Posted August 19, 2014
I have two elementary students at Greenwood, one started Kindergarten last year and one came from another school and started 2nd grade last year. I wanted to first address some of the discontent expressed by some parents with the "bullying" and "high donor" mentality. I want to say that neither me nor my kids have experienced anything of the sort. We are not high donors, we pay the tuition and that's about it. I have never seen any partiality given to students or parents with money. What I have seen are parents that are involved in their children's lives, trying to get the most out of their education because they are paying for it. Even though my now 3rd grader was new to the school last year, he has fit into his class well and has multiple close friends. I've taught my daughter to try to do at least one nice thing a day help the new kids and play with them, being sensitive to the fact that they are new and scared to be at a school where they do not know anyone. I think it does depend on the class and the dynamics of each class is different. The academics are top-notch though and both my kids are excelling 1-3 grades above their grade levels in both reading and math.

Posted June 15, 2014
We started at Greenwood last year for Kindergarten. We could not be more pleased with what our child learned this past year. If education is a priority in the life of your child and family, look no further than Greenwood. It is amazing how the Kindergarten class at Greenwood is so advanced. They focus on the needs of each child and do not try keep all the kids at the same pace. They have homework starting in Kindergarten, but it teaches time management. The incoming 1st grade was already doing 1st grade and some 2nd grade math, reading, and science in Kindergarten. The kids were so eager to learn, that the teacher had to come up with new lesson plans way beyond the Kindergarten curriculum to accommodate the students! The school is diverse in cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and we think it is great. This is how the real world is and teaching a child otherwise is doing them an injustice. The school is small and feels like a community. It is great to see the older kids helping the younger. They are supported by the University and there are a lot of available resources to them.. If you are choosing to pay for private school, Greenwood is hands down the best in Springfield.

Posted May 23, 2014
I have two daughters attending Greenwood. I believe it was the best decision we could have made for our children's education. A product of public schools, I enrolled my children somewhat skeptically. Since my first daughter began Kindergarten, I never regretted the decision. Students are encouraged to develop a passion for learning from the beginning. At Greenwood, it's "cool" to try hard and get good grades. Academics are extremely challenging. Homework begins at a young age, but the education is first-rate. My daughters have different learning styles and interests, yet they are always encouraged and supported to learn from their teachers. We have been satisfied with every teacher. Are there ever problems with students and bullying? Yes. Is it dealt with by the school? Yes!! Size is a positive; it is big enough to have extracurricular activities, yet small enough to know everyone and be involved in many things. I love that it is strong in math and science, yet emphasizes public speaking and community involvement. It creates well-rounded students, prepared for college. Ave test scores are high and college preparedness is outstanding. It's 100+ years in existence is reassuring.

Posted May 15, 2014
My son will start 2nd grade next year. Attending Greenwood is the best decision we could have ever made. Because of the caring friendships, his amazing first grade teacher and the school's emphasis on public speaking, my son has transformed from an incredibly shy child to being able to give a speech, with a microphone, to a lunch room full or parents and grandparents. Many reviews will mention that Greenwood is a family and that is true. When there is a class party, everyone shows up to support the kids. This also includes grandparents! The PTA has 100% parental participation and the parental engagement is amazing. In 2013 the PTA decided to replace the outdated playground equipment and installed a state of the art playground in less than 6 months that's completely debt-free. Greenwood has a lot of diversity which really surprised us. There is diversity in both income and ethnicity. My son is curious about the world and wants to learn Chinese because several of his classmates are from China. I can't say enough good things about the school and encourage anyone to speak with a parent of a currently enrolled student. Students at Greenwood learn valuable study skills.

Posted April 15, 2014
Greenwood is a great college prep school and we wish we had started our children there in kindergarten. I don t normally write reviews but I strongly disagree with some of the facts stated in previous reviews. As a parent who sacrifices to send my children there & have been pleased with their academic success, I must address these remarks. Our children transferred in, were accepted & made friends easily. We became involved in class activities and PTA. Parents are great to work with and appreciative of others willing to help. Faculty all have their masters. Greenwood graduates consistently go to some of the top schools in the nation like Stanford, Duke, Wash U, Wake Forrest, Vanderbilt & Cornell. Last year s class of 36 all attended universities - Air Force Academy, Emory, Parsons School of Design, Missouri S&T to name a few. We haven t seen faculty show any preference for students that come from wealthy families. There is a diverse range of economic backgrounds, which is not what we had heard before we came. It s the best family decision we ve ever made. ANYONE can write a negative review but if you want the real story, you need set up a visit and see the school for yourself.

