Mason Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 404 students

Posted July 31, 2014

My son and I love this school!! He has been there since preschool in special education. He received occupational therapy and speech therapy. We were always informed of his progress. And he always met his goals. All of his teachers were always hands on and truly cared. He will be entering First grade and will no longer need special education. Thanks to his wonderful teachers! He has never had any issues with bullies, thankfully. I agree parking could be better though. The school understands that we don't live in a society where they can keep the doors unlocked. So I don't mind waiting for a staff member to let us in. They do what's best for the children.

Posted July 16, 2014

Please dont try to find some where to park and have to go in and pick up your child. I had to park on the carwash parking lot. Then you have to wait by the door and wait for someone to walk by for you to get your child really bad in the winter time. So pretty much teacher are no where to be found didnt know it would be this hard to pick my kid up in the evenings or drop her off

Posted April 25, 2014

it seems like this school is even worse than a few weeks ago.being bullied. and nothing is being done about it. from kids in his class and higher grade levels. a group of older kids (6th graders) crowded around him and one of them punched him in the back of the head. so nobody is getting i trouble for it since my son doesn't know who hit him. not a bit of communication is going on. before my child went here he was in the gifted classes at his old school. and he loved to read. strait a's .now he is not bringing his homework home, would rather stare at the wall than pick up a book, and it seems like he is being singled out. he is also getting write ups. which never happended before. i would rather home school my son than send him here. i really hate this school.

Posted April 24, 2014

My son has been in the preschool program for two years. The teachers are very caring and easy to talk to. He knows his alphabet, how to count to 100, do simple math, work in teams, read and write some sentences, and explained "metamorphosis" to me! He is very well prepared for Kindergarten. Parents are friendly and welcomed helping with events and in the classrooms, a recent trivia night had more than 200 people. The school is in a great neighborhood, and has a community garden, but the outdoor play area could be improved - basically a parking lot with a small playground. The school is fully accredited and is an "autonomous" school meaning that it fits in the highest performing SLPS category. Diversity at this school is exceptional. Agree that the nurse is not friendly.

Posted February 5, 2013

I have two children currently attending Mason school. My son in second grade has been there since pre-K and my daughter in Kindergarten since pre-K. The school has come a long way since we started there. The teachers are wonderful and they treat the kids with such love it's as if they are family. The kids have gotten to go on many wonderful field trips, participate in choirs at Powell Symphony Hall, and belong to an awesome after care program that is 100% free. I give the school 5 stars!!!

Posted January 31, 2013

My son, who is in special education, attends Mason. I am extremely impressed with the teachers and administration in response to all of his needs. I often have daily contact with his teacher on his progress so we can work hand in hand with his educational goals.

Posted December 11, 2012

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! After months of searching for a good school for my child, I found Mason. The teachers and staff are wonderful. Very involved in each child, which is good because I am very involved with my childs education, and the teachers have a wonderful open door policy. My child loves this school and has quickly made new friends, so its easier for my child to focus more on schoolwork. Very safe neighborhood too. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted December 9, 2012

Unfortunately I cannot give this school a good rating. My daughter has been bullied relentlessly and the staff has ignored our cries for help. I even went all the way to the superintendent and was ignored. Her teacher is great, and even acknowledged how bad the bullying was, but the staff still does nothing. The staff threatens the children that misbehave and tell them they will send them back to kindergarten. They get in their face, yell, etc. There is a reason this school has a rating of 3 out of 10. Parent involvement is almost a ZERO. The staff that does try to help, well, their hands are tied because the vice principal and principal turn their heads. It's a sad situation all around and I really hope Mason gets their act together soon.

Posted November 20, 2012

My son attends Mason, and is in special education. Hes now in third grade and has been a student sense kindergarden. His teachers have been wonderful! They work very close with him and he has met goals in is IEP. Not to mention the principal is very involved in all of her students education. I would recommend Mason to anybody with school aged children.

Posted October 29, 2012

I have the highest faith in both teachers of my twin boy's.My hat is off to them,as the boy's are like day vrs night,I thought I was the only one who could ever figure them out,but both teachers seem to have a firm under standing of both children already this year / the same as last years review from Mrs Casey all the way to principal Leto.I feel that mason provides a VERY STRONG learning and disciplinary environment for my children,and they love it.

