Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 17, 2011

I am alumni, class of 1979, I was there the day they opened the doors to VAP as it was not called cvpa at that time. I enjoyed every moment there. Mr. Wilde, Principal and Mr. Overby, vice-principal were true leaders in our school. They were there for most every event held, including PTO. Ms. McGahn, Ms. Brennan, Mr. Toretta and the list goes on were all great teachers. I will cherish my days there forever.

Posted November 28, 2010

I graduate 2010. I transfer to central my sophomore year from a private school. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! The academic is horrible, students behavior is horrible, and the teachers are awful. For a school that is base on art, the art department even sucked. Most of my classmates had no artistic talents. Some of my friends said that you had to audition to get in but I didn't have to. I just applied. My brother did to and he doesn't take any art classes. Most are there because they didn't want to go to Roosevelt high. Most of the students at Central don't want to learn so they tend to disrupt the class and every two weeks or so there's a fight. And the most annoying thing is that somebody always pulls the fire alarm as a joke and it's on for most of the class period. It's just an awful environment to learn in. Central puts you in a lazy state of mind. Classes are so easy you don't have to attend to pass and most kids I knew didn't and still pass with a 3.0 GPA. Central does offer AP classes which are harder but there's a very limited amount of AP classes.

Posted August 15, 2010

Central VPA is a wonderful school. The school from day one listens and prepares the student for their goals and desire once they graduate. Their goal is to help the students achieve their life goal. The principal and staff are very approachable. I like the fact I can also sign in on line and see the assignments my child has and review her grades on a weekly basis. The classroom sizes are wonderful! I do wish we had more parent involvment.

Posted January 28, 2010

Central was in desperate need of professional leadership. The new principal, Amy Phillips, has completely overhauled everything from discipline to attendance to academics. Expectations are high and students have risen to the occasion. Amy Phillips has a fantastic rapport with both students and staff and is truely treasured by parents who were overwhelmingly longing for this change. A+! Check it out!

Posted December 4, 2009

i am a student at CVPA, and since Amy phillips has become the new princapal, the school has really shaped up. No one hardly skips anymore, they have people tracking attendance, and the arts programs are really excelling. I would not recomend the school for academics....

Posted October 20, 2009

Central has helped open my grandson`s eyes to many talents he had not realized he had.

Posted December 15, 2008

I graduated from cvpa a few years ago and i loved the school unfortunately after my first 2 years my art majors ceramics and metalsmithing which i was flourishing in and considered to be my future careers and college majors were dropped due to teachers leaving and were not picked up again due to insufficient funds i believe i agree with the comment below me about not believing the head principle to be as good as hes made out to be but i will rave about Mr.Anthony who was an amazing vice principle and could have run that school amazing he addresses issues to help students and was always really well respected. If your student prospers in dance or photography this is the school for them they will succeed, and its in a good neighborhood now which is a reat plus!

Posted October 17, 2008

Great school for talented students. Most of the teachers and staff are musicians and artists themselves.

Posted December 14, 2007

Central Visual and Performing Arts High School is the best choice to become successful in life. The academics are great if you want to learn and the arts are wonderful.

Posted January 17, 2007

Our child attended CVPA for 1 1/2 years. The teachers are wonderful, yet lack administrative support from the head principal. Lack of support resulted in disruptive behavior in and out of the classroom. When visiting the school on different occasions over the last 1 1/2 years the head principal was only in attendance once. He did not attend Parent/Teacher Association meetings either when we were present. The assistant principles were the ones who worked.

Posted October 9, 2006

Central Visual and Performing Arts High School is the best school of the Arts in the Midwest. I am an Alumni of this school, so I would know. Students can learn alot education and goal wise, if they put their best foot forward and there is plenty of opportunity for greatness as long as we the parents do not limit our children. Overlook the minor flaws of some of the teachers. My daughter is a dance major, she loves it. She also minors in Glee Club. It is my belief that she will go far in these areas. The programs at this school are excellent but choose wisely according to your interests or abilities. Parent involvement is a must and rewarding. I give my child the boosts that she needs to suceed. CVPA is all about what you make it. Highly Recommended!

Posted February 28, 2006

Central VPA has been 4 years of fantastic! The classes are relatively small, most teachers care, and the kids are talented, gifted, and to say the least, unique! Besides a talent for photography, my child has developed a love of writing, literature & history! Her ACT scores are above average and she has been accepted into the college of her choice! Not all kids are cut out for a visual & performing arts school, for us is was a great fit.

Posted January 17, 2006

I think it is not a good environment for my child or any child that has goals of becoming successful in life.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

All Students13%
Black8%
Free or reduced-price lunch9%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

• Dr. Amy Phillips
Fax number
  • (314) 771-0135

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3125 South Kingshwy Blvd