No rating

Academy Of The Sacred Heart

Private | PK-8

Living in St. Charles

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $138,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted October 25, 2013

ASH-Academy of The Sacred Heart is TOP NOTCH. I have relocated all over the USA with my husband profession. We have always sent our children to Private Schools; this is by far the best. The students are well challenged in each subject by an energetic teaching staff (most multi-degreed), they know how to educate and inspire students, and genuinely care. This school is efficiently run by an strong administrative staff, headed by Sister Glavin an open-minded Nun who knows all the students by name, it is delightful to consistently see the children run up to her for a hug. The staff respect and adore her leadership. The school "Cornerstone" of all Sacred Heart Academy Schools System throughout the world -very unique system since they are independent of Rome. ASH nurtures each student's character and development, they push the student academically and offer Gender specific classroom in 6-8th class (grades). NO snobby parents here at all - leave that nonsense up to the wanna bees. Their sports program is run very well - so is the band, Spanish, French & Arts program. Well worth the investment in your child. Beautiful clean campus. Well prepared for high school.

Posted December 5, 2012

I LOVE this school...everything about it. I disagree with the comment above regarding the inability to differentiate in curriculum. We chose the academy for that very reason. Our son has a very high IQ and is challenged regularly at ASH, whereas he was extremely bored in public school. It shows in his excitement for learning and personal love for the school. Additionally, the bar is set high and they teach children up, not to the lowest common denominator. Believing in the children, their well beings and abilities is the greatest thing about ASH.

Posted June 13, 2012

I graduated this year, and I will miss the Academy a lot! Having gone here since Pre-Primary (Pre-K) at the age of four, and graduating from 8th class as a young lady of 14, I feel that this school is the main reason I am truly a young lady, not only in name, but in mannerism and character also. The teacher would always tell us, "When you pass an adult in the hall, you step to the right, and say 'Good Morning/Afternoon' with a smile." We learned not only courtesy, but book knowledge and the common sense to draw understanding from the information we learned; as an eighth grader, this type of education opened many doors and provided many opportunities for me in high school, and I'm sure the skills I learned will help me beyond that in life. We also had teachers that were both teachers, role models, and approachable people who were willing to help. these teachers were always full of enthusiasm about their class subject, and the subject of our school's history (which is quite extensive). The traditions, the history, the kind people, and the unique character of this school is what made it my home for 10 yrs., and I know even now, when I am not a student, I will still have a place here.

Posted April 17, 2011

I miss this school so much. I graduated last year. To me, this place is my home. I went there from primary to 8th grade, and it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. Everyone in my class is like my brothers and sisters, and we do our best to stay in touch. The academics are amazing. I probably learned more in a month there than I have in a year at my high school. The teachers are great, and Mrs. Hopper was the best principal ever. I'm so grateful we go to have her for our last year there.

Posted April 11, 2009

As a 7th grade student I have seen just about everything there is to see about the Academy, except the 8th grade classrooms, of course :). The curriculum is very challenging, and an average student here would be an A student anywhere else. I'm convinced this is the best school out there! So don't go to Borromeo across the street. Come to ASH! You'll love it! So much!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 5, 2008

After being involved in the school for over 8 years we found it necessary to take our children out and place them in a public school environment. The school is not equipped to teach to children of all abilities. They cannot teach to a child who is behind or ahead of the class. They must be at the same ability as the rest. They have no differentiated education plan.

Posted December 18, 2006

Both of my children received a quality instrumental music education at The Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles. They studied with Frank Goessler and both went on to qualify for the St. Louis District Concert Band, Jazz Band and Orchestra. They both were members of the All-Sate Ensembles all four years of high school, and both received college scholarships. Their travels to musical events while in high school and college, took them not only all over the United States, but to Canada the Netherlands, and Prague. All of their musical endeavors can be traced to the fundamentals that were provided at Sacred Heart Academy and their music teachers.

Posted December 5, 2006

Indeed, the Academy of the Sacred Heart is the standard to which I compare all others. I attended the Academy from Pre-Primary through 8th Class. From day one, the school teaches discipline, respect for others/elders, politeness, and responsibility -- and it all continues for the remaining 10 years. Even in college, I found myself saying 'Thank you' to each professor after each class. In my own words, the Academy implements a curriculum based on self-discipline and rigorous academics. The Academy alone prepared me for life more than my high school and college years combined. In fact, I am most grateful for my mastery of the English language, exceptional writing abilities, and articulate communication skills that it has given me. Even the after-school athletic programs are first-rate (champs in track&field/volleyball/basketball/etc.) -- they prepare students for competitive high school sports. ASH is the epitome of excellence. My kids will be Academy kids.

Posted March 28, 2006

As an Academy graduate, I must say that there are not enough superlatives to accurately describe this school. I quite literally learned more by 8th grade than I learned in my senior year of college at a supposedly top-flight private university. The Academy is academically challenging and tradition rich. During my eight years there, I developed an unparalleled skill set for the rest of my life. I am one of the top professionals in my field thanks to the Academy's foundation of logical analysis, cross-disciplinary approach to the topic at hand, and a mastery of the English language. We were also taught to be polite and well-mannered at all times and to participate in the world around us through the school's various events and fundraisers. This is, in my humble opinion, the finest school in the nation, and the model by which others should be measured. -Michelle Wallis

Posted January 6, 2006

I attended the Academy, I am now 23. I have just received my double undergraduate degree in Art History and Fiber/Textiles from the Kansas City Art Institute. The 'Academy' is the standard to which I compare all others. They educate the entire child. Though it may seem regimented at times, it is all necessary. That school prepared me more for any aspect of life than my highschool and college combined. I can not express how important the parent involvement is, not so much from a social aspect, but from the educational; the curriculum is so strong and organized that the parents need not worry about that like they may at other schools; the teachers know what they are doing, they know what they are teaching. So help your children learn it, and help them appreciate it and support their desire to learn. I loved every second there.

Posted September 7, 2005

If you want a school where the children are polite, manners and hard work are appreciated and a pursuit of excellence is everywhere, this is the school to pick. It is mainly middle to upper income families, and the parents are unusually involved and supportive of the programs. The reason they send their children here is to avoid the horror in the public schools in the area, and to have a higher level of learning than available at church schools in the area. No doubt, since 1818, this is one of the top schools period in the greater St. Louis area.

Posted July 19, 2005

this school has been academically challenging for my children. understandably, this school is very conservative, but i have found it too insulating to my children. there are very few minorities enrolled or employed. the majority of the children enrolled are from upper income families, and a lot of the children seem to have learned about attitudes of entitlement at a very early age. while i rated the overall quality of this school at a 4, i would send my children elsewhere if i could have the chance to do it again.

Posted October 12, 2004

This school combines challenging academics, daily physical education, strong parental involvement, and high expectations for character, courtesy, self-discipline, and independence. The school's teachers have excellent credentials, present material in creative and engaging ways, and are alert to individual student's talents and abilities. The curriculum shows clear and purposeful direction in academic and personal growth. Students are taught organizational skills and independence in stages appropriate to their age and maturity. Faith and community service are an integral part of the school's mission.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of St. Louis

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

619 North 2nd Street