Greenwood Laboratory School 2

Posted April 14, 2014
Greenwood has the allure of being a good school, but it is not. I have had children there and while the academics are good in certain grades, it is horrible in others. They speak of being the Greenwood Family , but there is nothing family about it. The administration is aloof and cold, even the secretaries can t manage a smile to most of the parents. Forget about the kids being inviting to new children in a class. They are taught to favor those that have attended since kindergarten. The parents are cold and more cliquish than the kids could ever be! Favorites are played by the administration and just hope your kids manage to stay with the in crowd, but with such a small school, they will live with the popularity or isolation indefinitely! If Greenwood prepares kids for great secondary schools, then why did all of last year s graduates go to such uninspiring colleges? There was not a single elite school from last year s senior class! I liked some aspects of Greenwood, but save your child the emotional rollercoaster that comes from such a dysfunctional school! No care is given to bullying and the PTA is NOT inviting to new or newer parents at all, nor is it encouraged!

Posted April 12, 2014
Greenwood is a small close knit family. It is k-12. The families that attend Greenwood are diverse from all over the Ozarks. Masters prepared teachers, hands on learning, wonderful parent participation. It moves at a little faster pace and encourages students to excel and take on challenges. The students are challenged to do public speaking, create inventions, robots, cell and space models, art projects, famous American, and Scientist presentations, power point and research papers at an early age. Special classes start in K-Spanish, music, art, computers, library,and wellness. Band-4th-12. If students are excelling in a subject they can move up to a higher class. There is a new state of the art Science wing with science lab starting in elem. Opportunities for everyone. Clubs, sports (track, soccer, basketball, tennis and golf-starting in Jr.High.) Elem-BB and soccer camps, middle school soccer (parent ran), girls on the run, drama club, science Olympiad, spelling bees,fun summer classes, etc. Events-Halloween parade, parties, field day, music program, field trips, fun fair, book fair, etc. Mentoring- starts early-reading buddies. Well rounded, excellent education at Greenwood.

Greenwood Laboratory School 1

Posted April 11, 2014
Our experience with this school was disappointing. We had one fabulous teacher in three years. The other two were just average. The biggest problem with this school are the bullies. The children learn from a very early age that rules only apply to some. If your parents are large donors to the school, the rules do not apply. What a terrible lesson to teach children. Parents run the school with their pocket books, so if you send you child to this school, consider the tuition the minimum you should plan on spending.

Posted April 06, 2014
Greenwood is a wonderful school. Period. Greenwood's biggest strengths are its faculty and parents. Every elementary teacher for 2 children and 7 years has been fantastic. There is truly a family atmosphere at Greenwood that is fostered by the parents and faculty. Our children are getting an incredible education in a progressive environment with some of the latest technology and updated facilities. Children leaving Greenwood are much more prepared for the rigors of College according to several close faculty at 2 different Universities. I love Greenwood and so do my children.

Posted April 06, 2014
Greenwood provides a wonderful education. The class sizes are small, the teachers are very experienced and are masters prepared. We have been happy with the hands on learning and public speaking experience they have received. The new science wing is wonderful, state of the art. There are many opportunities at Greenwood such as- Band, soccer, track, tennis, golf, basketball, clubs, science Olympiad, Art, spanish (k-12), french, music, computers, etc. The teachers and parents are very supportive. There are many fun things at Greenwood also such as the Halloween parade, Winter music program, Band concerts, Fun Fair, Fall Dance for elementary, etc. It is an affordable option for an excellent education.

Greenwood Laboratory School
1024 E Harrison St, Springfield, MO  65897
Last modified Greenwood Laboratory School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Greenwood Laboratory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top