Ungraded
St. Louis, MO
Students enrolled: 1,234

Posted December 23, 2014
I am a graduate and have a great amount of pride in MICDS. For co-ed suburban day schools, it should be considered Top 10 in the US. The objective facts bear this out. Opportunities for academic advancement and rigor are exceptional. I recall the school offering more AP courses than any other in the Mid-West. The campus and resources are objectively among the best in the country. Class sizes are the smallest you could want. And, of course, college placement is exceptional, especially for a school in the Mid-West. Specific placements always vary year-to-year with the interests of the students. But MICDS consistently places across all the Ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc. with significant portions of the class. About half of my graduating class went to a Top 25 school either undergrad or grad (10%+ WashU, ~5% Harvard, 10%+ other Ivy). Many friends not near the top of the class still went to a top school. Alumni include 3 US Senators, a Federal Reserve Chairman, numerous Fortune 500 CEOs, movie stars, professional athletes, entrepreneurs, authors, professors, top surgeons, Navy SEALs. MICDS is exceptional and perfect for the student and family seeking that.

Micds 4

Posted May 26, 2014
Great school with plenty of support and willingness to work with you. Just to correct, "Quick comments" is an additional way to communicate - the vast majority of what we see are positive and give a useful pulse of how our children our doing. To "We have twins," if you are seeing negatives in the main you need to be working with the school and your child as these updates are to help you. If that is too onerous then take your other child to Burroughs as a short way to make yourselves happier - it is also a good school and no need to stay where you are not satisfied.

Micds 2

Posted April 22, 2014
We have twins--one that goes to Burroughs and one MICDS. Now, unlike as others have said, if money is not a constraint, still do not put your child in MICDS. There is a definite difference between the two schools, both in Academics and Athletics. I will not digress so I will only talk about MICDS. The school in a general aspect lacks to help their students out, aside from a select few teachers. On top of this, it runs a crooked system called "quick comments" which basically is when a student does something academically or behaviorally wrong, instead of working the issue out with the student, the teacher will simply send a message to the parent of what the child has done. Not only does this provide a great amount of stress on the parents, it also gives a bad reputation for the student because EVERY single teacher is notified. Now moving on to my second point, I cannot agree more to a previous comment regarding the school prioritizing themselves over the student. This statement is clearly evident by the actions of upper management in the school, including Lisa Lyle, head of school. Now admittedly, the teachers are adequate and some are even extraordinary.

Micds 3

Posted February 09, 2014
I graduated from MICDS last year. I agree with one of the reviews that during the last few years, the school is all about money. I also know that many terrific teachers were asked to leave from the school. If money is not a problem and you are an overachiever with a high IQ then this school is probably right for you, and you should be able to handle the school demands. Otherwise, there are good public schools nearby that you can go to.

Micds 3

Posted February 01, 2014
The school has been of late just focussing on $.There have been conversations wherein the motto is to look in the interest of school and not the students.If money is not the constraint and want to say"my kid goes to" then good option otherwise sheer waste of money with substandard teachers.If you are from elite class then best school to be in since there is a huge untold differences in judgements passed to kids.

Posted January 11, 2014
This school, in my opinion, prepares students VERY well for the future... I think the High School is one of the best in the area. Caring teachers, a safe environment, and a spirited student body all contribute to the overwhelmingly positive experience this school gave to me.

Posted March 19, 2013
Among the many things you will receive as a student of MICDS, is an excellent education. While academics are certainly extremely rigorous, each child receives very individualized attention every step of the way. I have a child in the 9th grade and we applied to several schools for 7th grade (the grade my child entered MICDS), including John Burroughs and Villa Duchesne. She was accepted to all three but we chose MICDS for the following reasons: 1) the laptop program where each student receives their own laptop from 5th thru12th grade, 2) the middle schoolers are kept separate from the upper schoolers, in completely separate buildings, 3) a dress code which I find to be very appropriate and necessary due to the inappropriateness of some of today's fashions, 4) the advisory program where each child is matched with a faculty advisor as a "go to" person for the student and the parent, 5) the absolutely stellar academic and sport curriculum - there are so many choices it's mind boggling! There is truly something for everyone at this wonderful school and I just can't say enough about it. Diversity is very evident in the students as well as the faculty. Simply a fantastic school!

Posted February 11, 2013
Graduates of MICDS will be successful in college. That being said, is it worth the money? IF money is no object, then yes. A driven student could do just as well and be as prepared at a Public School. Do not automatically expect individual attention, especially for a quiet student. The teachers are good but their attention is soaked up by a few more boisterous students even with a small classroom size. Even an exceptional student may feel average here because the student body is so talented and has so many opportunities due to connections of its parents . Your student will be challenged and can excel at MICDS no matter what your social standing, but there are some down sides as well. Parental involvement is very strong here. You will as a parent feel excluded on some level if you are not wealthy and in the country club circle. Your student will feel it less because the kids are more accepting than the parents. Beasley ( elementary school) is awesome, Middle school less so ( maybe it is the aqe of the kids that makes this a less thrilling time in their lives) , Upper school ( 9-12) is like being in college. The campus is lovely, the nicest in St. Louis.

Posted January 25, 2012
We are delighted with MICDS! We transferred our three children to Beasley Lower School this year and have been astonished at the fantastic environment. Our chlidren look forward to going to school, are happy, and are excelling academically and socially. The environment is warm and friendly for both students and parents. I cannot recommend MICDS highly enough!

Posted November 21, 2011
To those who think that the MICDS community only has enrolled students who value money have not looked into the statistics that 23% of our student body is involved in our well renowned financial aid program. I am a student who is not on a scholarship, but have friends who are. That has never changed their chances of succeeding. Anyone who believes that students are bullied more than average has never seen what bullying truly is. MICDS changed my life, I went from fearing school to loving it. Everyday I wake up with a smile because I am in a safe environment were I can reach my full potential. Not once have I felt harassed because of financial reasons. This school is by far amazing

Micds