Bad
Good

I was a student of Hazelwood East Middle for 3 years in a row, my first two years were rough but the last year was wonderful. We had a lost in the school family in 2014 but The Staff was there with us supporting us and the family of the departed. I am glad in had the chance to go here and meet such great people and learn new things from excellent teachers.

I have two boys at this school, I must say that this school will work with those that want help. I feel like some of the teachers try to come up with new ways to teach. If I could change anything it would be to allow the children more free time at lunch. children should be allowed autonomy in middle school they should not be walking in a line to go to lunch or even having to be quiet at lunch time. My boy's say they don't like the school because of the kids, some of the kids are the cause or reason why the rules are so strict. I believe that they just need to learn a better way to deal with this problem and not punish the others.

I am glad to see that some of the more recent reviews are more positive. The problem with East Middle School have nothing to do with administration or teachers. As a parent dedicated to my son, I have seen him to very well here. His MAP scores came back very well. However, I also make sure that my son does his homework every night and studies for his tests. My son tells me that he is often the only one who does his homework. One of his teachers offered a study session for a big test. Besides him, only one other person bothered to show up. The problem is apathy among parents and students. A good education can be had here if you work for it.

My daughter attended this school in the 2007-2008 academic year. She is was 6th grade on Team 6A. She loved school and her teachers were amazing. When I asked her what she did in school that day, she always had an interesting response. Her teachers planned interactive activities, from creating a museum about Africa to playing fun math games, to teaching about the environment and visiting a landfill. I was truly sorry when we moved and I had to pull my daughter from EMS.

EMS is great! I have some great friends and my teachers really care about me. I was in the board game club last year, and I really liked it. Academic Excellence is annoying, but my teachers are still good. Don't believe the bad reviews. This is a whole different school!

I just read all of the reviews, and am greatly disappointed in the number of misspellings and grammar errors in the parent reviews. This was part of the problem when East Middle was Kirby Middle. Also, at no time were the 6th grade classes ranging from 30-34 students. At the time of that review, I taught 6th grade with a class size of 24 or so per class, which is very normal and manageable. The students had very dedicated teachers despite the many problems that often stemmed from problems originating in the neighborhood. Things have also improved since the school went from 1500 students to about 500 students this past year. Give East Middle a chance to show you that a high quality education is available for any student that attends!

Things have improved so much since Kirby became East Middle. The teachers are excellent, the class sizes are small, and my daughter gets challeneged. She sometimes complains about too much homework, but I don't think it's too much. She gets to do lots of engaging projects. The stereotypes about East Middle are simply wrong and need to be changed.

I love this school with all my heart.The teachers are great and so are the students.Just because of a stereo-type of a school doesn't make it bad. If teacher and other adults would stop calling us bad we could get better.

This school has a lot of problems. It is a challenging school. My son's teachers are great, though. He is in sixth grade, has really small classes (about 16 per class), and his teachers have high expectations for him. They want him to do well, even if other students and people in the school make it challenging.

Last modified East Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.