have attended Carman Trails, some from kindergarden through fifth grade and overall our experience has been a positive one. I'm not sure why some people have written negative things here because we have had a great experience.

Posted December 16, 2010

I bought the house within this school district based on the general rating of "parkway south". What a mistake. The staff shows me no organization skills, and no one seems to care about anything. I made an appointment to talk to someone prior to enrolling my daughter. When I took off from work to meet this individual on the scheduled date & time, this individual is nowhere to be found, and no one seems to know where she is during school hour.

Posted May 25, 2010

I have three children all of whom have attended Carman Trails starting in August 2001 up to now (5/2010). I currently have a child attending Carman Trails who has just finished the third grade. We cannot say enough about how great our experience has been in having children attend this school. The faculty, for the most part, have been excellent and have truly done a fantastic job caring for our children academically as well as providing a safe and enjoyable place for them to grow. The principal; vice principal; office staff; teachers of art, music, and PE, and other staff have always been helpful, friendly and encouraging. Our children have consistently scored well into the 90th percentile in all subjects on standardized tests. My only concern has been that I do not like their current math program.

Posted April 28, 2010

My 4th grader has been at Carman Trails since kindergarten when we had trouble even getting him to learn the alphabet. Now he is getting straight A's and is doing incredible on the standardized tests. I can't say enough great things about the teachers and staff - they continually go above and beyond what is necessary. We would definitely recommend Carman Trails.

Posted March 27, 2010

I was very disappointed in Carman Trails Elementary School. The principal lacked professionalism in dealing with our concerns. Social alliances run strong within the school and parents are made to feel that questioning a teacher is wrong. The curriculum itself was very sporadic in structure throughout the year. All in all, very disappointing to say the least.

Posted March 24, 2010

I have multiple children at Carman Trails right now and am very impressed with the whole child approach to education there. Too bad the rating is only test scores when Carman has so many invaluable assets. The teachers actually care about the students- what the children are learning and behavior. When I talk to the principal, I feel like I have her undivided attention and that my issue matters. I have kids in the single gender classroom, the mixed gender and with an IEP and each of them gets specialized attention to fit their needs. Every part of the school, the administration, the teachers, the staff and the parents are cooperating to do the best thing for the children. The curriculum is Parkway's and is well implemented. The student body is diverse, yet you feel the sense of community when you are there. Carman Trails is a well rounded school.

Posted February 16, 2010

My child attends Carman Trails and I was quite surprised to see so many parents score this school so highly since I live in the community where all anybody ever does is complain about it. The administration of this school is faulty. We have been thoroughly unimpressed with the quality of academic programs at Carman Trails. It's pretty much luck of the draw as far as teachers are concerned. Some are great, some are terrible, and many are rather callous.

Posted February 10, 2010

I have had more than one child go through Carman Trails with very different levels of educational and social needs. I have been very impressed with the teacher's involvment in each of my children's ability to suceed and grow. There are plenty of positive reinforcements both in the classroom and in the entire school building. The teachers are supportive of all children and the administation supports their teachers. My children have learned acceptance and patience. It has been a great start to a long path of learning and readied my children for the next step.

Posted January 27, 2010

If you have a child in special ED, you might want to be careful with this school. The required, individual programs are not provided for the students needs. The disciplinary actions are very poor. I have to agree, I do think some children are not held accountable because their parents help out at the school. They have a wide variety of extracurricular activities. When we moved here I picked this school for my child based on the ratings and comments people posted on this website. Everything has its good and its bad, and this school does have its good points; however the school was quiet a disappointment to me and my child.

Posted April 29, 2009

My child is about to finish kindergarten and has learned so much this year! She is reading and writing quite well. The kindergarten teacher is absolutely amazing! The curiculum chosen for the class is appropriate for their age. The principal and asst principal, nurse, office staff, and counselors have been very good to my daughter and our family. The parent involvement in our class is great. I am able to volunteer to attend the class which has been good to see how my child does in the classroom. We are very happy with our first year at Carman Trails and are looking forward to May Day and all that the school has to offer.

Posted September 21, 2008

Five stars. We moved from the city of St. Louis to Parkway South just so we could enroll our son, who has Autism, at Carmen Trails Elementary. Carmen Trails has an inclusive environment and top-notch professionals in teaching and administration. We are so blessed to be able to move to the attendance area of such a progressive and supportive school.

Posted May 20, 2008

The administration of this school is faulty. The principal is nothing more than a smiling knife and has been rude on more than one occasion! Too many students to teachers! Assignments are not age appropriate.

Posted October 1, 2007

My son entered his first year of high school this summer and I have to say he is a well rounded individual. A lot of that is from being a student at Carman Trails. They have some of the best teachers in the state as far as I am concerned. They put on a huge May Day Festival every year and have dedicated teachers that handle this event! Also there are teachers that come to school very early to put on special classes such as juggling, guitar and computer classes. What a shame not to get a higher rating than a 6. This school was like a home away from home. The only thing I would fix is the discipline. I think some children are not held accountable because their parents help out at the school. That was the only downfall I ever encountered.

Posted January 1, 2007

As a parent of a special needs child, I want to say that Carman Trails has been a nurturing and supportive environment for my two young ones (Kindergarten and third grade). There is even support for the parents and siblings of a child with special needs. I can't say enough about the staff! We are blessed to have Mr.Pro, who is truly dedicated to all students, to watch him teach is to truly see an artisan at work. It is also obvious to see the dedication of Mrs. Raeker, she has the name of every student and their parents memorized. I think that makes people feel important and is good for the student's self esteem. She works very hard to make Carman Trails run like a well oiled machine! Thank you all for being such an important part of our lives!

Posted February 8, 2006

I couldn't ask for a better elementary school for my children. They are excelling in every area and are being given a great education from this school The principal is wonderful and nearly every teacher is excellent. Parent involvement is very high and adds to the value of the school experience for the kids.

Posted September 6, 2005

This is an incredible, caring school with incredible teachers. I have four children. Two children are still in Carman Trails, and two are previous Carman Trails students. I feel the assignment book is a great way for the students to learn organization. We have never experienced homework overload at Carman Trails. I have found parent participation, and cooperation to be exceptional.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 49% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 54% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 53% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students54%

Asian/Pacific Islandern/a
White61%
Free or reduced-price lunch40%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students51%

• Ms. Elizabeth Wendling
Fax number
  • (314) 415-6119

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

555 Weidman Rd