Bad
Good

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 5

Posted July 17, 2011
I am alumni, class of 1979, I was there the day they opened the doors to VAP as it was not called cvpa at that time. I enjoyed every moment there. Mr. Wilde, Principal and Mr. Overby, vice-principal were true leaders in our school. They were there for most every event held, including PTO. Ms. McGahn, Ms. Brennan, Mr. Toretta and the list goes on were all great teachers. I will cherish my days there forever.

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 2

Posted November 28, 2010
I graduate 2010. I transfer to central my sophomore year from a private school. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! The academic is horrible, students behavior is horrible, and the teachers are awful. For a school that is base on art, the art department even sucked. Most of my classmates had no artistic talents. Some of my friends said that you had to audition to get in but I didn't have to. I just applied. My brother did to and he doesn't take any art classes. Most are there because they didn't want to go to Roosevelt high. Most of the students at Central don't want to learn so they tend to disrupt the class and every two weeks or so there's a fight. And the most annoying thing is that somebody always pulls the fire alarm as a joke and it's on for most of the class period. It's just an awful environment to learn in. Central puts you in a lazy state of mind. Classes are so easy you don't have to attend to pass and most kids I knew didn't and still pass with a 3.0 GPA. Central does offer AP classes which are harder but there's a very limited amount of AP classes.

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 4

Posted August 15, 2010
Central VPA is a wonderful school. The school from day one listens and prepares the student for their goals and desire once they graduate. Their goal is to help the students achieve their life goal. The principal and staff are very approachable. I like the fact I can also sign in on line and see the assignments my child has and review her grades on a weekly basis. The classroom sizes are wonderful! I do wish we had more parent involvment.

Posted January 28, 2010
Central was in desperate need of professional leadership. The new principal, Amy Phillips, has completely overhauled everything from discipline to attendance to academics. Expectations are high and students have risen to the occasion. Amy Phillips has a fantastic rapport with both students and staff and is truely treasured by parents who were overwhelmingly longing for this change. A+! Check it out!

Posted December 04, 2009
i am a student at CVPA, and since Amy phillips has become the new princapal, the school has really shaped up. No one hardly skips anymore, they have people tracking attendance, and the arts programs are really excelling. I would not recomend the school for academics....

Posted October 20, 2009
Central has helped open my grandson`s eyes to many talents he had not realized he had.

Posted December 15, 2008
I graduated from cvpa a few years ago and i loved the school unfortunately after my first 2 years my art majors ceramics and metalsmithing which i was flourishing in and considered to be my future careers and college majors were dropped due to teachers leaving and were not picked up again due to insufficient funds i believe i agree with the comment below me about not believing the head principle to be as good as hes made out to be but i will rave about Mr.Anthony who was an amazing vice principle and could have run that school amazing he addresses issues to help students and was always really well respected. If your student prospers in dance or photography this is the school for them they will succeed, and its in a good neighborhood now which is a reat plus!

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 5

Posted October 17, 2008
Great school for talented students. Most of the teachers and staff are musicians and artists themselves.

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 4

Posted December 14, 2007
Central Visual and Performing Arts High School is the best choice to become successful in life. The academics are great if you want to learn and the arts are wonderful.

Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School 1

Posted January 17, 2007
Our child attended CVPA for 1 1/2 years. The teachers are wonderful, yet lack administrative support from the head principal. Lack of support resulted in disruptive behavior in and out of the classroom. When visiting the school on different occasions over the last 1 1/2 years the head principal was only in attendance once. He did not attend Parent/Teacher Association meetings either when we were present. The assistant principles were the ones who worked.

3125 South Kingshwy Blvd, St Louis, MO  63139
Last modified Central Visual/Perf. Arts High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.