Hickory Hills Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 455 students

Posted May 15, 2013

For the most part, my kids have had good experiences here. However, I must say that when my normally conscientious daughter started slacking a bit in eighth grade, there was little support from the teachers. As a teacher, I know how important we think parental involvement is, however, when I asked for an update on my student only 3 out of 7 teachers responded, and only one of them was a core teacher. I hope to move before my next child is in middle school.

Posted February 5, 2013

My child has attended this school since the middle of 6th grade. The teachers are extreemly rude! Their lack of interest in teaching the subjects is going to leave these students struggling in HS! They give out papers to complete & tell them to figure it out by themselves & get mad if the children ask for help. I have a straight A student who has been on the honor roll every semester! We have been in sports now and found the coaches to be very lacking! They choose kids who have been in club sports and that is who they favor and coach. The rest are viewed as a distraction from the elite. The coaches are allowed to scream at the kids and belittle them in front of each other! It's crazy! We are leaving the school to go to a better school in a different district! This one is a pathetic school and the principal is no more than a "pretty face" at the school. He will tell you to your face what he feels you want to hear and then do nothing about the situation you've expressed concern in. Amazing!! The school video tapes the students, yet the parents are not allowed to see the videos!

Posted November 1, 2012

I like HH and my child likes it as well. I feel my child is valued by 95% of the staff and my communication and input is always welcomed. I respect the principal and have never felt that my child was less important than another! I recommend this school and have found that most of my child's teachers have been motivating, concerned and involved! LOVE the location and area as well...ALSO my child's bus driver is caring and concerned!

Posted June 30, 2012

HHMS is one of the worse Middle Schools in Springfield If not the worse , The principal Should be fired he does NOTHING , He is more concerned in his appearance and rubbing shoulders with the rich parents , Then the kids or there education , If your child plays sports DO NOT send them to HH , Both PE teachers , Cooper and Castillo are Coaches And what a joke either one couldnt coach a flea , Most of the teachers are there to collect a paycheck PERIOD , IT should give you a glue when they can not keep a asst principal more then one year , That is a HUGE red flag right there , My oldest went to HHMS my youngest will not even if I have to drive him across town , To another middle school , IT is a Horrible School ,

Posted June 30, 2012

I am a former student of HHMS (I graduated about four years ago) and can say with absolute sincerity that I feel it was the worst educational experience I've ever had. I attended Pittman Elementary School and had nearly straight As every year, as well as nearly perfect attendance. I didn't "like school" per se but I definitely didn't hate it, either. That all changed at Hickory. Other than 6th grade, I was stuck with mediocre teachers who didn't express genuine interest in me as a student or make much of an effort to make their material interesting. I was bullied with nearly no response by the administration and teachers despite it being quite evidence. The school did very poorly with contact, at least at the time, and my mother was unable to get much information about the classes beyond the intro days. i was also required to take Art despite having zero interest and being very poor at it, and was graded on performance. I can go on and on, but I'd really advise against sending your kid here. I went to HS in a different state and graduated in the top 10% of a 650 kid class and will be getting 45K a year in scholarships/aid from a top 50 school. I was getting Cs and Ds at Hickory.

Posted November 6, 2009

This school has been my childrens home for over 12 yrs from my eldest that is graduating this year from GH to my youngest that is in second grade. What can I say. It's just fabulous. SO: help out our fab school by entering a contest for HH to win $20,000 http://www.care2.com/schoolcontest/2901887

Posted October 27, 2007

Every time I have tried to get hold of a teacher they have always returned my phone call or my e-mail. E-mail is great. I know they are busy with 150+ kids so you do have to initiate contact but they always respond.

Posted November 5, 2006

I think that this school relly needs some improvement it what we offer. Being a student i think that we should have more activities that students (including 6th graders) can particiclpate in such as a drama club and things like that!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 19, 2006

To Whom It Concerns, For the most part I think Hickory Hills School is a good school. Sometimes I find it hard as a single mother to keep up with the kids grades There are however some really awesome teachers at the school that are definitely a blessing to have the football coach is wonderful. The music teacher is alot better than the old one. Alot of the communication is up to me I know but it is hard to do when you work all the time and by yourself try to keep the kids in sports and grades up. The online thing is great I really like it and I am learning to make time for this online communication with the school.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted May 27, 2005

I think this school is wonderful. The teachers are very experienced and great to work with. My child has had a great time at Hickory Hills. I feel my child is well prepared for High School.

Posted March 28, 2004

This is the first year my son has been to this school, he is in 6th grade and is in special ed, he is dislexic. It is important to keep in touch with teachers due to this and for some reason it is not that easy at thids school. Although it is not a lot of one on one, which I would like( I gues we all would).I also would like more parent teacher interaction, which I don't feel like I have had this year. Trying to get in touch with a teacher or principal is really hard and getting them to return your call is even worse.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 48% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 56% in 2014.

167 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

168 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 51% in 2014.

144 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 44% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2014.

144 students were tested at this school in 2014.

All Students42%

Free or reduced-price lunch25%
Students with disabilities18%
Limited English proficient students30%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students56%

White51%
Free or reduced-price lunch26%
Limited English proficient students0%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 55% in 2014.

28 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/A45%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Vocal lessons / coaching

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3429 East Trafficway