Park Hill South High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 5, 2014

I currently attend park hill south and I absolutely hate it. Most of students are very rich who go there and they sure do show it off. I've heard a lot from other students taking about doing drugs and partying. It's not a good school. Also some of the staff members are very rude.

Posted July 1, 2012

Park Hill South is quite possibly the best high school in the kc mo area. I went to a different school as a freshman and started at south as a sophomore and just graduated this spring. I can honestly say that the academic standards at this school are excellent; the teachers are great and really want to help you learn, and there is plenty of opportunity to get help if you need it. I was also fortunate enoughto be part of the music department in both band and choir, and they were absolutely phenomenal. Honestly: South's Symphonic Band is one of if not the best high school bands in Missouri.

Posted April 7, 2011

this is an excellent, well funded school. which makes a HUGE difference in the level of education. I'm so impressed with this school as well as the fact that it is a respected school in our community.

Posted January 23, 2011

i went to this school last year and i hated it! i needed some extra tutoring or a class to help me out since i was so far behind. the counselor told me they had no classes like that for me because i was not a freshman. i felt very out of place there and the other students could be very harsh. i felt like the teachers were not interested in me because my level was not where all the other students in my class was. if your a student coming to the school in the middle of a year it may be hard on you as for me.

Posted December 7, 2010

I am a freshmen at this school, I am average person, not rich or poor, and this is a great school, The Freshmen Mentoring Program is a great tool for aiding freshmen such as myself, the teachers are attentive, interactive, and, assisting to all of their students. Cliques are no worse than friends talking in the hallways. Upper class men don't i repeat DON'T harass lower class men. Race issues are limited to what I have seen so far. Some fights have broken out but nothing on even a monthly basis.

Posted December 1, 2010

I think this is the BEST school my child has been to. I see nothing but care and concern for the kids here. There is a lot of pride at this school too. I will struggle to keep my child in this school.

Posted March 29, 2010

I was a student at PHS, and I loved it. I was a freshman. I say, that' the best school ever. I'm mad I have to move. PHS ATW!!!!!!

Posted March 29, 2010

My kid loves it there, and I love the school also!

Posted November 12, 2008

I'm a sophomore at South and I love it. Yeah, there are cliques, but there are cliques everywhere. The school may not provide tutoring for families with less money than average, but there are other places. Teachers here are amazing about letting kids come in before or after school or during tutorial. The classes are a challenge, the extracurriculars are fun, and if you want to be left out, you have to make a grand attempt. Go Panthers! :]

Posted April 3, 2008

Park Hill South is an excellent school where the faculty and student body are both great. Compared to our rival school, the faculty and teachers are more up to par at South than they are at Park Hill, especially in the areas of Language Arts and Math. When I came to South at the end of my freshman year, I couldn't believe the differences the two high schools had. I am very thankful that I switched schools and would recommend this school as a true representation of the the calibre that the Park Hill District has made for itself.

Posted April 1, 2008

As a senior, I love this school because it is unique. I have traveled around and I have even been to Park Hill High and I will say that PHS is so much better!

Posted April 1, 2008

I believe the school provides a good enviroment for the students and ample opportunity for us to learn and grow as individuals, but the administration and teachers need to get on the same track. Meaning even the teachers have expressed issues with choices that the admistration as made and for the students to hear that is never good. I am not saying that the teachers should stop expressing their opionons; I'm saying the administration should start listening to them. Also i think that the leaders of the school are WAY to concerned with being 'politically correct' and this henders the students chance of having a good experience at South. II understand its neccesary to be cautious as an administrator about the things you allow but I also think that Souths students shouldn't be pushed to be 'politically correct' themselves. We are all different and ALL should be encouraged to show that.

Posted October 15, 2007

We have found PHS to be a superb school. Our student has academic and behavioral challenges, and the faculty/staff/administration have been wonderful in dealing with him...and with us. They won't stop offering options for him (tutoring, learning labs, etc.) until he passes and succeeds. We are a middle-income family and have found little racism, elitism or snobbism. We've been military and have moved frequently. This has been the best experience for our son so far.

Posted September 12, 2007

Seems like a great school from the parents point of view! I plan on being there next year...I hope that the good works comtinue!

Posted May 24, 2006

Tutoring is available to all students. There is an Freshman Mentor Program to help every student. The security is strict, but it serves its purpose so there isn t any security mistakes. It doesn t matter how much money you make it s a public school.

Posted December 3, 2005

The teachers at Park Hill South are of the best quality. We have had nothing but success since coming to South. South offers clubs and athletics to any person wishing to join and the staff and faculty are very helpful. There is a no failure policy at South and the staff does everything possible to make sure that all of the students leave with their diploma or GED.

Posted May 20, 2005

This school has from the very rich to the very poor. The cliques are extreme. The race issue is heated. They offer no help for the poorer students as far as tutoring. The facility is difficult to enter and picking up and dropping students is a pretty good hike. We did not have a good experience at this school. Unless you live in a million dollar house, and your teen drives a porsche, your student will probably have a bad experience.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

316 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

387 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

405 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

All Students79%
White83%
Free or reduced-price lunch64%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4500 NW River Park Dr