Posted February 19, 2012

Im really not sure about this school. My son is in kintergarden and he is doing AWESOME!!! BUT I have a 6th grader also at mason elementary and right now we are having issues. Bullying is not an option or accepted anywhere and Im trying to figure out why there is nothing being done about it. My child ha s been attending mason for only a couple months in which I have already been to the school twice to discuss this and has been dealing with the same child that has been bullying mine since she walked through the doors.That same child threatend AGAIN my child most recently, it also happend on a field trip. Keep in mind they said and sent home a form for a partent to sign, that if ANY child acted disrupitive in any way, that they would be suspended and removed from the 6th grade lock in. Now I stand on the fact that making threats to another child in ANY way is grounds for action. Especially since this has been a continuous situation. I will see how we will handle this situation, and keep an update....until then.

Posted July 17, 2011

All my children have attended Mason E-Mints and they have all loved it, they have all been successful here at Mason as well I would definatly refer others to the school for many reasons..Diversity, great teachers,beautiful enviroment and neighborhood...great principal..overall great school

Posted March 25, 2011

My child gets singled out here on a regular basis. They act as if they are trying to help, yet he gets suspended over nothing regularly. I see other students doing the same stuff, yet they do not get in trouble. Do not send your child here if he/she has any type IEP prior to enrolling.

Posted November 5, 2010

My daughter started Mason last year for kindergarten. We had a few issues last year w/ suspension over silly things but I think they were just trying to make a point which is a good thing. This year in 1st grade she is doing amazing. I love the teachers, the principal and just the staff period. They work extra hard with parents to figure out what works best with our families and thats very important to me. I appreciate the cultural diversity and what my daughter has learned about other cultures. A huge thing I would like to add is that even though there are who knows how many other cutures in this school, they still recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning together in the gym, whereas lots of schools no longer do. This is probably one of the most cultural diverse schools in Missouri, it's amazing!

Posted September 22, 2010

my son went there last year and I absolutely hate this school! He was in kindergarten and broke his nose, nobody thought it was important enough to call me or send a note home. He got off the bus and I knew right away it was broken. He was also lost at school the 3rd day, never got off the bus and nobody could find him at first. My older son got in trouble for bringing a comb to school that looked like a switch blade, it was old and plastic. I understand he shouldnt have brought it, but I didnt think anything of it. He has never been in trouble before. Once again, no phone call or note. He came home crying because his 3rd grade teacher called him a liar and made him write 3 paragraphs apologizing for it. I would NEVER send them back to that school.

Posted September 30, 2009

my son has been attending Mason since his first day in kindergarten and he's had a good run there. They have excellent teachers, and are doing their best with the limits that are placed on them by the present school system's issues.

Posted November 5, 2008

I have four children attending this school. I love the teachers and the principal. I feel this school cares that my children succeed in their education

Posted October 2, 2008

This my children s first time attending Mason elementary. So far I think it is a good school, but then again it is only the beginning of the year. I will however at the end of the year give another statement of how or what I feel about this school. My personal opinion honestly is that everything in life is a great experience we learn more and more each time.

Posted August 23, 2006

My children attend Mason and I am somewhat pleased with the school. I feel that disruption is their biggest downfall. There are some many disruptions in the classrooms, that the children never really get full attention from the teacher with respect to learning. The school provides standard arts, music, and gym. They offer no other extracurricular activities. Many times they have 10 minutes for recess per day due to behavior in the classrooms. My children are very happy there and I feel at ease with the teachers at Mason. The teachers are very open to talk to the parents when needed, or not needed. I think if the disruptions were not in the classrooms this school would excel.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 49% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 54% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 52% in 2013.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

All Students34%
Free or reduced-price lunch36%

All Students48%
Free or reduced-price lunch47%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students38%

Free or reduced-price lunch31%

All Students41%
Free or reduced-price lunch42%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

All Studentsn/a
Free or reduced-price lunchn/a

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6031 Southwest Ave