Posted November 23, 2014
This school is wonderful!!! My grandson loves it and is never bored. I am very happy that the 2 teachers he has had (K and 1st) understand his thought process and figured him out so he cannot manipulate them as he is capable of doing in a sweet way. The curriculum is keeps him interested and curious. Great, Great school!!!!!!! .

Posted September 19, 2014
We have two children attending GSA, one on the Smiley campus and one at the Middle/High School. Our oldest started when the school opened. I am not sure where people are getting the idea that subject matter is not being taught. She is an advanced student and scores well above grade level on MAP testing. The teachers have always recognized her abilities and offered open ended activities that were able to meet each student at their level. Our second child started in Kindergarten, and had an outstanding experience. There has been turn over with the administration but the transitions have been smooth. Lindenwood has a strong presence and support. The school is constantly growing and transitioning to better educate our children. I have been very impressed with the school.

Posted September 16, 2014
Terrible school! Cannot wait to move and get my child out of this school and into the Lindbergh school district. Terrible communication from the school and teachers. Teachers are unable to determine when a child needs extra help. Too much play time and not enough learning time. No discipline or communication regarding discipline. Parents, do not send your children here, you will be sorry.

Posted August 25, 2014
We pulled our child from this school after 2 years of horrible communication, high staff turn-over and several instances of dishonesty from the principal. The school only focuses on test scores and does not care about students at all. There is also a lot of bullying that goes on that is not addressed. Concept Schools runs this Charter and they are currently under investigation by the FBI. Look elsewhere for your child! Would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 06, 2014
Been trying to access their website for two days and I can't. They have big banner outside the school with the website address but the website in inaccessible. For many people, research begins with a visit to a website, it does for me anyway. It really says a lot when I can't access the site when the site is being advertised by the school. I called the school office and the woman told me the site was probably down because it was being worked on. Then she said the technical person in charge was out of the office for the day. So what is it? The site is being worked on or the technical person is not in the office?! Then she said the site is down sometimes. So is the site down because it's being worked on or because it is just down sometimes. Very frustrating experience.

Posted June 21, 2014
We pulled our children out if a great Catholic school, like many other friends we know. The school promised so many things in early town hall meetings. The first year was not too bad, but the next two years were horrible. The constant switching of principals, high turn over rate of teachers and a Dean of Students who is a bully. There were also teachers leaving who made some serious claims, of some highly illegal activity going on in the school. The focus is more about test scores and funding than anything else. We took our children out of the school after the third year. We have since tried to place them back in a Catholic school and were not successful. Our children had extensive entry tests at the Catholic school and we were told they are about two years behind. The principal at the Catholic school explained to me, that this is common in Charter schools. They focus on tests scores, but they don't teach the children how to get there. We were forced to homeschool and pay for private tutors to get our kids caught up. If you are considering this school or are there now, think about this if you were dealing with this before college!

Posted June 02, 2014
My Daughter has been at GSA for 3years now and we love it . . The teachers are amazing and work with parents to help the children succeed. They offer tutoring after school for free and it is facilitated by the classroom teacher. There are several activities and opportunities for parents to get involved. The curriculum is challenging and instills a strong work ethic in their students. So far we couldnt be happier. We have loved all 3 teachers we have had and my child has learned so much . We did have a new Principal this year and he is ok. He changed a few things that i dont beilive needed to be changed. They do need to quit worrying so much about the kids wearing belts and having there shirts tucked in . But other then that a great school... We are here for the long haul and I plan on sending my youngest when she starts school .

Posted May 27, 2014
The K-5 on Smiley is a very decent school. More communication would be helpful. That being said the Middle/High school building is horrific! The environment is not what I would consider a safe place for my child. She will not be returning next year. The administration (principal, dean of students) is a joke! They do absolutely nothing to garner the respect of the students or parents. They said a few years ago that there was a zero tolerance on bullying. Don't know where that went to. The kids know that the rules are joke and are rarely enforced so they act accordingly. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone.

Gateway Science Acad/St Louis 4

Posted April 03, 2014
My two children have attended GSA for a few years now and we absolutely LOVE it. The teachers are amazing and work with parents to help the children succeed. They offer tutoring after school for free and it is facilitated by the classroom teacher. There are several activities and opportunities for parents to get involved. The curriculum is challenging and instills a strong work ethic in their students. My children originally attended a private school and they did not receive the attention and support that they now have at GSA.

Gateway Science Acad/St Louis 2

Posted March 11, 2014
"Wow". I really have never seen this type of school in my life. This school does an unsatisfactory job of teaching students what they need to know. There is no teacher talking to a single student they will always be talking to a class. By that I mean there are too many students, and in classes there is no time for one student to ask questions or get involved. I am also very surprised that there is a character education class; teach you about how to be empathetic and act around others. They are almost trying to assume that all of the students will be rude and disrespectful to others. There is also no trust between students and some teachers this is one of the biggest things I feel; without trust how a nice environment could be formed. This school is not horrific there are some good people who do well, and have an understanding of sympathy.

Gateway Science Acad/St Louis
6576 Smiley Ave, St. Louis, MO  63139
Last modified Gateway Science Acad/St Louis is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gateway Science Acad/St Louis Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top