Posted April 02, 2014
Overall, Avery is a great school. It is a warm and welcoming environment. Parents, administrators and teachers are active and collaborative. Until recently, my family was extremely happy with our experience. This year, however, we have been disappointed in the way our child s recently diagnosed learning disability has been handled. What started out feeling like a collaborative effort based on genuine concern for our child now feels cold and adversarial. There seems to be a lack of understanding of the complexity of our child s particular situation. We now feel intolerance and frustration from certain staff members more than support as we work to get our child the necessary therapy outside of school. It has left our child anxious and miserable in the classroom. We hope we will again love the school, but it s probably going to take a fresh start in the fall to get there.

Posted May 28, 2013
We have been at this school for 5 years, and find it perfect for our children. The teachers are easy to talk to, and make the best learning environment for each student. My daughter has a high IQ, but slower processing speed, and all of the teachers have made sure to create an environment where she can learn at her best. When she was going through vision therapy for double vision, the teachers similarly made sure the environment worked for her vision needs. This last year at Avery has been the best so far. I have seen my daughter grow tremendously, and learn so many skills that will help her in higher education, such as public speaking and organizational methods necessary for successful research. Both of my kids love school and they love learning. Although the school is very full, the classrooms typically have 19 kids in each room (last year my son had 14 in his room). The school is full of very loving and caring teachers and staff. The new principal that started the fall of 2012 has been great, too.

Posted October 20, 2011
Avery is a fantastic school community that is unfortunately suffering due to the fact that the Webster Groves School District has allowed its school population to balloon to 520 students, well above it's own "ideal" target of 456. This has caused class sizes to exceed not only district guidelines but state ideals. If the WGSD won't address the size and space issues at Avery, it needs to support learning by giving the very dedicated staff the resources they need to do the job. I really want to give my children an above average school experience but right now Avery just is not making the grade in my book.

Posted June 19, 2011
I attended this school from K to 6th grade starting in 1943 Looking back at the experience I believe that they did a great job on all levels.Of course 60 years can make a difference! I know that each day I actually looked forward attending classes. Back then, the hours were 9AM to 3PM and everyone walked to school. Some day I would like to pay a visit and see what changes have been made. Jim Ketchum - Age 73 San Dimas, Californa

Posted June 08, 2010
Avery's an average school with an above average Special Education program. Avery offers a lackluster program for gifted students, and seems unable or unwilling to engage economically disadvantaged students. The student population is ethnically and economically diverse but you would never know that from observing any extra-curricular or after-school event. The teachers are caring and qualified but are frequently absent due to meetings and professional development opportunities scheduled during the school day. It's my impression that the principal is "gaming the system" with an intense focus on MAP testing and professional development in order to earn high scores on certification but with the day-to-day education of students an afterthought. Additionally, WG elementary school students receive no foreign language instruction and a meal plan that features a LOT of junk food but these factors, while frustrating, are obviously not within the principal's control.

Posted May 26, 2010
Avery Elementary teachers and staff focus on the task of teaching children, and do this in a compassionate and thoughtful manner. Avery is a wonderful school and the children who attend are blessed to have such a supportive community.

Posted May 27, 2009
Avery Elementary is a great elementary school. The principal is outstanding as well as the teachers and staff. Parent envolvment is exceptional and the Avery Play featuring parents as actors is a treat for everyone. My daughter has been envolved in the strings program after-school for three years and has progressed to the cello. Can't say enough great things about all this school has to offer!

Posted February 02, 2009

Posted January 16, 2009

Avery Elementary School 0

Posted July 21, 2007
Avery Elementary is a spectacular school due to its well-rounded curriculum and the energy and motivation of its fantastic principal, Dr. Furges. It offers a diverse student body and a focused and energetic teaching staff. There is no better in the St. Louis area.

Avery Elementary School
909 Bompart Ave, St. Louis, MO  63119
Last modified Avery Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Avery Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top