Bad
Good

Hawthorn is an excellent school. We have had multiple children attend HES and the staff is very caring and educated. My kids have had wonderful teachers at this school. My only complaint is the building needs to be updated and class sizes are getting too big so school may need expansion.

Some of the teachers in Hawthorn Elementary are very young and inexperienced. Consequently, the kids would not get and learn the education they deserve. On the contrary, they would lose confidence of their own ability as they are being believed that it is their fault! I had a couple of conversations with the principal but she would always side with he teachers! Therefore, If you can help it send your kids to other school like Henderson or any other school in Francis Howell District.

I think Hawthorn Elementary is wonderful! My daughter is in Kindergarten this year, and her teacher is amazing. She makes learning so much fun, and my daughter absolutely adores her.

This is my son's 3rd year at Hawthorn and we just love it! They really work with him to help develope his skills. The first year he has a bit of an issue with his attitude and his teachers really worked with him. In 1st grade he had the best teacher! She really encouraged him and he did wonerfully in her class. Now he is in the accelerated learning program and has tested higher than the other students for the same grade. This is just such a wonderful school! I grew up in California when they need to teach most everyone to speak english - they don't expect much from the students and just brush them off without encouragement - this is a totally different situation. Parents should realize how lucky they are to have a school that really cares about the individual child.

All of my kids have attended Hawthorn from kindgargen up; my fifth child is a second grader this year (2009-10). I cannot say enough about this school, the teachers, the staff and the wonderful learning environment there. I have found the teachers to be approachable, interested in input and very helpful. I can't imagine my kids going anywhere else. We have had nothing but positive experiences there from day 1.

I have several children in this school, all of which have attended since kindergarten. This year has been the worst year that I have had with the principles and assistant principle and one teacher. We have had problems on the bus and they didn't do anything about it. I am seriously thinking about pulling my kids out of the school. When the kids don't feel safe talking to a teacher I think that there is a problem. That school needs a new principle that we can go to and the problem be taken care of immediately. Even if it is with someone who has a kid in the school that they are close to. The kids are first not hurting another parents feelings.

I have a 1st & 3rd grader here. Class room teachers have been excellent each year. Overall, school is very good. This school is one of the smaller elementary schools in district, which in this case I think is a positive. The coverage area for this school includes a very wide range of income and family backgrounds, and I would guess ~ 5-10% of the students were born outside of US. This is great to have kids from 3 different continents in my kids class room. Aggregate exam scores for school are just a little above average, but that is mis-leading because if you take out the 'free & reduced lunch' category, every other cross-section / grouping is very good to ecellent.

We moved to go to this school! We had a lot of choices in this area but once we spent a little time with the staff and principal; we knew this is where we needed to be. We are now in our 5th year of having children here and I cannot think of safer and more positive environment for our children. Very, very pleased!

This is the worst school my kids have been to. The principal is very denigrating to the children in the school, treating them like they are much older; the emphasis here is not on learning, but on punishment. Every child is just a little soldier in the system. Seemingly, the only thing cared about in the office is liability, not the students. I understand the teaching in the disabled classes is good, but if your child is not special needs, his education will not be of importance here.

Last modified Hawthorn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.