Bad
Good

This is my child's first year at Buder. There's also been a complete overhaul of the administration at the school this year. So far, I am pleased. His teachers have been easy to contact and work with. Ms. Flores, the new principal, is absolutely amazing. I AM an involved parent who is pleased to see the new admin is working VERY hard to turn the atmosphere around, making it a positive one. The new family and community specialist, Ms. Gaskin, is absolutely AMAZING! She's done an awesome job of getting more parents involved, putting family nights together, and facilitating the formation of a PTO! I have 2 complaints: 1) it would be absolutely great if the teachers could post assignments, class news, upcoming class events, etc on the school's website for easy access. 2) the teachers are forced to use the district printing department (downtown) and are not getting their prints back in a timely manner. There's absolutely nothing they can do about it and it's in NO way their fault. The district needs to correct this problem.

I have seen may bad reviews for Buder which had me quite worried when I was told that is where my son would be attending preschool, as it was the closest to our home that offered special education. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE I received when his teacher called me to introduce herself before school started. I was able to take him to school and watch a lot of the interaction between teachers and students throughout the day, as well as the administrative and nursing staff. I saw a lot of dedicated people who really care for the children they teach and make time to work with every one of them. She also called me to let me know how Aiden's first few days went and ease my worries as to his adapting to their unique class setting. Chris Russo is an amazing teacher and I feel very fortunate to have her as my son's teacher. We had some really bad issues with First Student Bus lines in the beginning , but with help from the staff at Buder- including the Nurse and some of St Louis School district's much overworked and under appreciated staff we are back on track. They went above and beyond.

A school is a reflection of their leader. When I entered the school to meet my child and met the principal in the hall she refused to even make eye contact with me. This has happened several times. She is totally not engaged with the parents and the students at the school. This is reflected in total morale of the school. Activities are not well attended as a result of not informing the parents in a timely manner. I understand that they made AYP but it was only because of students being coached while being tested. There are some good teachers but the leader does not recognize anyone but herself.

I think that it is a shame how only dissatisfied parents take the time to write a review. I think Buder is an excellent school. They made AYP last year!!! and have many activities. I am going to start a campaign to get the satisfied parents to take the time to write a review so the rating more reflects the qualities of the school.

I also think almost all the teachers are rude and sarcastic to the students and the parents. If you don't like children, don't be a teacher or a principal! They are also unorganized. They lose money, homework, permission slips, etc. My son was also sick two days and was told the nurse wasn't there on both occasions. I'm not sure they even have a nurse. I hope the principal resigns before next year, or else I'll have to send my son to Catholic school.

Teachers and staff are sarcastic, rude and unprofessional to students, parents, and relatives. Staff members refuse to return phone calls. Profanity is scratched into the bathroom walls. There is no play ground equipment, and 'recess' a time for children to run around on a black top slab with nothing to do. Assignments to students are generic and sub par, possibly just pre-made assignments meant for younger children and downloaded off the Internet. No one is ever available to speak with, no matter the time of day you call. My fiance & I called collectively 10 times, with no response. Emergency contact documentation was lost 3 times over the course of 6 months, despite personally handing it to the office. My son had a 103 degree fever, but his mother and I were never contacted. This is 'school' is nothing more than a glorified daycare.

Buder has great potential, however the teachers tend to be very rude and sarcastic to the kids which in turn lowers the students confidence, making it difficult to learn. Some teachers are down right mean! I make it a point to be at school everyday just to make sure my kids are not being verbally abused. In my opinion teachers should be nurturing and supportive, this is not the case at Buder. If it weren't for my boys having adequate teachers this year, we would be gone. Unfortunately I think all St. Louis public schools are like this, I've checked them out.

Last modified Buder Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.