Springfield, MO
Students enrolled: 1,735

Kickapoo High School
Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 20, 2015
Kickapoo is a wonderful school if you have a bright child who excels in academics. If you're like me, a little slow, it's a nightmare. The teachers ignore you or huff at having to put any effort into you, like I was slowing down the class. The kids learn to hate slower students as well. They do have vocational training, but they put so much emphasis on college for doctors and lawyers that many kids who would benefit from vocational school feel like they're less. I guess getting away from Kickapoo teachers for half of the day might save their mental health though. Like I said, if you have a bright child Kickapoo is for you. If not, find somewhere else or take advantage of the vocational skills and tell those teachers they didn't earn their $25 per student, so they can huff off on glue or something.

Kickapoo High School 5

Posted September 06, 2013
My kids feel successful and love their teachers. Kickapoo has so many wonderful clubs and activities!

Kickapoo High School 4

Posted July 03, 2013
Kickapoo is great i feel as if i am really going to be prepared for college. Kickapoo teachers are pretty great and really caring for the kids, any time i have a problem with something i have only ever had 2 teachers tell me that they cant help me. The administrative is great and there is not a lot of violence in my 3 years here so far i have only ever heard of 2 fights breaking out and drugs every school has them you just got to stay away from them. Kickapoo offers a lot for their students but it is very sport based and i dont care for that to much. But if you are looking for a school that will challenge your student Kickapoo is the place to be

Kickapoo High School 3

Posted June 30, 2013
Overall I feel this school is very good. Most of the instructors my two daughters have had have been very good. The counselors on the other hand are worthless, and seem more like over-glorified secretaries than counselors. Trying to get a schedule change is like pulling teeth. We had to contact the Superintendent of schools to actually get one of our daughters classes changed, and the Governor of Missouri and complain to get our other daughters class changed....ridiculous! Student ratio to teachers is horrible with up to 35 students per 1 instructor. Kickapoo is very sports minded, and these students receive special treatment. All schools has problems with drugs, however Kickapoo doesn't have a huge problem. The school police officers are very nice, and accessible. They have a hotline to report anonymously. Overall your child will get a decent education, however those who are struggling already are going to have a hard time due to overcrowding!

Posted March 02, 2013
Kickapoo is not very good about following IEP my child slipped through the cracks and her IEP was ignored by nearly all her teachers, when she started to fall behind, they acted like it was all my problem when I turned them in for not following the plan, and they were spoken to about it, they were very bothered by us, but just gave her grades to move her on. I have never been treated so rudely with administration as we have been here, in Florida and Oklahoma they were exceptionally accommodating, and we flourished, her last few years here made it next to impossible for her to transition in Community College..I blame the poor administration at Kickapoo..I fought for her weekly till she graduated I was very involved.

Kickapoo High School 5

Posted March 06, 2012
We love Kickapoo. We recently moved here and found this school to be an excellent choice for our children academically and in athletics. What a great school!

Kickapoo High School 2

Posted November 16, 2011
We recently moved to this area and my child began their sophomore year at Kickapoo in late Oct. Most activities were not open as we learned that you MUST take certian classes to participate in clubs and activities which was not the case for our old High School. My child found the school extrememly unwelcoming from a student stand point but the teachers have been excellent. If I could do this decision over, I would NOT choose Kickapoo simply from a social aspect of bullying and nasty behavior from students shich seems to be well known thoughout the community.

Posted December 23, 2010
Despite having taken a "challenging" course load riddled with AP classes and graduating salutatorian, I was demolished my first semester of college (Northwestern) because most of my AP teachers at Kickapoo haven't gone over the materials well enough. Instead of actually absorbing new materials in college, I wasted most of my time re-learning my AP courses. In addition to the abysmal academics, the student body lacks diversity, and the sports are mediocre at best. The kids at Kickapoo were very bland at best. Most of the student body consisted of semi-decent wannabe athletes who spent most of their time sincerely believing that they could actually empathize with the afro-centric culture of hip hop, and they all came fortified with this undeserved sense of superiority, despite the mediocrity. Also, compared to the kids who play sports here in the coast, I've come to the realization that Kickapoo athletics is a joke.

Kickapoo High School 3

Posted November 11, 2010
This school is FULL of drugs. All schools have drug issues, but this one is exceptional. Check out the incident reports on the News Leader web site -- you will be astounded. We've had some very good teachers and some very bad teachers. For a go-getter of a student, I am sure Kickapoo has plenty to offer. However, a student who struggles academically or socially hasn't a chance here. Activities are geared toward winning and being elite rather than encouraging and teaching so make sure your student is already good at whatever he or she wants to do before trying to join anything. Sad. One bright spot was the school counselor.

Posted May 23, 2010
The experience we personally had was my daughter who was a Honor Roll student prior to Kickapoo was dropped seriously here. My daughter was on a 504 plan, due to a serious "Brain injury".None of the teachers wanted to implement the plan or follow it, when I requested a meeting we were treated very rudely.And the special education coordinator seem to be upset we were wasting her time.So due to the refusal of the school to give her what she needed, my daughter paid the price with her grades..I am very bitter about the whole experience (never has any school district given us so much grief) we have been in several and they were all exceptional and understanding until we moved to this school dist in Springfield,Mo. What really makes me sad is my daughter took the initiative to speak to her teachers, on her own behalf and they were unaccommodating!

Kickapoo High School
3710 South Jefferson, Springfield, MO  65807
Last modified Kickapoo High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kickapoo High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top