Bad
Good

Posted April 27, 2014
As a new resident in the Smithville boundaries, I have found the educational staff to be student centered and passionate about what they do. In addition, the principals have a personal connection with the students and parents, making the environment very team oriented.

Smithville High School 4

Posted April 27, 2014
I am a new student to Smithville High. I think this school is pretty good. Most of the teachers really care about how the students perform. There are always opportunities for students who struggle to attend study sessions provided by teachers. The sessions are provided by the teachers on their personal time. They don't get paid for it, they do it because they care. The principal is friendly to the students and he is out in the building instead of hiding in his office.

Smithville High School 2

Posted September 14, 2011
Let me preface my review by saying there are always exceptions to the rule. The english department is phenominal and AP math is solid. There is a rampant alcohol and drug problem that both parents and teachers sweep under the rug and write off as "kids being kids". My problem with this school is mostly due to its social environment and I really dont know how much the teachers and administration can do. It starts at home but I would not expose my kids to this kind of toxic environment again. Parent involvement is very low, especially in regards to academics. The special services department is a joke. Their idea of intervening in the student's education is to give the struggling student the answers and not actually help them understand concepts or to complete the work themselves.There are definitely better schools in the area.

Posted May 26, 2010
I honestly do not understand the negative reviews on this site! We moved here from North Kansas City school district in 05', and it has been such a positive experience for our daughter! The teachers,principal, and office staff have been just wonderful. Whenever we had any questions or concerns they were addressed immediately. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; but I believe at times people tend to dwell on the negative rather then focus on the positive. Maybe that is just human nature!

Posted May 13, 2009
Moved to Smithville from NKC school district and we have been very pleased. Our daughter's teachers have been wonderful! Open lines of communication between student and teacher, and teacher/parents. School was very supportive towards our daughter during her father's deployment to Iraq!

Smithville High School 4

Posted May 04, 2009
Smithville High School is not a bad place at all. Granted, it is pretty political, the administration will still listen to your opinions and consider them. A few months ago, I went in front of the school board in consideration for the cutting of upper level art classes. Do you know what they did? They hired a second art teacher to teach half time, so we could have some advanced art classes. I am very proud to say that I currently attend this school, and will miss it terribly when I move in a month. And to say that the principal is lazy is riddiculous. He is a very good principal, and he will be missed. I don't think I will ever meet another principal who will ever get as in-touch with the students.

Smithville High School 1

Posted April 08, 2009
I agree that this is very political school. Teachers are horrible and the principal does nothing to correct their lazy behavior.

Smithville High School

Posted August 08, 2008
Smithville High School is the worst school that I have ever dealt with. The principal is imcompetent and disorganized and the front office staff is very unprofessional. I pulled my children out of that district because of all the negativity. Itis a very politically based district and it is obvious that their priorities are not in order.

Smithville High School 3

Posted May 29, 2007
The program is good but to the students it is all competition. It does not help the learning environment. Also the school cares more about its faculty than it's own students... I've had to go in many times trying to get it fixed but they don't care.

Posted February 23, 2004
One of the best principals and administration I have ever seen. They get to know the kids before they get to high school, and it shows.

Smithville High School
645 South Commercial Ave, Smithville, MO  64089
Last modified Smithville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.