South High School

Public | 9-12 | 1899 students

Posted March 20, 2014

I graduated from Parkway South in 2011 and at the time I did not realize how great of an education I was receiving. When I first began college I was pre-med and taking a Biomedical Science class. The labs I was doing in my freshman college class I had already done my freshman and sophomore years of high school. I will admit that I had a few teachers I did not get along with, however that will happen at any school with any student. South has so many classes available and they offer lower-level, average, honors, AP, dual enrollment and CWC classes. They really work to help the students and teach acceptance. The student body is extremely diverse which is excellent; it prepares students for their future educational atmosphere and career. I have had several of the teachers write recommendation letters for me and am so appreciative of everything they have done. I was not active in sports, however I participated Key Club, DECA, the Environmental Club, Peer Teaching, High School Heroes, and I was a buddy for the Special Olympics. South provides its students with so many opportunities, the students just need to be responsible and take advantage of them.

Posted January 24, 2012

It seems that a few of the tteachers don't work with the students rather against them. They make them wait while playing on internet until it is too late to resolve any difficulty that the student is having in class . If they are sick they don't give them a chance to make up the test or extra credit .They would rather fail them . The guidance counselors don't seem to hhelp much either. I am very dissatisfied with this scool. Also the child development curriculum could use a lot of help and direction . Thankyou

Posted April 14, 2011

PSH is just like any other school when it comes to the curriculum and verying courses they offer. Unless you are looking forward to "hood rat" fights almost every day, I encourage you to keep your distance. Only a freshman at PSH, I've seen more fights than on Jerry Springer. Seriously. Someone needs to control this school and as of right now, that's the students' jobs.

Posted November 6, 2009

This school is really good. They offer so many classes and extra-curricular activities. And most students and teachers are nice here. So if you're looking into this school, you should totally go!

Posted March 17, 2008

I graduated from Parkway South in 2006. When meeting students coming from different high schools, Parkway South by far has the most opportunities as far as the classes offered, school organizations and athletics. With so many opportunities, everyone has a chance to find their own place and their own group to excelle in. While there are a few 'bad apples' in the teaching staff, the majority of the teaching staff is excellent, not to mention an outstanding science department! As a freshman, I always looked to the fancy private schools and believed that they were on a much higher level than the public school I attended, but as I met people from these 'high image schools' I find that I am better prepared by the diversity and academics offered at Parkway South. I would encourage prospective students to get a great life experience and education at Parkway South.

Posted January 13, 2007

In comparison with high schools in the western part of the US ie California, this school is definitely very good. I did not realize how great this school was until I moved. It has a more teachers, more money, greater resources, larger course variety, more developed curriculum, and better technology. This is compared to schools in the west.

Posted January 3, 2007

I am a senior at Parkway South and I have to say with all the hype about Parkway this is a very average school. It is very challenging and resourceful but it's not special. The factor that makes it average is that teacher tenure at this school has kept some bad apples who have respect in the school but lack the energy that students need. It's hard to 'owe' any success to this school, most successful students here go places because that's the kind of student they are- not because of the school. If the prospective high school student is looking forward to AP testing, I would say steer clear from Parkway South. Although they have plenty of classes with the 'AP' label, few of the teachers curriculum will prepare for the AP exams.

Posted July 12, 2006

We have had many problems with teacher's bad attitudes. The kids that are bused in are also a cause of huge problems with our child. They use bad language, inappropriate clothing and they are a terrible influence. We are very unhappy with this school.

Posted November 23, 2005

As of May 2006 I will have had a boy and a girl graduate from PSH. They have both had different and positive experiences with the school's diverse activities and teachers. PSH and its staff have very well prepared my children for not only college, but life in general. My son now plays sports at the college level, participates in fraternity life, and maintain a 3.5 gpa in college; my daughter was able to participate in dual enrollment in high school and college her senior high school year in addition to her AP classes, participate in high school independent study courses (courses she and her high school teachers and principals put together), participate in student council, Key club(service club)and Honors society.

Posted May 9, 2005

Parkway South is an amazing school. I did not realize how great a school it is with both it's curriculum and activities till we moved. They offer such a wide variety of classes beyond the normal math, english and science. The majority of the staff is friendly and very helpful. The grading scale is tough, but fair. I feel that my daughter was better prepared for college after her 10th grade year at South than many of the seniors at her current high school in AR. The large number of clubs and activies gives every student a chance to fit in. Thank you SPIRIT OF 76 marching band for giving my daughter two great years! We will miss South! Hopefully I can return to the South area by the time my fifth grader is ready for high school.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 55% in 2014.

289 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 64% in 2014.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 67% in 2014.

383 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2014.

414 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English II

The state average for English II was 75% in 2014.

388 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 66% in 2014.

Government

The state average for Government was 62% in 2014.

412 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 48% in 2014.

421 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

White55%
Free or reduced-price lunch20%
Students with disabilities34%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

801 Hanna Rd