PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

The culture of the school is wonderful--children are encouraged to learn at their own pace, the curriculum is challenging and individualized, the teachers and staff are caring and nurturing, and kindness is a focus of both staff and children. This is a wonderful environment for any child--and one that celebrates diversity and acceptance.

This school has been a haven for my children. My son calls it "fun." My daughter regrets it when she is sick and has to miss art studio. Both children have been consistently learning above grade level and both absolutely love to learn.

Amount of homework: no rating

I'm a parent that prefers no homework at all. That said, any homework feels like too much. When I hear other school say their kindergartens have 45 minutes of homework, I'm appalled. By comparison, St Michael's has perhaps 5 minutes a night at that level.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school emphasizes kindness. When new students arrive from a school that was less than kind, within a few months, they've embraced the kindness model. This approach leads to honesty, integrity and fairness as a fact of promoting kindness.

We fell in love with SMSOC nearly 5 years ago when our first child joined the junior kindergarten program. We love how the school employs the Reggio Emilia approach to foster creative, curious and self-empowered children who simply love to learn! We love how every member of staff, from teachers to administration embody and enact the schools philosphy - it creates a consistent, holistic learning environment that our kids love. Near the end of every holiday break they are asking us when they can go back to school! Thank you St. Michael's!

What an amazing discovery! I hadn't bothered looking at this school because I thought it was Episcopalian and too small. It is not a religious school, and the size is perfectly intimate! My whole family absolutely loves this school. Most days, my daughter cries to stay when I pick her up - how often does that happen?! The size allows an individually-tailored curriculum which clearly fosters confidence. I do not know why this school has a reputation for not being academically rigorous. If you ask any teacher about their curriculum and approach, they all have a very ready answer about why and why it is developmentally appropriate - even if you ask why they have specific free time! Everything is done with student involvement - no such thing as osmosis learning here. They kids are not taught AT, but are part of the process. It makes some people uncomfortable to not see desks and lectures. For me, I feel like I've found my kids' "home."

Outstanding private school. The hidden gem of St. Louis!! Don't be fooled by the name - they do not teach religion. They teach everything you need to succeed in academics and life to children of all belief systems. The teachers are absolutely outstanding. The confidence you see in the students is AMAZING! Love the integrated learning approach. It has a very strong sense of community and committment to the happiness and success of the student and the family.

An incredibly nurturing and creative environment. At the same time, it is extremely rigorous. Teachers are well-trained and committed to the school. We have been VERY happy here.

Last modified The St. Michael School of Clayton is a Private school that serves grades PK-8